Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on this pre-built system?

Options
  • 02-09-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm new to Ireland (originally from Canada) and Im staying over for 3 years so would be interested in purchasing a desktop computer for my place. My primary uses are homework (schooling here), photoshop, and maybe some light gaming. I had a look around some Irish and UK websites and most of the stuff being sold to be quite honest is robbery (500+ euro for a desktop with a Celery in it).

I found this online from Amazon Germany and with shipping for about 20 Euro, total 415 Euro:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01DZWUUKE/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4

Comes with an AMD A10-7850K, 16 gigs of RAM, 120 gb SSD, 1 TB HDD, and Windows 10.

Is this a good deal in your opinion? Can you build something better for cheaper? Might add an old AMD HD 7850 to it aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Jlayay wrote: »
    I'm new to Ireland (originally from Canada) and Im staying over for 3 years so would be interested in purchasing a desktop computer for my place. My primary uses are homework (schooling here), photoshop, and maybe some light gaming. I had a look around some Irish and UK websites and most of the stuff being sold to be quite honest is robbery (500+ euro for a desktop with a Celery in it).

I found this online from Amazon Germany and with shipping for about 20 Euro, total 415 Euro:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01DZWUUKE/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4

Comes with an AMD A10-7850K, 16 gigs of RAM, 120 gb SSD, 1 TB HDD, and Windows 10.

Is this a good deal in your opinion? Can you build something better for cheaper? Might add an old AMD HD 7850 to it aswell.

PC parts tend to be more expensive in Europe than north america, and sales tax is around 20% making things worse.

That's not a great processor to be honest, the AMD I mean. If your budget is limited would you consider second hand?

Otherwise thread with a similar budget here if you are willing to build yourself

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057640031

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Lu Tze wrote: »
    PC parts tend to be more expensive in Europe than north america, and sales tax is around 20% making things worse.

That's not a great processor to be honest, the AMD I mean. If your budget is limited would you consider second hand?

Otherwise thread with a similar budget here if you are willing to build yourself

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057640031

Yes, my max would be around 500 Euro but would prefer to keep costs down unless there's a huge performance difference.

Is the i3 really better than AMD?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you have a GPU, i3 is much better than any AMD chip, the iGPU is better in AMD chips, but that's only applicable in builds under €500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you intend playing any sort of serious games, the AMD chip is pretty poor - in terms of both CPU and GPU power.

AMD's APU's excel for people who want to play stuff like Minecraft, FIFA, World of Warships, World of Warcraft, Counter Strike, and that class of title - games that are not particularly intensive and generally run better on AMD's integrated GFX than they do on Intel's HD graphics.

With the same dedicated GPU, even a €120 RX460, an i3 can get double the framerate of that 7850K in the latest games, despite the AMD CPU having four physical cores (i3 only has two). That socket is also dead end, meaning it cannot be upgraded, where an i3 based build will not only last for years, but is also up-gradable to i5 or i7.

As systems go, that pre-built is certainly not bad value at all, but just be aware of what it can and can't do, and what upgrade paths are available to you (in this case none, and it will struggle in many AAA titles even with a good graphics card).

I would say if that's your budget, go 2nd hand, 400-450 will get you a solid enough machine with more upgrade options and more graphical grunt.

Advertisement