Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M&S price gouging

• 02-09-2016 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Was looking at M&S website for offers before I left work and seen this gem:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/s/food-and-wine/in-store-offers

Pizza & prosecco for £10.

So allowing for currency differences I was expecting to pay 12.50 / 13 € at most.
    Shock horror to discover they were charging €15 when I popped into the Mary st shop.
    That's a 50% markup on the UK price the most blatant example of price gouging I've ever seen not to mention currency difference is so narrow at the moment.
    Needless to say I didn't purchase the deal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

technocrat wrote: »

So allowing for currency differences I was expecting to pay 12.50 / 13 € at most.
    Shock horror to discover they were charging €15 when I popped into the Mary st shop.
    That's a 50% markup on the UK price the most blatant example of price gouging I've ever seen not to mention currency difference is so narrow at the moment.

Are you joking? Have you considered differences in vat, economy of scale, transportation of goods etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

There's a HUGE difference in Irish and British tax on alcohol.
    Ireland charges one of, if not the, highest rates in Europe on wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thats probably explained by the crazy duty on wine/alcohol in Ireland. This has come up a couple of times and it was found to be mainly down to tax. Never mind the ridiculous cost of doing business in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You need to work on your sums. 5 euro is not 50% of £10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

Major thread fail. And with the quality of M&S food this should actually be in the bargains thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Never mind the ridiculous cost of doing business in ireland.

If I remember correctly, that was calculated as 6% higher than the UK, so not in the realms of "ridiculous"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

davo10 wrote: »
    Are you joking? Have you considered differences in vat, economy of scale, transportation of goods etc?

Yes I have.
    How come the NI prices aren't higher then considering the transportation costs would be the same.
    The vat rates aren't that much higher when you look into.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/alcohol-tobacco

20% against 21% here hmm..

cml387 wrote: »
    Major thread fail. And with the quality of M&S food this should actually be in the bargains thread.

Go knock yourself out then.
    They had a stand with guy giving out free samples so hardly selling that well.
    People aren't fools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Duty on sparkling wine in Ireland is €6.38

In the UK its £2.67

So excluding duty the UK price is £7.37 and Irish price is €8.62

At current exchange rate of 1.193 the ex duty price is slightly lower in Ireland.

20% against 21% here hmm..

Vat in Ireland is 23%.

No vat on many foodstuffs in Ireland or uk.

Imo, the biggest rip off people are Ryanair on board food. €2.50 for a Twix bar, €2.50 for a minuture can of coke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

bpmurray wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, that was calculated as 6% higher than the UK, so not in the realms of "ridiculous"

Minimum wage Ireland €9.15, minumum wage uk £6.70 (€7.97 at today's 1-1.19 exchange rate), that's around 14% difference on workforce costs which tend to be the highest cost for all businesses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Minimum wage Ireland €9.15, minumum wage uk £6.70 (€7.97 at today's 1-1.19 exchange rate), that's around 14% difference on workforce costs which tend to be the highest cost for all businesses.

That minimum wage rate only kicks in after 2 years of employment, according to my very disappointed son. Its only €7.40ish for the first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But 2 years on a lower wage gives the inexperienced worker those 2 years of experience that most employers want - if employers had to pay full wage to beginners, why would they bother, just get someone with experience.

It's known fact the M&S pay well above the minimum wage.
    I would say the London gain probably equates to Irish wages.

I'm in Warwickshire for the next few days. Just bought diesel from a Texaco garage in a town called Binley.

It was £1.19 per litre. That's about €1.42.

The Texaco on the tallaght bypass was €1.16 last week.

If I went by the original post, it would mean I'm being ripped off here in UK. Sure they are both Texaco garages!

Btw, its feckin expensive here. A "spit" of whiskey (25ml) cost £4 in the pub last night. A glass of crap wine cost £6 in the pub. Can't wait to get back to Stepaside.

Walter2016 wrote: »
    I'm in Warwickshire for the next few days. Just bought diesel from a Texaco garage in a town called Binley.

It was £1.19 per litre. That's about €1.42.

The Texaco on the tallaght bypass was €1.16 last week.

If I went by the original post, it would mean I'm being ripped off here in UK. Sure they are both Texaco garages!

Btw, its feckin expensive here. A "spit" of whiskey (25ml) cost £4 in the pub last night. A glass of crap wine cost £6 in the pub. Can't wait to get back to Stepaside.

You just prove my point that cost of living doesn't differ that much between here and the UK but yet the markup by some UK shops is excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shock horror

I would probably a nervous wreck if I was to follow the rule of being shocked and horrified after I check out the price of food & drink in other countries before buying it here, and needless to say I would not by buying it so would starve or at least be a lot leaner.

Advertisement