Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner buying used DH MTB

Options
  • 02-09-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

Would anyone recommend a beginner MTB'er buy a second hand DH bike? Its probably more bike than I'd know what to do with now but something I want to get into.

The local club (roadies) do MTB spins in the winter, mostly XC type spins. I'd like to do these at first and then get into more enduro/DH stuff as my skill increases.

I'm looking at second hand DH bikes but am wondering would they last or are they mostly just someone getting rid of a bike thats worn out. They seem very cheap for what they are (then again do I really know?)

Not sure about this, just looking for advice really.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Unless you specifically want to do DH only then I don't think it's a DH bike you want. You see loads of DH bikes going cheap as lads starting out quickly figure out it's not suited for the purpose intended. Generally you'll need an uplift service of some description.

You wont be pedaling any distance worth talking about on a proper DH bike without losing your mind.

I'd imagine it's an enduro or trail bike you're after. These usually come with 120-160mm travel.

This looks decent for dipping your toes and will be well able for the club spins you describe.

http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/scott-mountain-bike/11239421

Enduro

d46160b2d02e4caa7c0d959966fba.jpg

Downhill

f15e81532204bdb4a279a838d7d83.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ahhh ... pedalling on a gravity-sledge; *BOING*BOING*BOING*BOING*BOING*BOING*BOING*BOING*BOING*

OP, as iwillhtfu (interesting abbreviated name if I've assumed it correctly) has said, you most likely want an Enduro/Trail bike. If I may make a suggestion, if you're a beginner to mountain biking, it might be more advantageous to look at a hard-tail so you can learn some very useful skills without either having to compensate for rear-suspension (or having rear-suspension compensate for you). There are hard-tail offerings that will give some mid-level full-sussers a run for their money owing to a combination of slack geometry and long wheelbases. Also bear in mind that as fun as full-suspension beasties are, they do also require more maintenance, particularly in the winter months.

Advertisement