Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strand Road Sutton

Options
  • 02-09-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

What's the story with cyclists thinking it's ok to use the stretch of path from Sutton DART station to the cross. I'm a local and a cyclist, I walk down to the local gym 4 days a week and I'm amazed at the amount of road and recreational cyclists using the path and expecting pedestrians to get out of the way.

Last Tuesday a girl, her child in a buggy and her friend had to to pull in to suit a roadie. I was coming the opposite direction with my wife and we had to go single breast to facilitate man on bike.

I know the volume of traffic has increased exponentially on that stretch over the last few years but I go with the flow on my frequent rides. I'm at a loss to understand why guys can't go down the outside of the left lane to ther lights or just stop and go with the flow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Etc wrote: »
    ... I'm amazed at the amount of road and recreational cyclists using the path and expecting pedestrians to get out of the way. ..
    Unfortunately it works both ways. Move a few kms south and you'll be amazed and the amount of recreational pedestrians using the dedicated cycle track and expect cyclists to get out of the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in the grand tradition of 'things don't happen in a vacuum' (and i'm not endorsing cycling on the footpath), isn't this road extremely narrow for the volume of traffic it carries?
    the main reason i remember this is due to a couple of extremely close passes i've had from motorists while trying to 'go with the flow' - i.e. cycling on the road when the traffic is not backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's no excuse for cycling on the foot path and being an ass hole to pedestrians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There's no excuse for cycling on the foot path and being an ass hole to pedestrians

Refer you to post 2 in this thread.^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Refer you to post 2 in this thread.^^^

Pointing at other people behaving badly seems to be the standard response from cyclists who are taken to task for their bad behaviour.

It is a pathetic strawman argument and holds no water, that someone else somewhere is doing something they shouldn't does not excuse you doing something wrong, never has, never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The road has bad surface while the path is lot smoother. I only wish pedestrians would wake up when cyclists are approaching and let us pass them rather than us hanging back and waiting for said pedestrian to get a move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The road has bad surface while the path is lot smoother. I only wish pedestrians would wake up when cyclists are approaching and let us pass them rather than us hanging back and waiting for said pedestrian to get a move on.

On the footpath? You have some cheek.

As a matter of principal I wouldn't be giving way to any cyclist illegally using a pavement. Same as I wouldn't expect a cyclist to dismount and move out of the way of a motorised vehicle illegally using a reserved cycle path.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm at a loss to understand why guys can't go down the outside of the left lane to ther lights or just stop and go with the flow.
    if memory serves, the road is too narrow to do this safely, if there's oncoming traffic?
    i think i can vaguely remember doing an on-path 'undertake' of a motorist these who was sitting a couple of inches from the kerb. wouldn't have done it with pedestrians nearby though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Not any more. The surface from Baldoyle to Sutton is great now.

I've often wondered if there was a cycle track over the wall between Baldoyle and the DART station given the number of people cycling in there. At least that path wider than the other side of the tracks heading to Sutton Cross.

Like others have said, the width of the road and traffic volume (especially after waiting at the train crossing) is probably why some cycle on the path. I imagine some would feel intimidated with a large number of cars behind them unable to overtake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Pointing at other people behaving badly seems to be the standard response from cyclists who are taken to task for their bad behaviour.

It is a pathetic strawman argument and holds no water, that someone else somewhere is doing something they shouldn't does not excuse you doing something wrong, never has, never will.

Are you serious? The cyclist in question doesn't appear to be a poster here, and yet you claim their response is pathetic for being taken to task? Did you take the cyclist in question to task?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Pointing at other people behaving badly seems to be the standard response from cyclists People who are taken to task for their bad behaviour.

I've fixed that for you. :) I see your point but cyclists don't have sole rights to being assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What's the story with cyclists thinking it's ok to use the stretch of path from Sutton DART station to the cross. I'm a local and a cyclist, I walk down to the local gym 4 days a week and I'm amazed at the amount of road and recreational cyclists using the path and expecting pedestrians to get out of the way.

Last Tuesday a girl, her child in a buggy and her friend had to to pull in to suit a roadie. I was coming the opposite direction with my wife and we had to go single breast to facilitate man on bike.

I know the volume of traffic has increased exponentially on that stretch over the last few years but I go with the flow on my frequent rides. I'm at a loss to understand why guys can't go down the outside of the left lane to ther lights or just stop and go with the flow.

Simple thing to do is don't move out of their way. Give them the same hassle you would get for walking in a cycle Lane.

Also if they run into you, ensure you have a witness and call the garda.

Works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hold on, I'm tapping into the collective cycling consciousness, I'll have an answer shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hold on, I'm tapping into the collective cycling consciousness, I'll have an answer shortly...

Carry on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Assuming this is actually Station Road that is in question, yes it's dangerously narrow but the stretch from the level-crossing past Suttonians to the cross on the south side of the road looks like it could potentially be a dedicated cycleway. Seems to be enough room afaics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Simple thing to do is don't move out of their way. Give them the same hassle you would get for walking in a cycle Lane.

Also if they run into you, ensure you have a witness and call the garda.

Works both ways.

Pedestrians are a lot worse than cyclists in this regard. Most cyclists do obey the cycle lanes alas pedestrians always roam about on cycle lanes as if they don't exist. When I finally come on to a path with no cycling lane it is almost better since I have greater freedom, not crapped on cycling lane with the possibility of an unfortunate incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

tricky D wrote: »
    Assuming this is actually Station Road that is in question, yes it's dangerously narrow but the stretch from the level-crossing past Suttonians to the cross on the south side of the road looks like it could potentially be a dedicated cycleway. Seems to be enough room afaics.
    This is in the pipeline according to a local Councillor who I spoke to last night.

Advertisement