Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roads to avoid

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

i haven't cycled it, but it's a bit of a weird 'not a dual carriageway' dual carriageway.

It has one lane and one bus lane on either side. However, the bus lane is now a normal lane, because the signs are gone and the road markings are faded. So it's two lanes either side now. But it is the R139. So I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

cycled through ranelagh today for the first time in years. is the cycle lane there ever clear? i appreciate it's a sunday, and i think parking is allowed, but i don't ever remember seeing the inbound side of the main stretch free of parked cars.
    I get a clear run about one day every two weeks.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    There's a nice little cycling/walking run between Roly's in Ballsbridge and Bective club in Donnybrook, though, which takes you right off any road along the other side of the park by the river.

Good idea, must try that again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dfeo wrote: »
    I was actually considering cycling to work. I need to shed a big belly :P and the exercise is great. This would take me on the R139. I heard bad things about this from a colleague.
    Is there any truth to this or is he exaggerating?

It's the road that goes from Bewley's Hotel along by St. Michael's House and the Traveller's Site and up as far as the Hilton is anyone knows it.
    It's fine. Well I've never had any problems on it.

Beasty uses it regularly so may have a more up to date comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was actually considering cycling to work. I need to shed a big belly :P and the exercise is great. This would take me on the R139. I heard bad things about this from a colleague.
    Is there any truth to this or is he exaggerating?

It's the road that goes from Bewley's Hotel along by St. Michael's House and the Traveller's Site and up as far as the Hilton is anyone knows it.

The R139( aka N32) is on my commute. It's fine if you are a confident cyclist. If your not used to it, I suspect it can feel quite intimidating at first. Don't cycle "in the gutter", cycle at least a meter out from the kerb and force any traffic in the left lane to pass you by moving into the right lane. If you cycle too close to the kerb the traffic will pass you by inches at 100+kph!

I only cycle from the hotel to Malahide road direction. I avoid it completely on the way home as I don't fancy having to round the roundabout to turn up toward Stocking Lane! Much easier to go up the Malahide road instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

07Lapierre wrote: »
    traffic will pass you by inches at 100+kph!

I drive on that road at the moment, isn't the speed limit 60 km/h ?? I regularly see cars exceeding the speed limit. No where to out a van though, apart from the hatch markings.

• Advertisement

I drive on that road at the moment, isn't the speed limit 60 km/h ?? I regularly see cars exceeding the speed limit. No where to out a van though, apart from the hatch markings.

Yes it's 60kph....I drive it too and 80 to 100 is the norm.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's fine. Well I've never had any problems on it.

Beasty uses it regularly so may have a more up to date comment.
    Only travel eastbound along it. Never had any issues at all. Although the bus lanes were discontinued maybe 8 years or so ago (and no buses had been along the road as a regular route for a few years before), many motorists still insist on using the outside lane probably oblivious to the fact it's no longer a bus lane. As Lapierre says traffic can be a bit fast sometimes, but the limit is 60

When did it change from the N32 to the R139?
    ...I don't fancy having to round the roundabout to turn up toward Stocking Lane!....
    Predictive text? Stockhole Lane. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Predictive text? Stockhole Lane. ;)

Think it changed when they got rid of the bus lanes.

Shame the teleportation device that brings you to Stocking Lane without needing to traverse the city appears to have been a typo mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Pretty much the whole route from Skerries to the airport (mentioned in the first few posts) is rough road surface. I commute this way and on Friday got Tannus tyres put on my alu commuter.
    Yesterday was the first day on these tyres and before coming to work tonight I had to remove my bell, as the bike rattles so much in places I was sounding like a demented ice-cream van!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Pretty much the whole route from Skerries to the airport (mentioned in the first few posts) is rough road surface. I commute this way and on Friday got Tannus tyres put on my alu commuter.
    Yesterday was the first day on these tyres and before coming to work tonight I had to remove my bell, as the bike rattles so much in places I was sounding like a demented ice-cream van!

If you wear a watch, take it off when you hit a road surface like this, or it's liable to break. I had the same thing on my Marathon back tyre on the Pearse Street cycle path into town today. I think the problem is that the gravel under the top layer of tar are supposed to be flattened gradually by being driven over by heavy cars. On a bike lane this doesn't happen.

P_1 wrote: »
    Think it changed when they got rid of the bus lanes....
    That might be just co-incidental as a change from N to R usually means that TII is no longer responsible for its maintenance.

.. got Tannus tyres put on my alu commuter.
    Yesterday was the first day on these tyres....!
    It's was your first day on Tannus tyres and you found Skerries to Airport to be rough? Wait till you go elsewhere. That road is fine - I use it regularly on Tannus tyres. There are much worse surfaces out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not sure why they changed the road numbers but it happened about 2 years ago. A lot of N roads inside the M50 belt were changed to R. N32 to R139, N81 to R137, N4 to R148 and plenty of others.

N is National. What's R?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

N is National. What's R?
    See below
    National Primary Roads are numbered from N1 to N50 (motorway sections are signed with M prefix instead of N ).
    National Secondary Roads are numbered from N51 to N99.
    Regional Roads are numbered from R100 to R999.
    Local Primary Roads are numbered from L1000 to L4999.
    Local Secondary Roads are numbered from L5000 to L8999.
    Local Tertiary Roads are numbered from L10001 to L89999 with the first 4 digits representing the Local Primary or Secondary road it is off. Local Tertiary roads which are unrelated to a Local Primary or Secondary road are given numbers from L90000 up.

N is National. What's R?

Regional?

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they changed the road numbers but it happened about 2 years ago. A lot of N roads inside the M50 belt were changed to R. N32 to R139, N81 to R137, N4 to R148 and plenty of others.
    Usually only happens after a motorway opens in the same vicinity. The N1 became the R132 in 2003 after the M1 opened north of the airport. Same with the N2, N3, N4 etc. when the M2, M3, M4 opened. When they become an R road, the local Co Councils become responsible for their maintenance.

Usually only happens after a motorway opens in the same vicinity. The N1 became the R132 in 2003 after the M1 opened north of the airport. Same with the N2, N3, N4 etc. when the M2, M3, M4 opened. When they become an R road, the local Co Councils become responsible for their maintenance.

I wish they'd call roads something ordinary. Call the M50 the PH Pearse Motorway, it would be easier to remember, even if the engineers use the numbers! (The new outer ring motorway can be the Thomas MacDonagh Motorway!) And don't start me on roundabouts - they have the right idea in Galway, naming them clearly after the Tribes, and having big signs on them so you know which one you're at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you imagine the fuss and the jockeying from local politicians if they started naming roads like that?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

can you imagine the fuss and the jockeying from local politicians if they started naming roads like that?
    Just tell them they can't have one until they are dead. That should shut them up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

cycled through ranelagh today for the first time in years. is the cycle lane there ever clear? i appreciate it's a sunday, and i think parking is allowed, but i don't ever remember seeing the inbound side of the main stretch free of parked cars.

That cycle lane has rarely been clear as far back as I can remember; used to cycle into, and across the city frequently back in my late teens & early twenties and never bothered with the lane because someone would always be parked in it.

I wish they'd call roads something ordinary. Call the M50 the PH Pearse Motorway, it would be easier to remember, even if the engineers use the numbers! (The new outer ring motorway can be the Thomas MacDonagh Motorway!) And don't start me on roundabouts - they have the right idea in Galway, naming them clearly after the Tribes, and having big signs on them so you know which one you're at.

nah, put it to a Public vote!

Im sure joe public would come up with some interesting names! :)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/boaty-mcboatface-wins-poll-to-name-polar-research-vessel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

nah, put it to a Public vote!

Im sure joe public would come up with some interesting names! :)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/boaty-mcboatface-wins-poll-to-name-polar-research-vessel

You're not thinking Roady McRoadface are you?

Good one.

The M50: "Tailback Tommy"! :p

RevRevRevolutionary Road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It's was your first day on Tannus tyres and you found Skerries to Airport to be rough? Wait till you go elsewhere. That road is fine - I use it regularly on Tannus tyres. There are much worse surfaces out there.

TBH the first day was a bit of a shock and I wasn't wearing any gloves - which I remedied after the first outing. I'll only be doing this route on this bike as its a commuter and not really set up for shopping trips or the like. I'm looking forward to some days off to get back onto a carbon frame with pneumatic 25mm tyres already...

Advertisement