Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCB advice

Options
  • 02-09-2016 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help?

I have a problem with my RCB fuse tripping any time I turn on a combination of large appliances in my house.

I guess it started a few weeks ago when I turned on my immersion. I found that it immediately tripped the RCB every time. I turned it off and forgot about it as I usually use the gas boiler to heat water.

Now I am finding if I run the kettle and microwave together, or if I use say the dryer and a vacuum cleaner together it trips the RCB every time.

I have tried plugging everything out to see if it is one appliance that is causing the problem but it seems to be any time I combine a couple of bigger random appliances that I have the problem.

I am planning on getting an electrician in to have a look but am wondering how big or small a job does it sound?

I am clueless about such things so many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Possibly a neutral to earth fault, which can sometimes need a bigger load to cause the rcd to trip when the fault is on a different circuit to the load,

Assuming it is the rcd you are talking about. The one with the test button?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Morak Thun

Bruthal wrote: »
    Possibly a neutral to earth fault, which can sometimes need a bigger load to cause the rcd to trip when the fault is on a different circuit to the load,

Assuming it is the rcd you are talking about. The one with the test button?

Yep, fairly sure it is the rcd (the one with the test button). It knocks out all the sockets when tripped.

I assume a neutral to earth fault is something that occurs in the wiring/sockets side of things as opposed to a failing appliance?

Is it difficult to find? Is it difficult to repair?

I am starting to think that my problem might be where it all started. The immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

If it's instant tripping it would be easy enough to find.even if it's intermittent a good electrician would most likely find the problem in an hour or 2

Advertisement