Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

myostatin gene

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You have a good point. For me I want to avoid a double N, Double Q, Q+N match for calving ease. But not everyone will see it that way. Having bulls with all the options is ideal. I see all the CH bulls in PG book are either +/+ or Q, while Fovea have all variants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

its coming in 2025. having bred pedigree's i would 100% agree that all pedigree should be genomic & myostatin tested as helps ensure pedigree is correct and also allow make decisions on breeding ie NT821 in angus not to double it up. In commercial i'm dont really have a view unless the seller wants to validate a certain pedigree or trait

• Registered Users Posts: 10,805 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone keeping an eye on the Mysostatin Status of calves coming back from the testing under National Genotyping Programme?

I noticed 2 calves here that were better (fancier muscle shape) than expected given their breeding. Both have one copy of the Q204x. One got it from the bull, the other from the mother. Funny thing is, one is showing 5 stars for both Milk and Fertility, while the other is very poor for milk.

Hard to know what way it will all play out.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Watching it a bit here, having a cow with 1 or 2 F genes would be my ideal. Not noticing any difference between 1Q, 1F, 2F,1N and +/+ for calving, milk of fertilizer.

Advertisement