Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extractor fan: small vent

• 02-09-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,
    We are looking at island extractor hoods for a new kitchen. Several guys in appliance shops told us that we should have a 6" vent for proper extraction, but we have a 4" installed. They said that this will increase noise levels, reduce effective extraction and possibly damage the motor of the hood, as they are pretty much all designed for a larger vent.
    Any thoughts on our options? Does this sound like a real problem to you? Let's face it, how often is the extractor on full blast anyway? Normally it's running on low.

I don't want to move down the route of recirculating extractors, I don't believe they are very efficient.

Any thoughts/experience would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I installed a 4" island fan some time ago, have asked client for spec, will revert.
    What is important is to keep the pipe run short, have a slope down from the highest point to the wall outlet, have a removable wall vent and minimise the bends and NO flexie

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I installed a 4" island fan some time ago, have asked client for spec, will revert.
    What is important is to keep the pipe run short, have a slope down from the highest point to the wall outlet, have a removable wall vent and minimise the bends and NO flexie

Thanks for info. I'm not exactly sure what's installed or how, too late for any changes in any case.

Advertisement