Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend perennials for my border pls

Options
  • 02-09-2016 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have been looking at my herbaceous borders the last few weeks, and would like to incorporate some new plants in places where there are gaps

Would love to add some long flowering perennials.
    What do you recommend?

Ive noticed that my penstemon has been flowering since spring. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Sedum, Hebe, Cistus, Abelia, Erysimum Bowle's Mauve, Fuchsia, Hydrangea, Lavender and Oregano seem to flower for a good length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hebe, Abelia, Fuchsia and hydrangea are shrubs - some of them quite big - rather than herbaceous perennials. Cistus is a bit inbetween, but is a very appealing plant. I have never grown oregano for the flowers, though there may well be an ornamental one, rather like sage and mint have different types. Lavender is good, as is Sedum for autumn flowers. Wallflowers - Erysimum - are good too, and have a lovely scent.

Campanulas, coreopsis, Rudbekia - in theory, though I have not had a lot of luck with them, Berginia for a shady spot -get a good colour one, Scabius, geranium - the cranesbill, not the annual bedding pelargonum, Verbena Bonariensis - for the back of the border, and between other plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Herbaeous geranium is a winner for me with long lasting flowering.

I love sedum as well, mine isn't flowering yet, but the plant looks great before flowering too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Penstemons, Johnson's Blue and white geraniums, irises, lilies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

The plants that are in flower now in my garden are
    Japanese Anemone (love white Honerine Jobert),
    Sedum Spectabile 'Autumn Joy' (gave it the Chelsea chop in May so flowering a bit late),
    Alstromeria (don't remember the name but it's red/orange), - just checked and it's called Indian Summer
    Dahlias,
    Geranium 'Rozanne',
    Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve'
    Schizostylis/Kaffir Lily (can be a bit invasive but easy to pull out)
    Astrantia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Is it really possible to make any recommendations without first knowing some fundamentals eg site aspect, soil conditions and what space is available?

Placing the wrong plant in the wrong place will most likely end in tears and disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks a million for all the great replies

I actually have most of the plants mentioned here growing in other parts of the garden so I will lift and divide for this particular border

Also thanks for the recommendations for Abelia, Astrantia, Erysimum, and Kaffir lily. I've looked them up on internet and Love them!!

Advertisement