Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will protein bars help gain weight and build muscle?

• 03-09-2016 5:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Im trying to gain weight and bulk up in the right places like hips and bust but im finding trying to eat more food a chore, I never had much of an appetite, I eat because I have to and just when im hungry and I fill up very fast so even eating 1000 calories a day is really hard, never mind the recommended 2000. I bought a few protein bars but I duno if they'll help? theyre very dear to keep buying them, are they a waste of money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

They'll help if they make you eat more calories but there are much cheaper ways to do it. St the end of the day there's no real way around it to build weight and muscle you're going to have to take in more calories in some form

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

I think you can get a good deal online when you buy them in bulk on my protein I remember my fried s saying something like they work it at one euro so could be worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Try a shake or 2. Make them high calorie. Add nuts, peanut butter, oats, protein powder. I used to make a shake in the morning that was nearly 1,000 calories. It was only in a pint glass and I didn't feel bloated after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Try a shake or 2. Make them high calorie. Add nuts, peanut butter, oats, protein powder. I used to make a shake in the morning that was nearly 1,000 calories. It was only in a pint glass and I didn't feel bloated after it

Sounds like you'd have to chew that!

OP, they're just a way of getting some extra food in. A very expensive way at that. Boobs and hips are mostly fat anyway, so it sounds like you can stand to go a little nuts with some treats. Nutella and peanut butter on bread is an easy one!

I used to have trouble gaining weight, and what I found over time was that if I forced myself to eat a bit more I would get used to it and that would become my normal appetite, so keep at it.

Zillah wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd have to chew that!

OP, they're just a way of getting some extra food in. A very expensive way at that. Boobs and hips are mostly fat anyway, so it sounds like you can stand to go a little nuts with some treats. Nutella and peanut butter on bread is an easy one!

I used to have trouble gaining weight, and what I found over time was that if I forced myself to eat a bit more I would get used to it and that would become my normal appetite, so keep at it.

It's actually lovely. Nutri bullet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Some very good deals on whey powder on myprotein at the minute, there may also be deals on bars, worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Im trying to gain weight and bulk up in the right places like hips and bust but im finding trying to eat more food a chore, I never had much of an appetite, I eat because I have to and just when im hungry and I fill up very fast so even eating 1000 calories a day is really hard, never mind the recommended 2000. I bought a few protein bars but I duno if they'll help? theyre very dear to keep buying them, are they a waste of money?
    question - will protein bars help?

Alternative - will ANY food help - bananas, yoghurt, nuts etc

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's actually lovely. Nutri bullet

I do the same, but it wouldn't fit into a pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Count every single calorie on myfitnesspal or similar - even for 1 day. I'd be surprised if you're only getting 1000kcal - but then again that may be the case. Iknow i grossly underestimated before i actually counted.

To answer your question - bars are an easy way to get extra carbs/protein/cals/sugar into you quickly. But they should be used as supplements - not replacements for real food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I kinda treat the bars as a mars bar/ chocolate bar replacement. Some of them are really nice (I could eat fulfil caramel and peanut all day), but wasn't particularly gone on the myprotein bars last time I tried (which was a few years ago in fairness). They are expensive though - shakes work out much cheaper for the same protein content. A whey shake made with milk is more protein and similar calories to the bars.

You can also make your own protein snack options. There's a David Gillick protein balls one knocking around on facebook. Google will give you loads of options - biggest hurdle on that front for me is that I'm not made about peanuts which is a bit of a staple of them.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I kinda treat the bars as a mars bar/ chocolate bar replacement. Some of them are really nice (I could eat fulfil caramel and peanut all day), but wasn't particularly gone on the myprotein bars last time I tried (which was a few years ago in fairness). They are expensive though - shakes work out much cheaper for the same protein content. A whey shake made with milk is more protein and similar calories to the bars.

You can also make your own protein snack options. There's a David Gillick protein balls one knocking around on facebook. Google will give you loads of options - biggest hurdle on that front for me is that I'm not made about peanuts which is a bit of a staple of them.
    the nuts are just an option for those protein balls - add in any you fancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Don't know if Transform posts here as often as before but I'd be taking his advice on board far more readily than anyone else's on here.

cheers and this is vid i did a long time ago on making your own snack things which you could add protein powder to (long time before everyone jumped on that band wagon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Protein bars are a food. If you're eating them solely because you think they are a product that will help you gain weight and build muscle, then it might be worthwhile reading the stickies on Nutrition.

Protein bars are a food containing calories. They also contain protein. So do a lot of other foods.

If you want to gain weight, eat enough food. If you want to build muscle, eat enough protein. Protein bars are just an expensive way of ticking both of those boxes if that's are all you are after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Go for milk. The 1st body builders started with GOMAD.

A Gallon of Milk a day. It provided everything you needed and in a form the body could handle.

It works good, I piled on the pounds when doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Danzy wrote: »
    Go for milk. The 1st body builders started with GOMAD.
    That's not really true tbh.

Different people have recommended different diets for as long as there's been bodybuilders. For the most part eating real food (lots of meat, eggs, milk, vegetables, nuts) was the general consensus all along.

I'm not suggesting that he survive on milk alone, a balanced diet of course but if you want your protein and an energy boost it is hard to beat the bainne.

Danzy wrote:
    I'm not suggesting that he survive on milk alone, a balanced diet of course but if you want your protein and an energy boost it is hard to beat the bainne.

Ah this is rippetoes advice for "hardgainers". I'm pretty sure he's known for crappy nutritional advice. I actually did this for a couple of months. Ye I got stronger but I also gained a chunk of fat I really didn't need.

Also I disagree with the energy part. Made me feel tired with so much milk.

In reference to all he needs, I should have been clearer that that meant lots of protein, carbs.
    I found it hard to eat enough for bulking but drinking bainne was a breeze.

stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In reference to all he needs, I should have been clearer that that meant lots of protein, carbs.
    I found it hard to eat enough for bulking but drinking bainne was a breeze.

stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

I understand the idea behind it. I wasn't disputing that it contains lots of calories, carbs and protein.

I was saying the that part about the first bodybuilders starting with GOMAD wasn't true. I'm not just talking about the name either.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ah this is rippetoes advice for "hardgainers". I'm pretty sure he's known for crappy nutritional advice. I actually did this for a couple of months. Ye I got stronger but I also gained a chunk of fat I really didn't need.

Also I disagree with the energy part. Made me feel tired with so much milk.

You consumed too many calories if you got fat, nothing to with milk per se.
    Also when people talk about energy they mean total calories, which you obviously did get in if you gained weight - they're not talking about something giving you a little vim. Your sluggishness is not a consequence of low energy intake.

Zillah wrote: »
    You consumed too many calories if you got fat, nothing to with milk per se.
    Also when people talk about energy they mean total calories, which you obviously did get in if you gained weight - they're not talking about something giving you a little vim. Your sluggishness is not a consequence of low energy intake.

Yeah I realise this. You try drink a gallon of milk with other food and fit it into a reasonable calorie intake to keep fat gain down.

In the context of his sentence I assumed he meant wakefulness which people very frequently refer to as an energy boost.

I suppose he could have meant either but given that the thread is about eating to gain weight I took it to mean calories.

The OP isn't really talking about bulking.

Just adding a bit of size to her bust and bootay while trying to get from a 26.5" waist to a 24" wist as per anseo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Count every single calorie on myfitnesspal or similar - even for 1 day. I'd be surprised if you're only getting 1000kcal - but then again that may be the case. Iknow i grossly underestimated before i actually counted.

To answer your question - bars are an easy way to get extra carbs/protein/cals/sugar into you quickly. But they should be used as supplements - not replacements for real food.

I counted calories for a few days, im not even getting 1000kcals a day. How do people eat so much food!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

I counted calories for a few days, im not even getting 1000kcals a day. How do people eat so much food!!!
    Easily! I could comfortably put away 3000 a day I'd say - I'd be fat if I did though :D

Did that include weighing the food or guessing portion sizes?

Did that include weighing the food or guessing portion sizes?

No I just ate what I normally eat but I checked calories on the wrappers or googled it

No I just ate what I normally eat but I checked calories on the wrappers or googled it

So what do you eat then that means you struggle to get 1000 kcals a day?

• Advertisement

So what do you eat then that means you struggle to get 1000 kcals a day?

Normal stuff, whatever's around the house. Pasta, veg, meat, bread

Something tells me your calorie counting wasn't particularly accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Could you post an example of a typical day that you feel you're struggling to get to 1,000 calories?

not even a 1000 calories per day and you're asking about protein bars, really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

If it's a question of calories then eat a bag of nuts. They are calorie dense , something like 600 per bag, highly nutritious and they are not filling. They are also high in protein so they are a highly nutritious healthy food source. And their tasty, Brazil and hazelnuts I find : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I have the same problem. Using MyFitnessPal to count all my calories and my normal diet was around 1400 calories. Added high protein or high calorie snacks and it's a struggle to to hit 2000 calories. I feel so full all the time like I'm just stuffing food in for the sake of it. I hate feeling so full all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 karlknny2

Why don't you try eating the likes of peanut butter that is 588 calories per 100 grams and only €7.99 per kg on supplements Direct .ie
    its a great whey to get in the extra calories.

If you're trying to eat more and struggling to get 1400 calories, assuming your tracking is accurate, you need to work on your food choices.

I really wish I had your problem OP . Don't matter how healthy I eat I still overeat. My appetite is voracious, maybe that's a good thing in a way but not for my belly fat !

I'd easily put away 300 calories a day, I do a physical job but for an average size man, that is very doable, it is normal.

1000 calories a day is less than they were averaging a day in the camps in Germany in WW2.

If you are at that your organs will have long term damage, every bit of muscle tone will disappear in time and you will end up in hospital.

I'd easily put away 300 calories a day, I do a physical job but for an average size man, that is very doable, it is normal.

1000 calories a day is less than they were averaging a day in the camps in Germany in WW2.

If you are at that your organs will have long term damage, every bit of muscle tone will disappear in time and you will end up in hospital.

I'm sure you meant 3,000

• Advertisement

I certainly did.

It certainly took from my advice that 1000 a day is too little by writing 300.

learn_more wrote: »
    If it's a question of calories then eat a bag of nuts. They are calorie dense , something like 600 per bag, highly nutritious and they are not filling. They are also high in protein so they are a highly nutritious healthy food source. And their tasty, Brazil and hazelnuts I find : )

Yeah I thought about eating loads of nuts but theyre so expensive, I couldnt afford to keep buying them.

bee06 wrote: »
    I have the same problem. Using MyFitnessPal to count all my calories and my normal diet was around 1400 calories. Added high protein or high calorie snacks and it's a struggle to to hit 2000 calories. I feel so full all the time like I'm just stuffing food in for the sake of it. I hate feeling so full all the time.

I know its so hard :( Other people must do nothing but eat, I duno how they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I know its so hard :( Other people must do nothing but eat, I duno how they do it.

Why dont you actually make a list of everything you eat tomorrow and the time you eat it, then post it here.

Breakfast - Porridge with milk and a little sugar, add some chopped banana or apple. 200+ calories.

Lunch - 1 medium Chicken breast with salad with some light dressing, maybe add some nuts into it. 400+ calories

Dinner - Simple small steak with boiled potatoes and carrots. Bit of salt, pepper and butter for the potatoes and carrots. 600+ calories.

Thats easily 1200 calories without any excess in any meal. Not including any drinks or other snacks throughout the day and having small portions.

There are plenty of websites that will give you a daily meal plan for a set number of calories. Try and start with 1100 and increase it gradually.
    If you are struggling to eat 1000 calories in a day then you will find it very hard to jump up to a normal 1800-2000.
    So just take it one day at a time, increasing by 50-100 calories every 2 days.

One trick is to just eat each meal quickly. It takes time for the brain to recognize that the stomach is full. So the quicker you eat the sooner you will be finished before you feel full. The opposite advice is given to those who over eat, they are told to eat slower so that their brain recognizes that they are full before they consume much more than needed.

Yeah I thought about eating loads of nuts but theyre so expensive, I couldnt afford to keep buying them.

You can get a bag of brazil nuts in Aldi for 1.83. That's not expensive, that cheep. I do realise they can be much more expensive in other establishments.

Actually Tesco, have just started doing a bag of Hazelnuts for 2.50, a 200g bag. Even Tesco are doing them them cheap now.

The more they sell , the more they will bring the price down.

Why dont you actually make a list of everything you eat tomorrow and the time you eat it, then post it here.

Breakfast - Porridge with milk and a little sugar, add some chopped banana or apple. 200+ calories.

Lunch - 1 medium Chicken breast with salad with some light dressing, maybe add some nuts into it. 400+ calories

Dinner - Simple small steak with boiled potatoes and carrots. Bit of salt, pepper and butter for the potatoes and carrots. 600+ calories.

Thats easily 1200 calories without any excess in any meal. Not including any drinks or other snacks throughout the day and having small portions.

There are plenty of websites that will give you a daily meal plan for a set number of calories. Try and start with 1100 and increase it gradually.
    If you are struggling to eat 1000 calories in a day then you will find it very hard to jump up to a normal 1800-2000.
    So just take it one day at a time, increasing by 50-100 calories every 2 days.

One trick is to just eat each meal quickly. It takes time for the brain to recognize that the stomach is full. So the quicker you eat the sooner you will be finished before you feel full. The opposite advice is given to those who over eat, they are told to eat slower so that their brain recognizes that they are full before they consume much more than needed.

Today I had porridge with banana in it, a cheese toastie and some tea, I might make toast later. Yeah i'll try eating faster, I eat quite slow i think

learn_more wrote: »
    You can get a bag of brazil nuts in Aldi for 1.83. That's not expensive, that cheep. I do realise they can be much more expensive in other establishments.

Actually Tesco, have just started doing a bag of Hazelnuts for 2.50, a 200g bag. Even Tesco are doing them them cheap now.

The more they sell , the more they will bring the price down.

Thanks ill have a look this week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Today I had porridge with banana in it, a cheese toastie and some tea, I might make toast later. Yeah i'll try eating faster, I eat quite slow i think

You need to eat a proper dinner anyway to start with not toast.

Maybe part of your problem is you eat so little you have stopped feeling hungry. I used to be really bad, might have a few slices of toast in a day and I just wouldn't be hungry. My appetite just died away. You kinda have to force yourself to eat to kickstart your appetite again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 oxnexon

In my opinion they're a marketing gimmick. You're far better off eating a healthy real food diet than relying on shakes or bars.

bee06 wrote: »
    You need to eat a proper dinner anyway to start with not toast.

Maybe part of your problem is you eat so little you have stopped feeling hungry. I used to be really bad, might have a few slices of toast in a day and I just wouldn't be hungry. My appetite just died away. You kinda have to force yourself to eat to kickstart your appetite again.
    and maybe the guy needs to just go train hard so there's an appetite there worth filling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement