Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will protein bars help gain weight and build muscle?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

There a post somewhere on here about making your own protein bars.

Tried them out. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Transform wrote:
    and maybe the guy needs to just go train hard so there's an appetite there worth filling.

Pretty sure it's a chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

Im trying to gain weight and bulk up in the right places like hips and bust but im finding trying to eat more food a chore, I never had much of an appetite, I eat because I have to and just when im hungry and I fill up very fast so even eating 1000 calories a day is really hard, never mind the recommended 2000. I bought a few protein bars but I duno if they'll help? theyre very dear to keep buying them, are they a waste of money?

Plenty of tuna, egg whites , chicken, the bars will help. 100% whey protein start your morning with protein coffee and whole meal toasted tuna & mayonaise sambo there are plenty of cheap & easy ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Plenty of tuna, egg whites , chicken, the bars will help. 100% whey protein start your morning with protein coffee and whole meal toasted tuna & mayonaise sambo there are plenty of cheap & easy ways

Protein coffee??

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Protein coffee??

Yeah protein coffee, you can get it from the fitness shop behind the square in Tallaght it's not the best taste but full of protein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah protein coffee, you can get it from the fitness shop behind the square in Tallaght it's not the best taste but full of protein

lol ok

How much protein? I bet I'd get more protein by glancing at a bag of whey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Afaik, BodyFirst do a protein coffee but even if it had 20g of protein, if it tastes mank why would you do it to yourself?

Zillah wrote: »
    lol ok

How much protein? I bet I'd get more protein by glancing at a bag of whey.

Not sure I think 28gram per cup

Afaik, BodyFirst do a protein coffee but even if it had 20g of protein, if it tastes mank why would you do it to yourself?

I didn't like taste but everyone has there own taste buds

• Advertisement

I wonder if you mixed some unflavoured whey into coffee would you notice it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Not sure I think 28gram per cup

...I find that hard to believe...sure a scoop of whey is 25! I can't imagine it would taste anything like coffee if that's the case.

I did some googling. This one claims to be 21g per serving. Madness. I bet it's utter mank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have a proper coffee. Have a shake with whey separately. Win.

...I find that hard to believe...sure a scoop of whey is 25! I can't imagine it would taste anything like coffee if that's the case.

...I find

As I said i think it's 25 gram. I personally didn't like it I found it to hard to disolve all the lumps plus it's to be served warm not hot. But there is people who like it otherwise it wouldn't be on the shelf

I wonder if my auntie had balls would she be my uncle

• Advertisement

I wonder if you posted that once instead of twice would it have made any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rucksnacks

Just to let you know protein bars are basically chocolate bars with added whey protein and are heavily processed - hence why some people don't like and will even get digestion problems eating them.

If you are trying to gain weight, tools already mentioned like my fitness pal are great to start with but can become time intensive after a while.

Sit down, create a weekly meal/snack plan and count up macros so you only have to do it once.

For protein, aim for 1g of high quality protein per 2kg bodyweight daily in order to get sufficient muscle recovery and slightly more if you have heavy training programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Rucksnacks wrote: »
    If you are trying to gain weight, tools already mentioned like my fitness pal are great to start with but can become time intensive after a while.

Strange I found the opposite to be true. A bit time intensive at first but once you get the hang of it it's about 5 seconds to throw the ingredients in while cooking. Especially with the copy from yesterday feature and barcode scanner.
    Sit down, create a weekly meal/snack plan and count up macros so you only have to do it once.

Wouldn't be a fan of this personally. I think flexibility is important in a diet.
    For protein, aim for 1g of high quality protein per 2kg bodyweight daily in order to get sufficient muscle recovery and slightly more if you have heavy training programme.

I assume you have this backwards? Otherwise you're suggesting me at 76 kg would only require 38g of protein... That would be almost impossible for me! I have trouble staying under 180 g as it is :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rucksnacks

@Blacktie

Majority people I have spoke too found it great for setting up meal planning but just didn't follow it for every meal - so it works for some people but not for others all I am saying.

Personally, I have found meal plans useful as helps if you are tight on time - agree to keep some flexibility and I just leave Sunday as Cheat day and eat whatever I come up with that day.

Yep, sorry got my figure wrong way around - baseline is 2g of high quality protein per 1kg of bodyweight per day - this will adjust depending on your goals (leaner, maintenance or muscle gain)

Advertisement