Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS numbers request by letting company

Options
  • 03-09-2016 9:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi
    I had a letting company request my and my family's PPS numbers as part of a viewing as a potential tenant, I thought that was a step too far, as we were not confirmed as tenants.
    Do you think that is excessive data, even before a contract is signed.
    No problem with giving it if I was confirmed as a tenant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Hi
    I had a letting company request my and my family's PPS numbers as part of a viewing as a potential tenant, I thought that was a step too far, as we were not confirmed as tenants.
    Do you think that is excessive data, even before a contract is signed.
    No problem with giving it if I was confirmed as a tenant.

There is no need for this information to be handed over until you are signing the Lease. The info is required for PRTB registration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Ericdravancrow

Ya...I was thinking it was too much for registering an interest in been a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It depends how much prospective tenants wants the place. Letting agent can ask for anything, many ask for bank statements. This agent may just have a policy to have all information so that when they do choose the tenant they don't need further details. You either provide the information if you want the place or you move on to the next place that doesn't require this as part of showing an interest.

It depends how much prospective tenants wants the place. Letting agent can ask for anything, many ask for bank statements. This agent may just have a policy to have all information so that when they do choose the tenant they don't need further details. You either provide the information if you want the place or you move on to the next place that doesn't require this as part of showing an interest.

According to data protection, any requests must be relevant and not excessive... looking at a house to rent and registering an interest does not require a PPS number. If I was the successful applicant I can understand the request then.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

No. See Case Study 5 (p22) https://www.dataprotection.ie/docimages/documents/Annual%20Report%202014.pdf

• Advertisement

From the report..

"we could not see any basis for collecting bank details, PPS numbers or copies of utility bills at
    application or property-viewing stage and we urged it to cease the practice immediately"

And...

"In October 2014, the letting agency confirmed, following our investigation, that it had ceased the requesting of this personal data prior to the property being let and it undertook that it would only request this information once the tenant had been accepted"

Advertisement