Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraudulent Transaction

Options
  • 03-09-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A bit of background. I'm well aware of the dangers of credit card fraud (working in IT) so I'm very careful with my credit card.

I only ever use it for online shopping and don't do it on dodgy sites... e.g. I only shop on known good shops e.g. Amazon, Elara, Steam and GOG pretty much sums up the only sites that I tend to shop on (and have done so for years with this card without problems).

I haven't been shopping at any new websites.

I also keep the card on me at all times and check my statement online regularly.

I also don't shop on shared PCs (e.g. Public) and regularly check that my own personal PCs are "clean".

So I spotted a fraudulent transaction (the only one) on the first of this month (01/09/2016) for a large amount of €37x~ something which was converted from USD (if you must know it was for women's wear so perhaps the fraudster has a sense of humour but basically I would know if I had spent it on that just two days ago). FYI The charge appeared as "SZYINZEN LMT shen zhen shigua".

So I got onto the fraud number and the agent canceled the card and said that the fraud team will get into contact with me within 48 hours regarding the fraudulent transaction.

She also said don't pay off the credit card charges in the meantime so I have a couple of questions.

(1) Should I cancel the existing direct debit for the card? Since the existing card is getting canceled I assume that the direct debit will no longer be valid? I'm guessing I'll have to set up a new direct debit for the new card (which will have new numbers).

(2) What's likely to happen in the fraud investigation? Any ideas based on what I told you above? Needless to say I'm going to be very unhappy if they think I'm responsible for the fraudulent transaction.  

(3) Have you ever heard of something like this occurring? I just thought I did everything possible to protect my credit card details yet somehow a fraudster managed to put through a transaction meaning that they somehow in the very least got my credit card number, cvv number and expiration date (I'm assuming its an online fraud as I've never used the card in retail stores)? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Champ wrote: »
    Hi,

A bit of background. I'm well aware of the dangers of credit card fraud (working in IT) so I'm very careful with my credit card.

I only ever use it for online shopping and don't do it on dodgy sites... e.g. I only shop on known good shops e.g. Amazon, Elara, Steam and GOG pretty much sums up the only sites that I tend to shop on (and have done so for years with this card without problems).

I haven't been shopping at any new websites.

I also keep the card on me at all times and check my statement online regularly.

I also don't shop on shared PCs (e.g. Public) and regularly check that my own personal PCs are "clean".

So I spotted a fraudulent transaction (the only one) on the first of this month (01/09/2016) for a large amount of €37x~ something which was converted from USD (if you must know it was for women's wear so perhaps the fraudster has a sense of humour but basically I would know if I had spent it on that just two days ago). FYI The charge appeared as "SZYINZEN LMT shen zhen shigua".

So I got onto the fraud number and the agent canceled the card and said that the fraud team will get into contact with me within 48 hours regarding the fraudulent transaction.

She also said don't pay off the credit card charges in the meantime so I have a couple of questions.

(1) Should I cancel the existing direct debit for the card? Since the existing card is getting canceled I assume that the direct debit will no longer be valid? I'm guessing I'll have to set up a new direct debit for the new card (which will have new numbers).

(2) What's likely to happen in the fraud investigation? Any ideas based on what I told you above? Needless to say I'm going to be very unhappy if they think I'm responsible for the fraudulent transaction.  

(3) Have you ever heard of something like this occurring? I just thought I did everything possible to protect my credit card details yet somehow a fraudster managed to put through a transaction meaning that they somehow in the very least got my credit card number, cvv number and expiration date (I'm assuming its an online fraud as I've never used the card in retail stores)? 
    Hi Champ,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

I understand your concern in relation to this and I hope the following answers your questions.

If you call our credit card team on 1890251251 a representative with access to your credit card account can advise you on whether to cancel direct debit payment going to your Credit card or the best option for you in this case.

Representative are available Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm ,10am-5pm Sunday and bank holidays.

Once you have raised this as Fraud on your account, our fraud team will do a full investigation and update you as soon as they have more information.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NTGRIMES

Hey Champ, 

I've just been hit with the same charge 39x~ on the same day. First time I've ever been hit with a fraudulent charges. Onto BOI lost or stolen cards as we speak. 

Anyone been in touch with you to confirm if it is fraud and whether you're getting a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

I've been hit by SZYINZEN LMT  on Aug 31st also for 450 euro, rang AIB credit card & they have cancelled my card & sending a new one... looks like a good few people have been hit by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Just noticed the same thing on my account 370€ odd euro

quote="Ihackedboardz;100940849"]I've been hit by SZYINZEN LMT  on Aug 31st also for 450 euro, rang AIB credit card & they have cancelled my card & sending a new one... looks like a good few people have been hit by this![/quote]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

yeah I had the same a feww weeks back for some chinese womens clothes shop for about €24. Im with ulster bank too si this to me is a serious data breach somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I had it too in early August. 357 euro.

I have an AIB credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KFMSport

Avantcard as well. I got hit for $230. Fortunately, company refunding but you have to contact your Bank/Credit Card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SlimPete

I have a transaction on AIB credit card statement dated 30 Aug Szyinzen LMT - $250usd, equates to €230.37. Given the above posts its clearly a fraud. 

Trying to report same to AIB , currently on hold with AIB for 15 minutes or so.................................. so far they have thanked me for continuing to hold on numerous occasions.....................  

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are these showing as point of sale transactions or online transactions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bwfanning

I have been hit on BOI MASTERCARD and AVANT VISA CARD WITH similar amounts. Could my cards have been scanned in my wallet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Nete

Hi,

I had it too in 01/09/2016    SZYINZEN LMT shen zhen shigua  €321.80
    I have an BOI credit card.

I only shop on known good shops e.g. Amazon, Elara, Dabs ... PayPal

Where did you use a credit card?

I did not use MASTERCARD ON LINE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I got the same one last week with BoI, SZYINZEN LMT shen zhen shigua ,  around €250 (as USD transaction converted to EUR).

Only using Amazon, Paypal, Elara...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NTGRIMES

Anyone get any feedback from BOI to confirm its fraud? Apparently my report is still with their investigations team to determine if it is.

Only using Amazon, Paypal, Elara iTunes ...On one of my cards but no activities on other card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i got 237 taken off my card on the 1 sept from "Jewjmc shen zhen shigua". my work colleague also had his card scammed by the EXACT same place. why aren't Bank of ireland stopping this from debiting? will cancel card today. have Dispute done up and ready to send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

thekooman wrote: »
    i got 237 taken off my card on the 1 sept from "Jewjmc shen zhen shigua". my work colleague also had his card scammed by the EXACT same place. why aren't Bank of ireland stopping this from debiting? will cancel card today. have Dispute done up and ready to send.
    Hi thekooman, thanks for getting in touch.
    Please can I ask you to call 0818 365 365 (press option 2 for visa debit card or option 3 for credit card) so that we can arrange for your card to be cancelled and begin a fraud investigation into this transaction for you. 
    Thanks
    Nicola 

Please can I ask you to call 0818 365 365 (press option 2 for visa debit card or option 3 for credit card) so that we can arrange for your card to be cancelled and begin a fraud investigation into this transaction for you. 
    Thanks
    Nicola 
    Done. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks
    Nicola 
    Why not give a normal landline number for those people who have been scammed, instead of a money-grabbing number?:mad:

Thanks
    Nicola 
    Why not give a normal landline number for those people who have been scammed, instead of a money-grabbing number?:mad:
    i just rang the landline number on the back of the Credit Card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Thanks
    Nicola 
    Hi Kristopherus, if you're a Bank of Ireland cardholder and you've a suspect transaction on your card we've an alternative number that you can use 01 4044000 (use +353 1 4044000 if calling from abroad).

When you dial this number you can then press option 2 for visa debit card or option 3 for credit card.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. 

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hignitz

bwfanning wrote: »
    Only using Amazon, Paypal, Elara iTunes ...On one of my cards but no activities on other card.
    Me too, only other websites apart from Dabs & iTunes which I don't use is Beatport, Motortax and Aviva for insurance and never had any problems. I only started to use the card for contactless payment for about 2 months ago and already I got scammed, I knew it wasn't safe. I'd love to know where though. I was on Holidays in Galway a few weeks ago and live in Dublin and that is only where I have used it. Maybe others have been scammed using it in the same counties. I have reported mine to BOI (Mastercard) and they said they will take care of it and just to pay the transactions that are due and ignore the fraud.

It is curious as to how they got all these card details based on some of the comments. I've only used my card (over the phone) with one company in the past 3 months. Everything else was chip 'n' pin or standing debit payments. Ironically, when I spoke with this "Car Tag" company at the time of use, the girl informed me that she had to turn off her recorder when I was giving her my Credit Card details.

We hear it all the time when speaking with any company ... "calls recorded for quality and training purposes". It never dawned on me that under legislation, businesses cannot record your Credit Card details in any conversation.

Anymahoo, just seeing if there is a connection ..... and if anyone else happened to change their Car Tag operator over the past few weeks  !!

KFMSport wrote: »
    It is curious as to how they got all these card details based on some of the comments. I've only used my card (over the phone) with one company in the past 3 months. Everything else was chip 'n' pin or standing debit payments. Ironically, when I spoke with this "Car Tag" company at the time of use, the girl informed me that she had to turn off her recorder when I was giving her my Credit Card details.

We hear it all the time when speaking with any company ... "calls recorded for quality and training purposes". It never dawned on me that under legislation, businesses cannot record your Credit Card details in any conversation.

Anymahoo, just seeing if there is a connection ..... and if anyone else happened to change their Car Tag operator over the past few weeks  !!
    Yes, I  updated my details for Easytrip on the same day as the fraudulent transaction.

dissed doc wrote: »

Yes, I  updated my details for Easytrip on the same day as the fraudulent transaction.
    Wow! It was Easytrip. That's some coincidence.

dissed doc wrote: »

Wow! It was Easytrip. That's some coincidence.
    Who knows though. Don't most companies use loads of different purchase and billing processing systems when doing online shopping. I decided it was some subcontracted subcontracted subcontracted shop software where the card details are stored unencrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I have had successive Mastercards scammed three times, and Fraud have NEVER gotten back to me about what might be causing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I have had successive Mastercards scammed three times, and Fraud have NEVER gotten back to me about what might be causing it
    Hi,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

Each fraud case is investigated by our Security team, however the outcome of these investigations would not be shared. Once this process has been completed and if fraud has been confirmed on your account then these funds will be refunded to your account.

I do hope this will help but if you’d like to speak with one of the advisors in the Fraud Team in relation to your case you can contact them directly on 0035314885466.

Have a good weekend and if we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

Let me join the club with 281ish euros on 31-AUG-2016 for my AIB MC.
    same SZYINZEN LMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

As with everyone else, I was hit for a fraudulent transaction for €273.44 to SZYINZEN LMT on 31/08/2016 on my AIB Mastercard; they were very helpful on the phone, and refunded the transaction.

Excluding Amazon and Paypal (which can be excluded as the only result google for this transaction name is boards.ie, with no non-Irish victims reported), the full list of organisations I used the credit card to purchase from, since the card became valid were:
    Appliances Direct (UK based), Aviva Direct, AXA, Blacknight Internet Solutions, CRO, Elara, King Travel, Leapcard.ie, Motor Tax Online, NCTS, Overclockers.co.uk (UK based), Which? (UK based), and XV Marketplace.

No viruses or malware on my computers (I double-checked), and I also use an adblocker to guard against malvertising. The card itself has only ever been used for internet purchases.

Advertisement