Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraudulent Transaction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

KFMSport wrote: »
    Wow! It was Easytrip. That's some coincidence.

I signed up to easytrip around then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

Another victim - hit with a charge on 01.Sep.16 from SZYINZEN LMT!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coggy2012

I was hit for a fraudulent transaction for $249.00 / €228.93 from SZYINZEN LMT on 01/09/2016 on my BOI Mastercard, just spotted it today when I got the statement by post. I wonder why they don't just put a blanket ban on SYINZEN transactions when they first appeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mairead2010

Nete wrote: »
    Hi,

I had it too in 01/09/2016 SZYINZEN LMT shen zhen shigua 321.80
    I have an BOI credit card.

I only shop on known good shops e.g. Amazon, Elara, Dabs ... PayPal

Where did you use a credit card?
    I've been hit too. I've only used my card about 3 times in the past year and there is only one common to other people who have quoted places they have used their cards. I've contacted them to see if they have had a data security breach, which if they have, then they will be aware of it. I would have thought that if there was a breach of credit card information on their system, then maybe an email would go out but I'm not sure they are obliged to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Beware of naming any companies and accusing of fraudulent issues - it is defamation.

When a card is used without a pin number it is the place taking the funds that must be able to prove the card was used validly - such proof includes ip addresses, delivery signatures etc.

Card fraud is not necessarily from online - every time you use the card in any place including shops, details are recorded. Some large stores keep card details on their back office systems - in 2007, 4.5million card details were taken from TJ Maxx/Marshalls in USA.

So best not to jump to conclusions or suggest companies - there are just so many possibilities and making an allegation without proof can damage a reputable company and could in some cases cost a poster or boards serioua money in a defamation case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Beware of naming any companies and accusing of fraudulent issues - it is defamation.

When a card is used without a pin number it is the place taking the funds that must be able to prove the card was used validly - such proof includes ip addresses, delivery signatures etc.

Card fraud is not necessarily from online - every time you use the card in any place including shops, details are recorded. Some large stores keep card details on their back office systems - in 2007, 4.5million card details were taken from TJ Maxx/Marshalls in USA.

So best not to jump to conclusions or suggest companies - there are just so many possibilities and making an allegation without proof can damage a reputable company and could in some cases cost a poster or boards serioua money in a defamation case.

I agree with this as you really don't know. Hackers are hackers! Nothing necessarily to do with the companies you buy from (and all so far are reputable).

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Been offline and very busy. I was very surprised to see others hit with the same fraud that I was and that it's not confined to one bank either. Would love if any banking experts could possibly explain how this mess affected quite a few few customers across different banks with different brand cards.

Anyways to sum up it's all fixed at my end (all within 5 - 6 working days):
    -Confirmed refund for the fraudulent transaction with online banking
    -New replacement CC received
    -New CC set up on online banking

Interestingly I left the old CC in my online banking and it matches (or synchronises) my new CC for all debits and credits i.e. same balance at any given time. Wonder if there's any point in leaving the old CC in my online banking?

Just got to updates some DDs and then back to normal.

Good luck for everyone else trying to sort out this mess.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Champ wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Been offline and very busy. I was very surprised to see others hit with the same fraud that I was and that it's not confined to one bank either. Would love if any banking experts could possibly explain how this mess affected quite a few few customers across different banks with different brand cards.

Anyways to sum up it's all fixed at my end (all within 5 - 6 working days):
    -Confirmed refund for the fraudulent transaction with online banking
    -New replacement CC received
    -New CC set up on online banking

Interestingly I left the old CC in my online banking and it matches (or synchronises) my new CC for all debits and credits i.e. same balance at any given time. Wonder if there's any point in leaving the old CC in my online banking?

Just got to updates some DDs and then back to normal.

Good luck for everyone else trying to sort out this mess.:)
    Good Morning Champ, 

Thanks for coming back to us here. 

I am extremely sorry to hear that you and the other member of this thread were recent victims of Fraud. However, I am glad to hear that your case has been resolved and your new card received. Fraud and attempted Fraud can take many forms and unfortunately, the sophistication of the fraudsters continue to change. Please be assured that Bank of Ireland provide 24/7 fraud monitoring on all our customers accounts. Our dedicated team monitor fraud trends and endeavour to prevent all attempts. The bank is also dedicated to educating customers to help them help themselves with regards to their own security. You can read about our security commitment here.

With regards to your credit card viewing online, the old number will continue to display in both your online viewing and if it is set up as bill payee. It is not necessary to update these details as the numbers will still display your existing details/balance and any credits sent will still be received to the account. However, should you wish to update these details you can do so by:
    • Updating your credit card for viewing online. Sent your request for this via the 'Add your BOI account' option in the Service Desk of 365Online. You can also then send an 'Ask a question' to request that the old card be removed. 
    • To update your payment details, just delete the old number yourself through 'Manage Accounts' and then add the new number as a 'Bill Payee'. 
    [*]

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭carveone

I got my statement this morning and also had the same fraudulent transaction (jewjmc, around 240 euro). That company in China has a notice on the front page of its website along the lines of "If you see a charge from this company on your statement, please call us 24/7 at ..." so it may not actually be them either, just someone masquerading as them. All the other companies on my statement (Elara, NUIM, Tesco) are reputable companies.

There have been massive leaks of credit cards recently (eg: https://www.troyhunt.com/someone-just-lost-324k-payment-records-complete-with-cvvs/ yes CCs with CVV numbers, something expressly against PCI DSS - read to the bottom to find out who did that as I won't say it here) so it's possible a similar breach is responsible for this. The fraud number I called seemed really busy - even BOI said they would be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Don't forget that customer data for Bank Of Ireland customers is no longer just an Irish contained thing. Data is seen and worked on offshore in India, so it could be something along those lines either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Fraudulent transaction for me too. 132.28 in mexico. 

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eoinS

Hi,
    I have also been hit by this - September 1st 271.22 euro SZYINZEN LMT. 
    All of yesterday and today i have been trying to speak to somebody in credit card security/fraud but have been continuously left on hold - very poor service.
    I have tried numbers 01 6798993/4885466.

Please advise.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

eoinS wrote: »
    Hi,
    All of yesterday and today i have been trying to speak to somebody in credit card security/fraud but have been continuously left on hold - very poor service.

Please advise.

Thanks
    Hi eoinS, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards and apologies for the phone delay.

May we ask if you have cancelled your credit card yesterday over the phone?

Many Thanks
    Alison

Hi,

Please advise.

Thanks
    Hi eoinS, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards and apologies for the phone delay.

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Hi Alison,
      As far as i know its not cancelled. I wanted to get it cancelled but was informed i needed to speak to the credit card security team.
    Thanks  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi,

Please advise.

Thanks
    Hi eoinS, 

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Hi Alison,
      As far as i know its not cancelled. I wanted to get it cancelled but was informed i needed to speak to the credit card security team.
    Thanks  
    Hi eoinS 

We have just sent you a private message. Can you check and reply to us please?

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bwfanning

Recently received monthly statement from BOI re credit card with fraudulent transaction still on it.
    Rang to query it and after 29 minutes of holding got card services who advised me to pay it while it was being investigated.
    Told them that it was first reported on 6th Sept and cards had been replaced and i was not paying.they said that if not paid interest would be accruing.
    They said they would put me on to fraud dept and current on hold for 47 minutes...........................

I have tried to get through to the CC fraud department about 10 times now over the past week buto to no avail. My credit card has been locked or something though I am going abroad very soon and will need it.

really pathetic customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard

bwfanning wrote: »
    Recently received monthly statement from BOI re credit card with fraudulent transaction still on it.
    Rang to query it and after 29 minutes of holding got card services who advised me to pay it while it was being investigated.
    Told them that it was first reported on 6th Sept and cards had been replaced and i was not paying.they said that if not paid interest would be accruing.
    They said they would put me on to fraud dept and current on hold for 47 minutes...........................
    Good morning bwfanning,

We're very sorry to hear of the long hold time you are experiencing. We are aware that our Fraud Team are experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment.

As we do not have account access here we would be unable to check the status of your case, however, please be assured that the Fraud Team will be with you as soon as possible.

Apologies again for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,
    Richard 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Add me to the list.

About €250 on my Visa Debit in 13 separate identical transactions from Bangladesh. On to the fraud department, getting a new card and they'll be "contacting me about any refund in a couple of days".

I'll echo the sentiment that there has been a recent serious breach of data security that isn't being made public. This many people getting stung in a short period of time is no coincidence.

Awesome, got a call from the credit card department just now with two transactions for around 400 quid on my back-up Mastercard that is literally just used for my Netflix sub and nothing else, the last time i would have entered the details anywhere would have been a couple of years ago for that Netflix sub. So that`s cancelled now and i have no cards at all and no way of accessing my money besides going in branch.

What is going on over there BoI?

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Awesome, got a call from the credit card department just now with two transactions for around 400 quid on my back-up Mastercard that is literally just used for my Netflix sub and nothing else, the last time i would have entered the details anywhere would have been a couple of years ago for that Netflix sub. So that`s cancelled now and i have no cards at all and no way of accessing my money besides going in branch.

Hi lawlolawl,

We are very sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered as a result of this.

We would not have the details of your individual case here; however, if you would like an update on the investigation, please call our card security team directly on 0035314885466.

Many thanks,
    Richard

Hi lawlolawl,

We are very sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered as a result of this.

We would not have the details of your individual case here; however, if you would like an update on the investigation, please call our card security team directly on 0035314885466.

Many thanks,
    Richard
    I'm just posting more to raise awareness with people who have cards with your bank.

Both of my cards details being stolen a day apart from each other when i barely use one card and the other isn't used for anything other than major corporations I've been using for years indicates that something is a tad off with the security on BoI's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I wonder has there been a breach in New Delhi where a lot of the staff work ?

Heading into the weekend and neither of my replacement cards has arrived yet and the post is already gone for today.

Less that 20 quid to my name until Monday when hopefully one of the cards will arrive so i can access my money. Sure hope i don't have any emergencies or anything at the weekend.

It's a shocking condemnation of your companies security when both of my cards details can be stolen and used a day apart. One with 250 quid stolen in 13 identical successive transactions in Bangladesh and i have to contact you about to draw your attention to it (how does that even happen?), the other with someone attempting to steal 400 quid off me on a barely used credit card that you managed to catch (well done!).

I have my current account, credit card and a couple of insurances policies with you as well as my mortgage but i'll be changing as many of them as possible because i don't trust you to keep either my personal information or money safe. I'm pretty much a life time customer of your bank but i will strongly advise anyone i know to have zero dealings with you because of your rank incompetence.

I presume you store customer details in a Notepad file on the Windows desktop called 'CUST_DETAILS.TXT'. I can't begin to explain how annoyed i am about all of this. It's pathetic.

Heading into the weekend and neither of my replacement cards has arrived yet and the post is already gone for today.

Less that 20 quid to my name until Monday when hopefully one of the cards will arrive so i can access my money. Sure hope i don't have any emergencies or anything at the weekend.

It's a shocking condemnation of your companies security when both of my cards details can be stolen and used a day apart. One with 250 quid stolen in 13 identical successive transactions in Bangladesh and i have to contact you about to draw your attention to it (how does that even happen?), the other with someone attempting to steal 400 quid off me on a barely used credit card that you managed to catch (well done!).

I have my current account, credit card and a couple of insurances policies with you as well as my mortgage but i'll be changing as many of them as possible because i don't trust you to keep either my personal information or money safe. I'm pretty much a life time customer of your bank but i will strongly advise anyone i know to have zero dealings with you because of your rank incompetence.

I presume you store customer details in a Notepad file on the Windows desktop called 'CUST_DETAILS.TXT'. I can't begin to explain how annoyed i am about all of this. It's pathetic.
    Good afternoon lawlolawl,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here on Boards.

We can assure you that our customers' security is of the utmost importance to us. We do understand that having no cards over the weekend is a major inconvenience for you and we do apologise for that. New cards can take 5 - 7 working days to be with you in the post.

We are very sorry to hear that you are considering moving your accounts from us and we really do hope that you reconsider.

Thanks again for getting in touch,
    Richard

I see on my online banking this morning that the set of fraudulent transactions i reported on Tuesday have moved from 'transactions in progress' to 'completed transactions'. Oh, and i was charged for currency conversion on each separate transaction as well.

Is this normal or has your bank actually gone ahead and processed €250 of fraudulent transactions i reported 4 days ago?

I see on my online banking this morning that the set of fraudulent transactions i reported on Tuesday have moved from 'transactions in progress' to 'completed transactions'. Oh, and i was charged for currency conversion on each separate transaction as well.

Is this normal or has your bank actually gone ahead and processed €250 of fraudulent transactions i reported 4 days ago?
    Good Morning Lawlolawl, 

Thank you for coming back to us here. 

Without account access we would be unable to clarify the reason for this. However; if you call 0818 365 365 / +35314044000 this morning a rep will be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

I'm not asking for specifics. I'm asking if it is normal in a situation where your bank knows a set of transactions are fraudulent for them to be completed as normal anyway?

If you can't answer that simple a question then i fail to see the purpose of this forum other than a it being a means of providing people with the number to ring you on. That seems to be the answer to every query/problem in every thread on here.

I'm not asking for specifics. I'm asking if it is normal in a situation where your bank knows a set of transactions are fraudulent for them to be completed as normal anyway?

If you can't answer that simple a question then i fail to see the purpose of this forum other than a it being a means of providing people with the number to ring you on. That seems to be the answer to every query/problem in every thread on here.
    Hi lawlolawl, 

Our Security team carry out full and complete investigations on every claim. As each and every case is different and without account access here, I'm afraid it would be impossible for us to clarify why this has happened. However; if you call our team on the number provided a rep will be more than happy to explain why this has happened on your specific account. 

Thanks again and I'm sorry that we could not provide further clarification here. 

Elaine 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

With 2 credit cards taken, I'd be more worried about your computer. Have you checked for viruses/Trojans?

Boi are as much use now as a paper towel after a shower.

Advertisement