Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota holding value

• 03-09-2016 12:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hi. I currently have a 08 landcruiser. Was thinking of coming up a couple of years to maybe 2010. Reckon Id get at least 10k on a trade in on my own yolk going on what theyre selling for. But shopping around for a 2010 cruiser and the prices are ridiculous. 20k minimum. What I dont get is how a car only 2 years younger can be worth over twice as much as my own yolk. I mean were still talking about a 6 year old vehicle here. How do the landcruisers hold their value so well and how can there be such a huge difference in value for the same model jeep just 2 years apart??
    I bought my own jeep 3 years ago for less than 11k. Today that still looks cheap given cheapest one on carzone is 12k on a private sale.let alone 3 years ago. It would of been 5 years old at the time but now a 6 year old one is over 20k?? Hows that work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sell your own, buy the other one straight.
    Keep in mind that the one they're selling, and yours if they take it in and put it up for sale - will have to be serviced thoroughally, new tyres if needed, and stood over on a warranty.
    If you had a black 08 and wanted to trade in for a silver 08, you could reasonably expect to spend a few grand on doing so.
    The other factor is that there is a shortage of commercial land cruisers from 09 onwards. People just weren't buying them back then after the whole construction industry slowed down.
    The lads in 03-08 land cruisers all after the same limited pool of jeeps to upgrade to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't 2010 the switch over to the newer model also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sell your own, buy the other one straight.
    Keep in mind that the one they're selling, and yours if they take it in and put it up for sale - will have to be serviced thoroughally, new tyres if needed, and stood over on a warranty.
    If you had a black 08 and wanted to trade in for a silver 08, you could reasonably expect to spend a few grand on doing so.
    The other factor is that there is a shortage of commercial land cruisers from 09 onwards. People just weren't buying them back then after the whole construction industry slowed down.
    The lads in 03-08 land cruisers all after the same limited pool of jeeps to upgrade to.

Didnt think of the shortage due to economy. Makes sense I guess. I couldnt sell mine and be without a vehicle though as need a van/jeep for work. Trade-in is the way to go I think. But still think 20+ grand is way over the top. No other make seem to hold their value the way toyota do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

bazz26 wrote: »
    Isn't 2010 the switch over to the newer model also?

it is but that doesnt appear to make a difference. Theyre are plenty of old model 2010s that are in the same price bracket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Supply and demand. When the Celtic Tiger crashed sales of these vehicles dried up. Now that things are picking up again these vehicles are making a comeback with builders, tradesmen and such again. Same goes with pickups like the HiLux. Not quite at the same level yet as during the Celtic Tiger era where developers were buying brand new ones easy peasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dbagman wrote: »
    Didnt think of the shortage due to economy. Makes sense I guess. I couldnt sell mine and be without a vehicle though as need a van/jeep for work. Trade-in is the way to go I think. But still think 20+ grand is way over the top. No other make seem to hold their value the way toyota do.

Actually... Your case is a proof for a completely opposite thesis... Lancrusers don't keep their value well if 2 years mean 50% loss of value.

Advertisement