Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying domain names for personal use

Options
  • 03-09-2016 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help, but not sure if this is the right place (mods please move as required).

I want to register a particular .ie domain name, that is connected with my surname (My surname is exceptionally rare in Ireland – less than 20 individuals).

From what I can see the requirements are that an individual can only register a .ie domain if the name is a combination of their first and surname (or derivation thereof), such as John-Smith.ie. This obviously doesn’t suit my purpose, as I would like to use the website in a personal capacity now, and a professional capacity in a few years.

This leaves the registered business name/company approach as the best way. From what I can gather, I would need to have a CRO registered business to do this.

I’m wondering if any others have gone down this route, or if there is another way of registering an .ie domain name without going to the expense of the company route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

It not a company.

It's a registration of business name and costs €20! You get a cert showing the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Lockedout2 wrote: »
    It not a company.

It's a registration of business name and costs €20! You get a cert showing the name.

Ok, and how does one do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Clauric wrote: »
    Ok, and how does one do that?

Core.ie is probably the easiest way to do it, takes about 5 min online

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's not necessary to register a business name:
    If the domain you’ve applied for matches a registered business, company or trademark name, you’ll just need to include the relevant number with your application, so that we can verify this.

If you want a domain for any other reason, you’ll just need to include a few short sentences with your application explaining why you want this domain, and what you will use it for.
    https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/registration-requirements/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Graham wrote: »
    It's not necessary to register a business name:

https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/registration-requirements/

For surnames or first names it's easier to use the business name route, as the rules around personal names are so restrictive..
    Hopefully they'll be relaxed in the future, but for now the RBN route is simplest

(YMMV but the comment is based on past experience with names)

• Advertisement
Advertisement