Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League referee told to say he didn't see incidents.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

While it is dodgy for sure, not dealing with serious incidents because the ref says he saw it is also ridiculous. You can see it as a way for the referee to save face and let justice be done.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Typical Halsey thing to do.

Don't see the issue here or how anyone could be surprised either tbh. It's not as if this has led to players ever being wrongfully suspended for something they didn't do and if anything actually goes along with the calls to extend retrospective punishment and gives refs an out for making bad calls in big incidents that there are every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The question is, did he comply? He should also say what incident it was and who asked him to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If they got rid of that stupid rule about the ref seeing things and actioning then there would be no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think is the main key to it video evidence should be used whether or not the referee saw the the incident.

Upgrading or downgrading cards and bans should not just come down to a match reports when every single game these days has cameras covering every area of a pitch.

These reports then lead to the FA and it's crazy appeal process that seems to make it up as it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Retrospective action regardless is such a good idea that this shouldn't be a big deal and encouraged..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Mars Bar wrote: »
    If they got rid of that stupid rule about the ref seeing things and actioning then there would be no issue.

I thought they did in a way?

Don't see why this is causing such outrage online tbh. The referee has a split second call and isn't going to get everything right. It can be best for everyone involved when something blatant goes unpunished in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Do people really want the refs to write in their report something like, "I thought I saw the player catch the defender with his elbow but it was only out of the corner of my eye and I wasn't sure so I didn't do anything"?

Of course not, far better in those cases that he says nothing and allows these things to be reviewed. If he thought no action should have been taken then he says so, if he just doesn't know then best for everybody for him to feign ignorance.

Its just common sense and this is a non-story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Not sure where it comes from, but folks on Facebook saying Halsey also said:

"We've been told to give a certain amount of corners or throw ins, fouls bookings etc. The Premier League is rife with spot fixing and bias towards certain clubs from the FA. Every referee in the Premier League could be in front of a court one day soon"

.....If he said that, it's certainly not a non-story

(although how exactly do you give a certain number of corners and throw-ins?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Laois_Man wrote: »
    .....If he said that, it's certainly not a non-story

If he said that, its not really even the same story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

How come it has taken him three years after his retirement to come out with these statements. This just strikes me as somebody who hasn't been relevant in a few years looking for publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I wonder if he has a book coming out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I have to say, knowing him on a personal level I would be shocked if the quote where he accuses the FA and referees in general of being corrupt is accurate. He is a lot of things, but stupid is not one them.

The incident he was referring to was the one between N'Zonzi and Shawcross which he was happy to not give a red card for, and says he felt under pressure to say he did not see it since his bosses were not happy with his assessment of the situation. He also implies Lee Mason was under the same pressure with the Rooney swearing thing, though that is obviously hearsay.

The man has a big ego but I don't think he would be foolish enough to leave himself open legally by making accusations such as the one someone said is going around on FB.

From what I saw he only commented on the retrospective action thing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I think it's to save referee. How odd it would be if ref said I saw Aguero throwing his elbow at Reid but thought it was not card worthy? Just saying ref didn't see would ensure justice is done but just late.

Advertisement