Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carwings - how to get the best out of it

• 03-09-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

I have carwings now setup on car and android app. I'm pretty sure I have not worked out how to get the best out of it yet.

Is it possible to determine the state of charge if the car is left at a public charger somewhere by referencing the app? If so, how do I do that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

When you log in and refresh the status the front page of the app should show you the charging status, whether the car is plugged in or not, whether isn't is currently charging or not and the battery status in terms of bars (not percentage). It also gives you the GOM reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Thanks - will check that out the next time I charge it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Thanks - will check that out the next time I charge it up.

The car automatically reports its status every 10 minutes when parked or in use. When connected to a charger it reports back every minute.

But while Carwings has this data the mobile app doesn't refresh it unless requested or when the app is started for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 wrote: »
    The car automatically reports its status every 10 minutes when parked or in use. When connected to a charger it reports back every minute.

But while Carwings has this data the mobile app doesn't refresh it unless requested or when the app is started for the first time.

Are you sure? This doesnt tally with what I see on my 151 Leaf.

When I login to CarWings(not the App) it shows the last update which has always been when it last completed a charge or when I last forced an update. I have never seen it give automatic updates every few mins.

Maybe MY16 is different?

Also, why would it give updates every 10mins when parked? Nothing would change so why provide the same data over and over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I'd imagine he means to the Nissan/Carwings server? Would make a lot of sense for Nissan - big data and all of that - there must be great value in that data for them - knowing the driving profiles of all of their Leaf customers, etc.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine he means to the Nissan/Carwings server? Would make a lot of sense for Nissan - big data and all of that - there must be great value in that data for them - knowing the driving profiles of all of their Leaf customers, etc.

Everytime you start the car it sends data and it tells you that on the screen. That data is for Carwings and details each "trip". How many km's, energy used etc.

You can login directly to your Carwings account (not the app) via the web. It always shows me the data from the last charge as I get an email when the charge completes so presumably when it tells Nissan that it has completed its charge it also sends all its telemtry data. I dont get any further battery updates to Carwings unless I force an update.

If the car were sending data every 10mins surely when I logout and login to the Carwings website it would show me its latest data from 10mins ago? It just doesnt add up for me. I dont think it does what he says it does.... at least on my 151 car anyway.

I'd be interested to hear what others see happening on their accounts.

I'd imagine he means to the Nissan/Carwings server?

Yup. The carwings server receives telemetry updates automatically at the intervals I mentioned. Those are the same for all Leafs from 2011 forward.

What you see on the carwings app or on the web interface is a very different story.

Yup. The carwings server receives telemetry updates automatically at the intervals I mentioned. Those are the same for all Leafs from 2011 forward.

What you see on the carwings app or on the web interface is a very different story.

When it is sending data every 10mins does it show it on screen? I see it sending the data when I turn the car on... it shows "Sending info" or something to that effect. How did you determine that it is sending this data every 10mins/1min?

Do you have inside knowledge of Nissan's coding?

I used openBTS to do some traffic analysis with the MK1.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The car sends some basic usage data at the start and end of journeys and at certain intervals , it does not ( in the 2016 ) update charge or location on a regular basis .

however it does not send charge data , or car location data to the nissan server on a time interval . This is done on demand from the app or the web service. whats happens is the App requests the data and Nissan sends a text ( from japan I believe ) to the cars telemetry to wake it up ( this is already conformed on the net) . when the car wakes up it established a 2G data connection and transmits the data.

This is why there is such a long delay fro requesting info from the car , as the text message is quite slow in arriving at the car and 2G set and tear down is not the most efficient either.

I think the 2016 is now establishing a 3G session, but again its triggered by a test message to the cars telemetry

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    The car sends some basic usage data at the start and end of journeys and at certain intervals , it does not ( in the 2016 ) update charge or location on a regular basis .

however it does not send charge data , or car location data to the nissan server on a time interval . This is done on demand from the app or the web service. whats happens is the App requests the data and Nissan sends a text ( from japan I believe ) to the cars telemetry to wake it up ( this is already conformed on the net) . when the car wakes up it established a 2G data connection and transmits the data.

This is why there is such a long delay fro requesting info from the car , as the text message is quite slow in arriving at the car and 2G set and tear down is not the most efficient either.

I think the 2016 is now establishing a 3G session, but again its triggered by a test message to the cars telemetry

That's what it seemed to me as well but cros13 suggests otherwise.

It didnt make sense to me that the Nissan server would have up to date data but wouldn't display it when you login to the web server. Your explanation makes sense as sending 2G data from every car every 10mins would be a big waste of Nissans resources as they are paying for that data connection.

KCross wrote: »
    That's what it seemed to me as well but cros13 suggests otherwise.

It didnt make sense to me that the Nissan server would have up to date data but wouldn't display it when you login to the web server. Your explanation makes sense as sending 2G data from every car every 10mins would be a big waste of Nissans resources as they are paying for that data connection.

The text wake up is a standard method to wake up telemetry units, because it's a client server style connection. The mobile unit is the only one that initiate connections on the GSM network. . There is a blog somewhere where the leaf telemetry was explained. I'll try and find the link

*cough* so I went off, very indignant and swearing blind that what I said in regards to the regular check-ins was correct.... and then I checked the logs I'd saved and realized I was looking at the i3 not the Leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I still haven't set up my Carwings six months after MY2016 purchase. Is much there much difference to the auld app?

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I still haven't set up my Carwings six months after MY2016 purchase. Is much there much difference to the auld app?

Its not that useful on a daily basis but I have looked at it a few times to see my driving history.
    e.g. how many km's per month I'm doing and how efficient it is (kWh/km)

So, I'd say its useful to look at your driving history but not a must have feature.

As usual for CarWings though, it is not displaying the data at the moment. I get a blank screen when I look at "Driving History". I presume its the same for everyone.

Its not that useful on a daily basis but I have looked at it a few times to see my driving history.
    e.g. how many km's per month I'm doing and how efficient it is (kWh/km)

So, I'd say its useful to look at your driving history but not a must have feature.

As usual for CarWings though, it is not displaying the data at the moment. I get a blank screen when I look at "Driving History". I presume its the same for everyone.

I use it all the time to determine what's the charge percentage and how fast to drink up my coffee.

I use it all the time to determine what's the charge percentage and how fast to drink up my coffee.

I presume you'd use the app for that rather than the car wings website?

The question asked was how it was better or more useful than the app. I suggest its not that much more useful, at least on a daily basis.

I presume you'd use the app for that rather than the car wings website?

The question asked was how it was better or more useful than the app. I suggest its not that much more useful, at least on a daily basis.

There is no different functionality between the app and the web. As such since I'm out and about its the app that's get used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

I'm pretty sure that the website is flash based... so not very useful for mobiles - and only really works on PCs/laptops; if people still use those :)

I'm pretty sure that the website is flash based... so not very useful for mobiles - and only really works on PCs/laptops; if people still use those :)

It's not , it will work on an iPhone for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

It's not , it will work on an iPhone for example.
    interesting... never got it to work on Android (so assumed was flash based) - don't have iPhone

Advertisement