Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding GPU to this OEM pc

Options
  • 03-09-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Friend is looking for a PC for his kids to play games.
    What do you guys think of this PC and what GPU would you recommend?

£218 stg

1 x HP Pavilion P7-1058UK - Core i7 2600 3.40GHz 20GB RAM 1TB HDD Windows 7 PC Tower

Specifications

Processor - Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
    Memory - 20GB
    Hard Drive - 1TB SATA
    Optical Drive - DVD RW
    Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium Pre-Installed
    Wireless - 802.11 Wireless b/g/n
    PCI-E Mini cardTV Card - Hauppauge DVB-T USB
    Memory Card Reader - Yes

I think it would probably need a better PSU to run the GPU as its only 300w

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty excellent machine, so any card will suit it fine, as long as it physically fits inside the case (usually only a concern with higher end cards). 20GB is a bit random, and is likely to be some wierd mash up of random sticks of RAM - what sticks of ram are in there? Better off just using two matching sticks like 2 x 8GB. Or even just 8GB of whatever the fastest stick is, if some of the sticks are much slower.

What's the budget and what games?

300W is plenty at the budget end - something like a €120 RX460 which can run all the latest AAA games at pretty OK levels.

For performance cards like RX470 or GTX970 upwards, you would need to replace the PSU. 300W is technically enough for some cards like GTX960 too, but the PSU probably doesn't have the necessary 6-pin power connector and as an OEM part it probably doesn't have spare molex connectors to use an adapter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Playing FIFA for now but I'm sure they'll want to play AAA titles later.
    He was looking at a prebuilt system for £300stg but I recon the system I posted with a £100stg GPU will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, it would 100%. Any pre-built system for 300 is going to be frankly a load of garbage. I'd say an RX460 2GB is perfect for this scenario and is only €120. FIFA 16 would run at 1080p ultra at 100+ fps. AAA titles would also run pretty well, even the most gruelling titles at the moment would be pretty set for 1080p medium at strong FPS.

Or a second hand GTX750Ti for around €80 is also not a bad call.

Advertisement