Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muggings around IFSC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Gross exaggerations aren't helpful. I lived nearby for 5 years. Managed to not get attacked for all of my time.

So by my own n=1 experiment, it's perfectly fine.

The truth is you may be mugged or have an item stolen. You can play the odds by just being a bit more careful if you know about it and it's good for people to know it as has been said.

Id agree there is some truth to that given that if i had my phone in my pocket it would have been swiped by the guy on the bike. However, the guy i met in the garda station had been beaten by a group of 3 people. Others have reported seeing a guy getting thrown off his bike and his bike stolen by a group of guys.

If such people are wandering around and people in the area are more carefuls about having their phones visible, them guys are not just going to head home. They will just find someone and beat them until they empty their pockets and hand over their phone, wallet etc.

But Garda resources are scarce. We should have a lot more on the ground. There aren't nearly enough and I don't think AGS think there are by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes which is why such high amount of muggings in the IFSC should be a bigger issue in the media and thus put pressure for more gardai to be allocated to patrols at peak times.

The reality is I dont matter enough and neither do most reading this. My prediction is the following:

1) someone important or several tourists/business folk will get mugged,
    2) This will make headlines in some large publication overseas, most likely in the States.
    3) This will trend on joe.ie and social media for a few days
    4) Joe duffy and adrian kennedy will make it a topic of discussion.
    5) Politicians will look bad and then will pressure the gardai to do more. 6) 6) Then and only then will you see more gardai patrolling the area and this will likely be short term exercise.

But to suggest people should avoid Dublin because muggings have happened in the city is nonsense. A colleague was robbed at knife point in Spain, another had her handbag wrestled off her in Rome. Should people avoid there too?

Well to summarise, It was 8:00pm when i was robbed and i reported it shortly afterwards to store street garda station. They had reports of 5 other muggings that night. The security gaurd where i work told me a guy on a bike robbed his phone 2 weeks ago and also his friends on a separate occasion.

Others here reported seeing a gang throw someone off their bike and steal it.

Someone else mentioned their sunglasses were stolen on samuel beckett bridge.

So in and around the area, it seems that there are a lot of muggings happening so I dont think its just me making an assumption on my own single experience.

If there are specific areas of Barcelona, Rome or elsewhere where people are getting mugged frequently where there is no police presence just like the IFSC and surrounding areas, then yes they should avoid them areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

People are mugged every day in cities all over the world. Muggings in Dublin aren't confined to the IFSC and it's not the crime ridden blackspot that you are making it out to be. You were the victim of a phone snatch, it sucks and is understandably jarring but it's the unfortunate reality of living in a city sometimes. It won't be making headlines in the NYT in the near future, and tourists will not be cancelling their holidays here because of it.

5 muggings in the rough enough district Store Street (including areas like North Quays, Henry St, O'Connell Street, Talbot St, Amiens Street, Connolly Station etc) covers is probably an average day there. If you feel there isn't enough of a visible Garda presence in the area contact the Chief Super in Store Street and share your concern, but don't expect much to happen as he can't make extra resources appear at the snap of his fingers.

Checked data on geohive.ie there and Store Street recorded 1,384 theft related offences in 2015 which averages at about 4 incidents a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

The problems of police under resourcing are probably universal in every force in the world. You do need to be more vigilant in certain areas and incorporate it into your everyday mentality without becoming obsessive about it.

Certain Luas stops are obviously more of a target than others. Someone having their wallet in their back pocket at the Jervis stop is not exercising caution although the Luas at least seemed to have recognised the issue and have security present a lot of the time. Visible policing does seem to help a lot as it reduced the rate of crime in Times Square.

If residents and companies/employees in the IFSC area feel it's becoming less safe and muggings are increasing they should probably organise a meeting with AGS to highlight their concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,612 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

lightspeed wrote: »
    Well to summarise, It was 8:00pm when i was robbed and i reported it shortly afterwards to store street garda station. They had reports of 5 other muggings that night. The security gaurd where i work told me a guy on a bike robbed his phone 2 weeks ago and also his friends on a separate occasion.

Others here reported seeing a gang throw someone off their bike and steal it.

Someone else mentioned their sunglasses were stolen on samuel beckett bridge.

So in and around the area, it seems that there are a lot of muggings happening so I dont think its just me making an assumption on my own single experience.

If there are specific areas of Barcelona, Rome or elsewhere where people are getting mugged frequently where there is no police presence just like the IFSC and surrounding areas, then yes they should avoid them areas.

Given the district Store St covers and its extent - given that it's one of the two busiest stations in Dublin - 5 reports of theft/mugging aren't surprising to be honest. And they're not all in and around the IFSC so it's not really representative of the IFSC.

If you told people to avoid areas of cities as no-go areas because people had phones stolen, I'd venture that large swathes of most major cities would be ruled out.

It doesn't mean that AGS shouldn't be given more money to put more feet on the ground and yeah, you have to exercise caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If those are the prices, it's because people are obviously willing to pay them.

A lot of the people buying them will be in highly paid jobs from morning till evening and will have plenty of money to get dropped to the door by a taxi after a night out or a late night working. The value they put on the location is greater than the potential threat posed by the surrounding areas and the anecdotal evidence provided in this thread.
    I'd say the area is very popular for corporate lettings which would drive up the prices in the area. Facilities folk sorting out an apartment for an executive are probably only going to care about location, and I'd say the IFSC & GCD would be the first stops for a lot of foreigners coming in for jobs. Reduces the pressure a little on other areas though I suppose, so best not complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,612 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

lightspeed wrote: »
    Check out the below, for just €975 a week you can live in an area where muggings have become a common occurrence.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/ifsc/spencer-docknorth-wall-quay-ifsc-dublin-1402491/

To be fair, you've picked a 3-bed apartment in Spencer Dock that has 24-hour security, with daily servicing, all utilities and internet included, towels replaced daily etc included.

It's not exactly comparable to your average let - it's aimed at the corporate market as per Pepe's post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I work around Merrion square and phone thefts by bike are just as common there, we've had warnings from the Gardai sent into the office.

Personally I'd rather take my chance on Merrion square than in the ifsc but it's a universal issue. Not particularly localised

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Only solution is to ban cycling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Only solution is to ban cycling

You like traffic jams, then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Getting the suits who come around in their BMWs after a hard day in the IFSC buying drugs on Sheriff Street to stop might help a tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

dsmythy wrote: »
    Getting the suits who come around in their BMWs after a hard day in the IFSC buying drugs on Sheriff Street to stop might help a tiny bit.

Have to say I really agree with this, my ma's side of the family come from Sheriff St and I remember my aunty telling me that during the good times the lads from the IFSC would almost be queueing around the corner on a Friday evening to buy a bag of coke or whatever for the weekend. Sounds like they're still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Surely this is an easy thing to stamp out. Some dummy phones with built in GPS trackers, have undercover gards walk around with them out and when they are stolen track where they are being brought to be sold/unlocked.

The same thing could also be done with bikes that are being robbed. I really don't understand in this day and age with all the technology the gards have access to how this isn't stamped out.

They might say it costs too much but it would cost a fraction of what they pay on man power taking all the reports from victims.

Surely this is an easy thing to stamp out. Some dummy phones with built in GPS trackers, have undercover gards walk around with them out and when they are stolen track where they are being brought to be sold/unlocked.

The same thing could also be done with bikes that are being robbed. I really don't understand in this day and age with all the technology the gards have access to how this isn't stamped out.

They might say it costs too much but it would cost a fraction of what they pay on man power taking all the reports from victims.

Why would that stamp it out? Even if (and it is a big if) you managed to convict every bike robber in the city, they would be replaced by the next generation stepping into their shoes, and they would be out of prison in 6-12 months anyway.

Why would that stamp it out? Even if (and it is a big if) you managed to convict every bike robber in the city, they would be replaced by the next generation stepping into their shoes, and they would be out of prison in 6-12 months anyway.

If they know that there is a very good chance that they would be caught then they would think twice about it, right now it's a low risk crime for them. Even if they only get 6 months that's a pretty long time for stealing a phone or bike. But that's a different issue for the judges.

Also i think the more important thing would be getting the people who are unlocking or exporting the phones, if there is no one to buy them then they won't steal them.

If they know that there is a very good chance that they would be caught then they would think twice about it, right now it's a low risk crime for them. Even if they only get 6 months that's a pretty long time for stealing a phone or bike. But that's a different issue for the judges.

Also i think the more important thing would be getting the people who are unlocking or exporting the phones, if there is no one to buy them then they won't steal them.
    Is this the Rudi Guliani 'zero tolerance' idea that has been fairly well discredited in terms of effectiveness? Has this actually worked anywhere else? What would be the cost in terms of prison capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

If the gardai or government at every and any level are satisfied to allow these scumbags roam high profile parts of dublin city centre unhindered then it should be highlighted to the public who may have other ideas/standards and expectations of their capital city.

In this particular area is the expensive conference centre. We go out to the world marketing this as a top venue internationally to hold a conference. If we will not police the streets near the conference centre and the nearby hotels and eateries we should let that be known amoung the clientele we hope to attract. There is lots of competition out there from the likes of barcelona, geneva, milan etc and you can be fairly damn sure they will come down like a ton of bricks on smart boys harrassing their delegates when they quite reasonably go out for a stroll in the evening with their iphone. They won't tolerate that nonsense for long, and neither should we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I worked in Abbey Street and O connell st for years. Drug deals every two metres. Accidentally left my wallet in Dunne's and druggie guy dropped it into my work...I kid you not...money intact 200 euro. He left a note to say he knew me and we don't rob from our own. I wasn't sure how to take this!

The only place I have been scared was walking from Cardiff Lane ...early evening...into town. People off their heads.

Is this the Rudi Guliani 'zero tolerance' idea that has been fairly well discredited in terms of effectiveness? Has this actually worked anywhere else? What would be the cost in terms of prison capacity?

Eh no, where did you get that from?I was just commenting on your comment that they'd be out in 6 months to a year. I'm talking about the gards being proactive in tackling these crimes instead of waiting for them to be reported. Right now people are being mugged in broad daylight and getting away with it, I'd like the gards to do something to stop this.

I'm interested to hear what you'd recommend to stop this from happening?

Eh no, where did you get that from?I was just commenting on your comment that they'd be out in 6 months to a year. I'm talking about the gards being proactive in tackling these crimes instead of waiting for them to be reported. Right now people are being mugged in broad daylight and getting away with it, I'd like the gards to do something to stop this.

I'm interested to hear what you'd recommend to stop this from happening?

I don't have a particular solution to offer. But that doesn't mean that I don't get to point out weaknesses in your solution.

If you saw 'the Guards' documentary that was on RTE in recent months, you'll see they are being proactive about this. Maybe not proactive enough, or often enough. But it is unlikely there are easy solutions. If they want to clamp down on phone theft, they take resources off saving lives on the road or clamping down on drug gangs or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I don't have a particular solution to offer. But that doesn't mean that I don't get to point out weaknesses in your solution.

If you saw 'the Guards' documentary that was on RTE in recent months, you'll see they are being proactive about this. Maybe not proactive enough, or often enough. But it is unlikely there are easy solutions. If they want to clamp down on phone theft, they take resources off saving lives on the road or clamping down on drug gangs or whatever.

Or maybe, just maybe, they could divert them from catching people on tax discs and other similar minor things.

Or maybe, just maybe, they could divert them from catching people on tax discs and other similar minor things.

So divert them away from minor things like speeding?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-discover-60000-worth-of-drugs-during-routine-checkpoint-stop-753876.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I don't class speeding as minor myself.

WHen was the last time they did a checkpoint specifically for tax? Or exactly what minor things should they be ignoring?

Advertisement