Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doggy day trips and dog bowls...

• 03-09-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Right, a bit of background needed here... I'm currently living in a touristy area on the west coast. More and more so, especially this summer, I've come across dog owners who take their dogs with them on day trips to the area - All fine. But they don't bring any drinking bowl of any sort with them for some reason - All okay, though not ideal. But then they expect the cafes and daytime restaurants here to provide an actual drinking bowl for their dogs. All not okay...

I'm not a dog non-friendly person but I find myself taking issue with this. Oftentimes the cafe obliges and provides a mixing bowl, obviously from their kitchen, but I'm guessing this breaches some hygiene regulations. But regardless, I'd assume the dog owner should be responsible enough to bring along a bowl of some sort with them for the day that they could fill with tap water from the cafe or restaurant. I mean, what was their plan if no cafe or restaurant here had a dog bowl, especially with some of the some of the scorcher days we've had this summer?

This is just my view as a responsible parent of children, not a pet owner. What's the consensus out there with pet owners and lovers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I bring along a rubber fold up bowl everywhere I go & a large bottle of water. If I forget the bowl sure they will drink out of a water bottle. No big deal

I'm sure the restaurant washes the mixing bowl after the dog uses it. Sure mine rob food off the plates if they get the chance & we are all grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

We carry several of these whenever we take the dogs out. I don't think I've ever asked for water at a restaurant or cafe. There are plenty of places where water can be obtained without needing to ask; public toilets, petrol station forecourts often have a tap, some kindly dog-loving shop owners sometimes leave a bowl out, if desperate a 2L bottle of budget spring water from Tescos costs pennies.

pPETNA-5180100_main_t300x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Escapees wrote: »
    What's the consensus out there with pet owners and lovers?

I always have a fold up bowl with me BUT the businesses are fools if they don't have bowls for dogs because dog owners will be their bread and butter all year round rain or shine. There was only dog walkers outside the cafe and at the market in the park I walk in today - not fair weather families.

We've all survived allowing the dogs to lick a bowl/plate before it goes into the dishwasher in this house so I don't see how there's a hygiene risk. I'd be more worried out and about about germs from humans not dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Enniscrone beach has an outside shower and tap, and there is a dog bowl attached to the tap, which I think is great.

I always have bowls and water with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I always bring a bowl and tons of water while out with my dog..

However I don't see the issue OP, restaurants have industrial dishwashers which wash bowls etc at very high temperatures etc.. I think they are trying to be courteous to dog owners. Where I live most of the shops / restaurants have bowls outside (actual dog bowls) I think it's a nice touch. It's called catering for the masses .. No different to offering a kids play area, kids menu, colours for kids etc, oap discounts etc.

If you don't like it maybe complain to the manger or try somewhere else.

Btw there are many times while out walking my dog (even when I have water in my bag) he will go a drink from these bowls etc.. So I wouldn't assume most dog owners are irresponsible and don't bring water out etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There's loads of options if you don't have a bowl. My dogs (and others that I know of) will drink out of a sports cap bottle or even your cupped hands if they had to.

I don't think there's a problem with dogs drinking out of bowls that are used in cafes/restaurants. They get washed. No big deal. There are very few zoonotic diseases that you can catch from dogs. You're far more likely to pick up bacteria from another human in a cafe - not even necessarily from the person serving you, or even the person in the kitchen, but the money that came out of the till when you paid/or the buttons on the credit card machine, or the toilet door on your way out after washing your hands, or the back of the chair that loads of other patrons pulled in and out after they've been to the toilet and not washed their hands. The table gets a wipe, but have you ever seen staff wiping down chairs unless they're soiled?

To have a functioning immune system we need a certain amount of germs and bacteria in our lives to build up resistance. The real danger is having too clean an environment, especially for babies and children as they need to build it up the most. Certainly there are the odd few that have immunity problems and allergies but actually having a pet has been scientifically proven to lessen the chances of children developing respiratory diseases such as asthma and allergies. I blame the marketing companies who tell us we need to buy all the products that will make our homes 99.9% germ free. And don't get me started on non touch soap dispensers!

My child has a very compromised immune system & it is not animals that are the biggest risk to her but other inconsiderate humans.

I am pretty sure her collection of pets have helped her considerably as well as brought huge joy to her.

I often use sports cap bottles too with no issues, in fact the dogs seem to enjoy drinking out of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wouldn't like to think that a restaurant or cafe would use the cooking/food prep bowls to allow dogs to drink from tbh. I don't care how hot the dishwasher water is, nor how contaminated coins are... I know I'm diverging from the consensus here but naw... sorry... that's a line crossed for me :o

However, if a restaurant is based in an area where dog walkers are going to stop by, could the restaurant not stretch to buying a couple of steel dog bowls? A bucket or two? They only cost a couple of quid! I've been to a few where they have been thoughtful enough to provide water bowls as a matter of course... a simple, cheap, and nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Intuitively I'm like 'eww gross'. But then I think- they presumably are handling raw meat etc as well. If the washing procedures are not equipped to deal with a plate a dog has licked how will they handle a plate that has had raw sausages on them?

I've been caught out before with no dog bowls. More than once I'd accidentally packed double the amount of water bottles that were needed (I do a bottle per dog) and left out the bowl entirely. Bringing a bowl is the right thing to do, yes, but if you can improvise or just have the dog drink from something else it doesn't really cause a problem (hell, a paper cup will do in a pinch, though it's not very efficient). But I've yet to ask for a bowl anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

shaunr68 wrote: »
    We carry several of these whenever we take the dogs out. I don't think I've ever asked for water at a restaurant or cafe. There are plenty of places where water can be obtained without needing to ask; public toilets, petrol station forecourts often have a tap, some kindly dog-loving shop owners sometimes leave a bowl out, if desperate a 2L bottle of budget spring water from Tescos costs pennies.

pPETNA-5180100_main_t300x300.jpg

I've heard of these but haven't managed to find them. Can I ask where you bought them? I do always carry water and a bowl if we're off in the car but for walking these would be a lot less cumbersome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

anon71 wrote: »
    I've heard of these but haven't managed to find them. Can I ask where you bought them? I do always carry water and a bowl if we're off in the car but for walking these would be a lot less cumbersome.

Hi. Yes, they are very handy because you can stick one in your coat pocket without worrying about it spilling.

I think we originally bought them in Wilkos in the UK, I know Pets at Home sell them too so I'm sure you can buy them in Ireland.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-dog-water-bottle-with-dispenser

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Mine drink out of my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I have one of these for Nymeria. I got in in the welcome pack for the Petworld 5k walk this year (got one last year too!!!)

They are very handy.

Those drinky bottles always leaked on me. Fold up fabric bowl and one bottle of water for all of us works better for me. If I'm going somewhere with loos and where I won't need a drink I don't brother bringing water and just fill the bowl in the loo lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    This drinky bottles always leaked on me. Fold up fabric bowl and one bottle of water for all of us works better for me. If I'm going somewhere with loos and where I won't need a drink I don't brother bringing water and just full the bowl in the loo lol!

:eek: from the sink, rather than the loo itself I hope

:pac: yes the sink lol!!
    I did try to get them to drink from the tap but they were having none of it lol!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Nymeria goes into the bathroom and turns on the tap when she is thirsty! She is very independent!!!! Only problem is that I can't teach her to turn it off after her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Dogs go in the car.
    Water goes in the car.
    Bowl(s) go in the car.

Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Escapees

Thanks for the feedback. I think people picked me up wrong about the hygiene thing with cafes and restaurants using mixing bowls as drinking bowls for dogs - I agree that it's not such a big deal, although it would not surprise me if the health inspection folk took issue with it. My key issue is the way that some pet owners seem to go away for the day with their dogs with the expectation that the cafes/restaurants in this rural area will provide drinking bowls and water, i.e. they don't seem to have a backup plan. I'm just going by the expectant manner in which I've hear them ask, but maybe I'm wrong here...

Anyway, it looks like there are some cool drinking bowl gadgets out there these days for when ye do go off the beaten track!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I got one in the Pound shop. But as another poster said, mine did leak occasionally so make sure to put it in your bag upright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I noticed in Canada last year, every cafe we saw had dog water bowls outside. Such a simple thing.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with asking, how else are cafe owners to know this is a service that would be appreciated?

But my dog drinks a crazy amout of water so we carry water and his bowl in the car.

The coffee shop around the corner from us has a water bowl - we'd often pass it on walks or back and forth to the vet.... Considering he drinks out of puddles/rivers/flower pots filled with rainwater Bailey is absolutley DISGUSTED by this bowl lol! :pac:

The Borders won't drink out of the bowl if Mr Spinone has got there first! Mind you I don't blame them because after this 4 x 4 all Terrain Bog Monster is finished having his drink, the water resembles something out of a Horror Movie.

Advertisement