Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to partner up with an app developper

Options
  • 03-09-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I have an idea for a mobile app in which i really believe.

The app is pretty innovative by itself and combines several features that meet people's newly created needs.

I would like to develop it in IOS first and as I'm quite determined to get it out there, I started studying Swift.

The thing is even though I will learn developing IOS apps no matter what, I'm not against speeding up the process for this one and partner up with some skilled and motivated developper(s).

If you really do have the skills to build about any apps, are honest and genuinely interested in building something quite special please don't hesitate to contact me.

I believe there is a lot of innovative mind lacking technical expertise out there and unfortunately brilliant ideas are dropped everyday.

I'm pretty sure there is also a lot of really skilled people lacking purpose btw. So here's an opportunity :-)

Thanks for reading,

PS: I live in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

RM1718 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have an idea for a mobile app in which i really believe.

The app is pretty innovative by itself and combines several features that meet people's newly created needs.

I would like to develop it in IOS first and as I'm quite determined to get it out there, I started studying Swift.

The thing is even though I will learn developing IOS apps no matter what, I'm not against speeding up the process for this one and partner up with some skilled and motivated developper(s).

If you really do have the skills to build about any apps, are honest and genuinely interested in building something quite special please don't hesitate to contact me.

I believe there is a lot of innovative mind lacking technical expertise out there and unfortunately brilliant ideas are dropped everyday.

I'm pretty sure there is also a lot of really skilled people lacking purpose btw. So here's an opportunity :-)

Thanks for reading,

PS: I live in Dublin

So I'd be doing all the work in return for? And you'd be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume that's for discussion. OP did not say he wanted a freebe.

Water John wrote: »
    I presume that's for discussion. OP did not say he wanted a freebe.

These people always want a freebe or for you to work for buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dub, you won't be caught anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RM1718

Well yes I'm just opening up the discussion.

And I didn't see myself doing nothing. I'm looking for someone to help me accomplish my vision. There is already a piece of work completed behind. Providing solid ideas and building a marketing strategy are not worth nothing I guess.

When I say partnering up with a developper I also mean that the person will own half of the app. Maybe that what you meant by freebe and in this case it wouldn't interest you.

I believed it could interest some students or others opportunist persons to work on a project like mine.

• Advertisement

A 50% equity stake in a start up? How much revenue do you expect to generate and how soon? Who will have the controlling vote in the event of a tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Damienmac

This is starting to sound like an episode of dragons den.
    I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

A 50% equity stake in a start up? How much revenue do you expect to generate and how soon? Who will have the controlling vote in the event of a tie?

50:50 shareholdings, particularly in start up businesses where the two shareholders barely know each other, are a recipe for disaster. Someone has to be "the boss" and if you do go 50:50 don't do so without a shareholders agreement.

Shareholders fall out with each other every day so having a predetermined mechanism for facilitating an exit by one of the shareholders is very important.

Also, 50:50 sounds equitable and all but how is RM1718 deciding that getting the app built = 50% of his fledgling business? If it would cost (for example) €10,000 to get the app built by a professional IOS app developer on https://www.upwork.com/hire/ios-developers does that mean the business is currently worth €20,000 i.e. the idea is worth €10,000 and the app is worth €10,000?

I admire RM1718's altruism but instead of just offering up 50% of his potential business I'd recommend he scope out what it would cost to get it built professionally and then, if he can't finance that himself, invite developers to bid for the opportunity to build it in exchange for equity in the new company. If he gets a reverse auction going he'll soon find out what the market values his business at.

Just sayin!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

Well yes I'm just opening up the discussion.

And I didn't see myself doing nothing. I'm looking for someone to help me accomplish my vision. There is already a piece of work completed behind. Providing solid ideas and building a marketing strategy are not worth nothing I guess.

When I say partnering up with a developper I also mean that the person will own half of the app. Maybe that what you meant by freebe and in this case it wouldn't interest you.

I believed it could interest some students or others opportunist persons to work on a project like mine.

Not casting aspersions on you but I was badly burned by someone in a similar scenario before; ironically also initiated on here.

I agreed to do it for a VERY nominal fee and promised part-ownership and then got stung after 3 months' work (some of which they negated by changing database tables without prior discussion and killing a demo) with no cash forthcoming and 2 years of alternating promises of cash and absolutely ludicrous abuse via phone and email ended with solicitors letters and then them saying "we folded, no cash, soz 'bout that"

Grants, etc, had however been paid and spent; I just saw none of it.

Won't name names but if I ever heard the name again I'd tell anyone considering it to run a mile before even saying hello.

Again, not saying you're like that, but that type of con artist means everyone is VERY wary of such things, and only hobbyists can take it on if at all, with the resulting lack of experience and expertise - generally - showing.

Sorry to hear that decent skin, I imagine your frustration. You guys made me reconsider a few things to be honest.

I have this idea for months and it's clearly bugging me. I work myself as an finance analyst and I'm not an expert in the app industry.

I'm just a guy with an idea in which he believes and that is determined to get it done. I know from experience that if you are committed in doing something, even if you have no clue how to do it, things will somehow come your way if your remain structured and persistent.

I tell you where I am so far :

- I evaluated the market and determined why the app would be successful if people were to know about it
    - I determine how I would monetized the app
    - I drew the app on paper and listed in details all the functionalities it needs to accomplish
    - I'm currently designing test templates of all the app screens in order to prototype it in Invision so I can have a feel for it
    - I'm learning Swift and I'm still at beginner stage so I'm only building simple app in xcode so far
    - Brainstormed around possible innovative update
    - Brainstormed around future marketing strategy if the app has got a sufficient user base

What I haven't done so far:

- estimated the cost
    - registered a company
    - created a NDA
    - learnt enough about the app industry and owning a company

As you can see there's a lot to be done yet. I'm really starting from scratch and I don't have the pretension of being an accomplished business man or anything yet. I just want to give life to my idea and have a personal purpose for the years to come.

I agree that you better know who you deal with before putting yourself in such projects. Maybe I will meet the right people in the future.

I wasn't expecting much coming in here and even if I might have come too soon I don't regret doing so.

I really appreciate all your thoughts and input and I'm not against additional advices if you have any

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that decent skin, I imagine your frustration. You guys made me reconsider a few things to be honest.

I have this idea for months and it's clearly bugging me. I work myself as an finance analyst and I'm not an expert in the app industry.

I'm just a guy with an idea in which he believes and that is determined to get it done. I know from experience that if you are committed in doing something, even if you have no clue how to do it, things will somehow come your way if your remain structured and persistent.

I tell you where I am so far :

- I evaluated the market and determined why the app would be successful if people were to know about it
    - I determine how I would monetized the app
    - I drew the app on paper and listed in details all the functionalities it needs to accomplish
    - I'm currently designing test templates of all the app screens in order to prototype it in Invision so I can have a feel for it
    - I'm learning Swift and I'm still at beginner stage so I'm only building simple app in xcode so far
    - Brainstormed around possible innovative update
    - Brainstormed around future marketing strategy if the app has got a sufficient user base

What I haven't done so far:

- estimated the cost
    - registered a company
    - created a NDA
    - learnt enough about the app industry and owning a company

As you can see there's a lot to be done yet. I'm really starting from scratch and I don't have the pretension of being an accomplished business man or anything yet. I just want to give life to my idea and have a personal purpose for the years to come.

I agree that you better know who you deal with before putting yourself in such projects. Maybe I will meet the right people in the future.

I wasn't expecting much coming in here and even if I might have come too soon I don't regret doing so.

I really appreciate all your thoughts and input and I'm not against additional advices if you have any

No worries, and thanks for the reply and the first line in particular.

The flip-side was 2 apps I did that ended up getting patented; but that was a paid job, albeit a lower rate than I could have charged because it was a novel / class idea and really interesting and fun; there were actually 4 of us on it in total - a graphic design guy, me as lead for prototype UX, logic and DB, translating requirements, and a backend / ajax (he'd kill me if he saw this) code monkey! and the client, of course. Great idea and knew the high-level of what he wanted but it took some going to flesh it into a full-fledged spec - right down to some advice he'd originally gotten re doing it in Flash because of the level of interaction & animation - I scuttled that angle ASAP, and seeing it run on iPad and iPhone to this day has me fairly chuffed - even demo'd it just last week despite it being about 3 years old!

So I get you re the buzz when someone's invested in it.

But bills need to be paid too, and even with figures a possible share in something won't pay those for a 6 or 8 month lifecycle for a top-end start-to-finish.

From your reply I'd guess you know this and acknowledge it, so I'm probably waffling; and don't let me put you off, because no good idea ever got off the ground easily.

Do the missing maths above and give a shout back for a few more pointers - happy to throw what I'd hope might be an educated opinion your way, but unfortunately the bills wouldn't let me get involved; the only ones I could see who could would be students off for the summer; but you might still need to pay someone to thrash out the spec properly, etc.

Sounds a lot like an educated opinion so thanks very much for this. As I said I'm really a beginner and sure everybody was at some stage so it's not putting me off.

Yes you're right I targeting students. I completely understand professional can't take the risk to deal with no expertise people if they aren't getting paid for it.

Would you mind telling me how to get an app patented ? Do you need to have the full code written ?

Thanks again

Sounds a lot like an educated opinion so thanks very much for this. As I said I'm really a beginner and sure everybody was at some stage so it's not putting me off.

Yes you're right I targeting students. I completely understand professional can't take the risk to deal with no expertise people if they aren't getting paid for it.

Would you mind telling me how to get an app patented ? Do you need to have the full code written ?

Thanks again

Oh! The one bit I can't help directly on because the owner handled that bit.

In fact, I wasn't even aware he was considering it until past halfway through when he saw it coming together and asked some expert in that area if it was "unique enough".

IIRC it actually went live with "Patent Pending", but I could be wrong - that might have been only on the test version as a placeholder for the patent number.

Can check with him sometime next week for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

What's the app?

Yes that would be awesome actually I was looking for this but couldn't find it.

I'd be happy to check your app if they are out also

What's the app?

Soooo tempted to answer but my IRL identity would be exposed via the credits screen!

Sorry!

One other thing in case it seems like I'm self-plugging (which only occurred to me with the request for the app info).

It's a web/app hybrid yokey, so would have zero expertise with Swift that the OP mentioned; it's JavaScript / Ajax / html5 based to achieve this, with PHP & MySQL backend, so some app purists might say "not really an app".

I believe everything I said holds for either though, but someone in the know re Swift might flag some additional considerations as a result of the difference.

Just so the OP knows that I haven't forgotten them; emailed the owner yesterday re the patenting and waiting to hear back.

Hi guys

Nothing back yet and due to something on another forum here I'm closing my account this minute.

Sorry that I didn't get anything back in time, and hope the posts in this thread were worth something.

Best of luck with your app OP.

All the best
    DS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement