Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Knotweed ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, its Cavan Co.Co.
    They actively attacked the problem on a streatch of road near Kilmore Cathedral. Posted signs in July or August last year prohibiting flail cutting of the clumps. Then chemically treated them. This year only a few shoots appeared, so they will hopefully hit them again, as per their own web site advice.

However, they never went near several other highly visible infestations along the Ballinagh road, about two miles away. So its hard to know what their overall plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hopefully, there doing it as a pilot.
    I think the LA working with each local community as in Glounthaune is the way to go. Identify all sites in an area and eradicate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah, its Cavan Co.Co.
    They actively attacked the problem on a streatch of road near Kilmore Cathedral. Posted signs in July or August last year prohibiting flail cutting of the clumps. Then chemically treated them. This year only a few shoots appeared, so they will hopefully hit them again, as per their own web site advice.

However, they never went near several other highly visible infestations along the Ballinagh road, about two miles away. So its hard to know what their overall plan is.

They probably are tackling the problem by putting one guy on the job. That keeps the cost down while allowing the coco to say they are taking positive action.

From the coco point of view anyone spraying has now to be trained and qualified.

my3cents wrote: »
    I spray it fully aware that what I am doing is in effect illegal.

Still I would't want to stop anyone ;)

For me to tell you to use a strong solution of Roundup would also be technically illegal. Read the label :) However you will need to use the stronger rates and wet as much of the foliage as possible to get the best effect.

The councils do however seem to have recently taken on board that they have some responsibility for controlling Japanese knotweed so if informed they may do something.

After 1 week.

mNH0Kpg.jpg

After 2 weeks.

TLG6Owq.jpg

Three weeks after spraying.

lMPTQej.jpg

Was that you spraying or the council? If you what did you use and for the record what rate.

Anyone reading this now is a really good time before the leaves drop to be spraying Japanese Knotweed with glyphosate.

• Advertisement

That was me spraying.
    Clump is on the verge of a little by-road.
    Roundup BiactiveXLA
    60ml per litre of water in a knapsack.
    Had it dripping wet
    (That's Monsanto's recommended rate for Horsetail, Bracken and Knotweed. Don't think it actually works on Bracken at all, but its having an effect on the Knotweed)

EDIT: As far as I know, only Asulox works on Bracken. And it is only given a temporary licence for use by the Dept. Ag. every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jcanty85

Hi folk, sorry to jump on this thread but I thought someone might be able to offer assistance. I was looking at a house today which has been vacant for quite some time and is very overgrown, it has very tall, branch like weeds growing up through the patio and all around the house, is this knotweed or some other sort of misery??
    Appreciate any info,,

Looks like Sallies.
    You should take a more close-up photo of the leaves and stem.
    Photo 2 has Rhododendron on the right hand side, and looks like more sallies on the left. Np problem getting rid of either of those species.

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/travel/nature/trees/willow/sally_rusty_willow/sally_rusty_willow.htm

Is there any problem with these species growing up around foundations or anything? What would be the protocol for getting rid of these in the patio? Would they have to be dug out or just cut and sprayed?

The sallies are fairly shallow rooting, those are only a few years old. you could almost pull them up by the roots. Otherwise cut them off low and spray the stumps with brushwood killer or similar.

• Advertisement

So a sign has just appeared saying Japanese knotweed from the county council,, this house is up for auction soon and the open house in this week, just thinking what are the chances someone would put up a bogus sign? What sort of photos should I take to clarify?? Thanks for the help

Jcanty85 wrote: »
    So a sign has just appeared saying Japanese knotweed from the county council,, this house is up for auction soon and the open house in this week, just thinking what are the chances someone would put up a bogus sign? What sort of photos should I take to clarify?? Thanks for the help

My understanding is that the councils are only controlling JK on the road sides and on land they own. The signs they use seem to be be very similar and have the words, Japanese Knotweed Do Not Cut plus a site reference number and the name of the coco but not all the signs I have seen have the reference number filled in.

Article including a sign here

Edit> But if its a joke/scam I suspect its totally over the heads of the average Irish house buyer.

HA! I would be very suspicious!
    I worked as an Estate Agent and that would be a manoeuver and a half!
    Is the sale, do you know, taking place at the instruction of the Banks, or part of a family disagreement?
    Never saw the Co.Council signpost private property. I recently alerted the local Co.Council about the locations of a number of growths and they have done nothing. Neither signposted nor sprayed.
    Take a few close-up photos and let us have a look. (of the leaves, not the sign)

Once saw an auctioneer bring a friend to a site, with the friend dolled up in a suit and a "Woodies" reflective vest and wellington boots, with the objective of spurring on a reluctant (Corporate) bidder.
    Worked too!

Edit. You could ring the relevant Co.Council and ask whoever is in charge of putting up these signs. I suspect you will find the Council are missing a sign somewhere!
    If you are serious about buying this house, leave the sign where it is....

PS. A local Auctioneer sold an old listed building near me during the summer. UK based buyer, and I'm told he never visited the property, bought over the phone. I went for a nosey last week, and there is an ENORMOUS growth of KW. Ten foot high, must be growing for a decade. Bet his photo angles were carefully chosen to exclude that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not seeing anything that could be Japanese Knotweed, though it may just be that it is not in the photos you have put up.

Nothing in the pics looks like a serious issue. The photos can be enlarged so that it is easy to see that you have a largish sycamore at the corner of the house, that would need to be killed asap. There are also briars, willow (sallies), and another sycamore under the window. Everything else is just weeds. The sycamores and the briars would be my biggest concern, but all the shrubby stuff should be killed off.

Edit: just figured out the second pic, still no JK but there does seem to be a large bush right beside the house wall that would need to be removed. If it is as close as it appears it might be worth doing a bit of investigation of the base of the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Jcanty85 wrote: »
    just thinking what are the chances someone would put up a bogus sign?
    Pretty high I'd say. But download these guides and then look around the property for something that looks similar. If its there, it might not be beside the house.
    Some of the best simple guides are

Japanese knotweed http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/invasive-species-1/242-japanese-knotweed-id-sheet-1
    Himalayan knotweed http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/invasive-species-1/241-himalayan-knotweed-id-sheet-1
    Giant knotweed http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/invasive-species-1/239-giant-knotweed-id-sheet-1
    Hybrid knotweed http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/invasive-species-1/237-bohemian-knotweed-id-sheet-1

Three spp and a hybid the fist one Japanese Knotweed, Fallopia japonica is the main one causing the weed problem but the others are around.

Did my last check around and spray today. Probably not necessary as all I was spraying was fasiated regrowth no more than a few centimeters high, but if its green its growing and can only "benefit" from a dose of glyphosate.

If a neighbor doesn't spray his bit I'll probably get to it as its too good an opportunity not to spray at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Interesting development in the UK,

"Landowners are being urged to put firm plans in place to control Japanese knotweed following a landmark court ruling."

http://www.hortweek.com/network-rail-japanese-knotweed-compensation-case-ruling-warrants-action/plant-health/article/1423531

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Interesting development in the UK,

"Landowners are being urged to put firm plans in place to control Japanese knotweed following a landmark court ruling."

http://www.hortweek.com/network-rail-japanese-knotweed-compensation-case-ruling-warrants-action/plant-health/article/1423531

That brings back memories, good old Horticultural Weekly, I used to have a subscription to it nearly 40 years ago when it was called Gardeners Chronicle & Horticultural Trade Journal, GCnHTJ for short.

Anyway back to the topic well spotted good article!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

That brings back memories, good old Horticultural Weekly, I used to have a subscription to it nearly 40 years ago when it was called Gardeners Chronicle & Horticultural Trade Journal, GCnHTJ for short.

Anyway back to the topic well spotted good article!

Hat tip to An Taisce!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

found this in the garden today. the garden has not had knotweed before, and has appeared in an area which had a leylandii hedge for decades (taken out about three years ago). it doesn't show any sign of the reddish stem that seems to be one of the identifiers, but i don't know what else it might be?
    it was found about three foot from the corner at the end of the garden - we don't see any in the garden beside us, but that does not preclude it coming from the garden of the house behind us.

417986.jpg

• Advertisement

Nah not a chance that is Japanese Knotweed. Does however look very Solanaceae like so I'd take a stab at Deadly Nightshade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna check out the last picture at the bottom of the page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - what makes you think it's not JKW?
    i should point out we're in D9, whether that makes a difference. houses are about 60 years old. so well established gardens.

I don't think the leaves are "heart shaped" enough, and there are leaves growing where there isn't a "zig" or a "zag" in the stem.

cheers - what makes you think it's not JKW?
    i should point out we're in D9, whether that makes a difference. houses are about 60 years old. so well established gardens.

JK is very upright with a noticeable red stem, Deadly Nightshade is sort of limply shruby by comparison. By the time it gets to the size of your specimen JK stems are starting to get hollow. Jk leaves are broader. Jk leaves also have green glow about them that looks slightly unnatural (not quite the same as other green plants).

Edit> Recently found this little JK control advice leaflet might as well post it here https://www.alci.ie/fs/doc/Round%20Up%20-%20Japanese%20Knotweed%2014-05-10.pdf

cheers; this is growing up through some other plants (a rowan we planted, which has a self seeded willow and fuschia we didn't) so can't tell if it's freestanding. the stems certainly didn't look substantial enough to support the height of what we found - about three foot, i'd guess.

cheers; this is growing up through some other plants (a rowan we planted, which has a self seeded willow and fuschia we didn't) so can't tell if it's freestanding. the stems certainly didn't look substantial enough to support the height of what we found - about three foot, i'd guess.

Good JK picture in this Daily Mirror article (the second pic on the page).

You can see the width colour and shape of the leaves along with that slight zig zag to the stems plus the red tinge at the base of each leaf which as the stems get bigger becomes a red mottling on the stems.

Rethinking my first stab at that being Deadly Nightshade think it might actually be Woody Nightshade?

cheers; it's interesting that nightshade was not mentioned in the few 'these are plants that may be mistaken for JKW' guides i found online - especially given that some of the plants featured in those guides look much less like it than the nightshades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Woody Nightshade is quite common, and decorative.

Its not JKW: why not leave it to grow until you see purple flowers with yellow middles, then you'll know for sure it is a Solanum.

NB if you have kiddies, be wary: the flowers turn into berries that are poisonous..

• Advertisement
Advertisement