Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add RCD to lighting circut

Options
  • 03-09-2016 7:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I'm redoing a bathroom and will have IP65 down-lights in the shower area (and in a niche in the shower), replacing an existing light fitting.

The down-lights require RCD protection which the CU / fuse box currently does not have on the lighting circuits.

Is it possible to retrofit RCD for light circuits on the existing CU? (CU from 1995) Or is it a whole board change?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm redoing a bathroom and will have IP65 down-lights in the shower area (and in a niche in the shower), replacing an existing light fitting.

The down-lights require RCD protection which the CU / fuse box currently does not have on the lighting circuits.

Is it possible to retrofit RCD for light circuits on the existing CU? (CU from 1995) Or is it a whole board change?

Assuming that there is enough space in the board it s possible to fit additional RCD's / MCB's / RCBO's etc. However legally this work must be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor. Apart from this it would be inadvisable for anyone other than an electrician to do this work from a safety perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

2011 wrote: »
    Assuming that there is enough space in the board it s possible to fit additional RCD's / MCB's / RCBO's etc. However legally this work must be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor. Apart from this it would be inadvisable for anyone other than an electrician to do this work from a safety perspective.

Indeed, not considering doing it myself.

Trying to foresee the work required / cost involved. I assume an MBC can be swapped out for an RCBO while keeping the same wiring?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Trying to foresee the work required / cost involved. I assume an MBC can be swapped out for an RCBO while keeping the same wiring?

Depends on how it is wired, but generally this is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

If the neutrals are looped ( the wiring done in singles pvc, pvc) you may have to rewire the bathroom lights completely and fit an rcd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

solargain wrote: »
    If the neutrals are looped ( the wiring done in singles pvc, pvc) you may have to rewire the bathroom lights completely and fit an rcd

That would be the best option as the 4th Edition requires the bathroom lights to have a dedicated RCD - i.e. an RCBO or RCCB only serving one MCB and with non-bathroom lights not on that circuit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement