Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What foot do you unclip when stopping?

Options
  • 03-09-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭

I apologise if this sounds like a stupid question, but try and stick with me on this. What foot do you unclip when stopping? Is it personal preference, or is there a reason you would choose one over the other.

I am quite dominantly left footed, and when I went to clipless pedals about three months ago I almost made a fool of myself a couple of times by unclipping my left foot (pavement side) when stopping. Unfortunately, when setting off again, my ingrained response is to go to drive with my left foot, which was the one stopping me from falling sideways. No momentum and no support means that I panic wrench my other foot off the padal to stop myself from toppling over.

I've since learned to keep my dominant left foot clipped in at all times, and unclip my right (traffic side) foot.

Is this something that makes little difference, or is there some reason that I should force myself to learn to do things the opposite way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I'm probably right footed, but unclip on the left. Not sure why exactly, though always have the feeling that if the foot should slip I'd rather go to the side of the road than into traffic. Having said that, it could be argued in favour of unclipping the right, and preventing a fall to the right due to being unbalanced!

Personally I don't think it makes major odds (other than wearing out one cleat faster!), though like yourself when I've tried unclipping the "other" foot on occasion, it just feels weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm left footed.

I I clip my left foot if there is a kerbstone to rest it on. If not I I clip my right foot.

Why do I do this? I've no idea! Never even thought about it before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Which ever foot is nearest the ground when I can't manage to trackstand anymore, about 10 seconds usually. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

I'm right footed, and always unclip the left foot first. I would have more strength pushing off then. I presume that's the reason, I never really thought about it until now.

I have only had to unclip the right foot first once, it didn't happen on time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'm glad there is no accepted standard, and that everyone does their own thing for whatever their reason is.

On the other hand, now you've got me afraid that I'm overthinking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I have always put my left foot to ground, not clipped in, and clipped in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm right footed and clip out with my left. Closest to the kerb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm right footed and I unclip my right foot. It feels more comfortable for me to have the dominant foot supporting my balance when stopped and pushing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Righted footed, always unclip the left, seems more natural to transfer the weight to the left side. Theory based on clipping right first for take off sounds like it might be on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Left footed and unclip left first generally

but as someone said above, unclip on the rhs the odd time if needed after failing at trackstanding

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kerbside/left on the road bikes, right on the track bikes and turbos....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Tend to unclip my left foot. Particularly at a kerb.

I have tried to unclip my right but have fallen over every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm right footed and generally unclip the left foot first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Left foot first. Always.
    It's the 'standing leg' given that I'm right-footed.
    Nearest the edge of the road, usually.
    Dismount on the left in cyclocross also.
    Clip in on the right first also.
    It just happens instinctively. I never think much about it- till now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I don't wear clips, but will always try to dismount or put foot down on the side away from the traffic, so normally the left when in Ireland, on the right when on the mainland of Europe. 'Swhat I was taught as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was taught, many many years ago, to mount/dismount on the left.
    I continue to do that, to this day. So, when stopped in traffic, I always put left foot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I always get on and off the bike from the left and push off with the right pedal. Find it quite difficult to do from the other side, so instinctively I always put the left foot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

loyatemu wrote: »
    I always get on and off the bike from the left and push off with the right pedal. Find it quite difficult to do from the other side, so instinctively I always put the left foot down.

I thought I was alone in being unable to mount my bike from the right!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

On the other hand, now you've got me afraid that I'm overthinking it!

you are. use whatever foot gets you stopped without falling and moving again. the foot anyone here uses doesn't matter one bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

sullivlo wrote: »
    I thought I was alone in being unable to mount my bike from the right!

I'll walk around the bike rather than mount from the right. No idea why, just pure habit I think

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Right foor is my stronger foot an always unclip right foot. Also its easier to get back in when starting off again

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Unclipping dominant foot seems weird, cos then you don't have it clipped in to start off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Hrududu wrote: »
    I'll walk around the bike rather than mount from the right. No idea why, just pure habit I think

It's also safer to have your body on the jump-to-safety side and your bike on the traffic side.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Left foot and rest it on the kerb!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I'm left-footed so always unclip the right. Always.

When I put SPD's on my wife's bike and she was trying them for the first time I noticed in the garden that she was clipped in with her right foot (she's also left-footed as well), so I pointed that out and said that was weird she was clipped in with the 'wrong' foot - I said she should unclip the other one and have her left in the pedal. Anyway....off she went down the garden and got to the gates where she went to stop, uncliped right foot as I said, but instinctively leaned over to her left, got all confused and of course fell over! Jeez it was so funny to see but she freaked out and kicked the bike and then called me all the effin this-and-that names under the sun! :). Lucky it was only her pride really that was hurt.
    Anyway, point is....don't think about it, just unclip whatever side you instinctively do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

Seems like most people unclip their non-dominant side!

I unclip my right (am right footed), probably as I felt more confident clipping back in on that side when I was learning and it just stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Had never about it. Left. Always has been. No idea why. Even on plain ol' platform pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Though I'm "right dominant", I quite easily switch to left bar writing. Therefore when I stop I put whichever foot will be most stable wherever I stop. The left side is arguably further down resulting in more of a lean sometimes. Also I can factor in wind direction as it is easier to lean into a crosswind than with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I clip out with the left although I'm right handed/footed.

I've never given it any real thought but probably because 1, the left is Kerb side & Two is I get a stronger drive off with my right, dominant leg.

As an after thought, and relating it to my own sport (Judo).. I use my left leg for balance and right is use for the power stuff ~ if you see my avatar I'm in the blue driving through an opponent with my right leg, cycling probably works in much the same way for me.

Advertisement