Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Ya, I found that a bit strange. I think it's looking increasingly likely that Matt is going to leave The Last Word, he has a lot of other commitments these days. Even though I think the quality of the show has declined lately (mainly due to Matt's new-found PC approach to presenting) it would be a lot worse without him at the helm. Case in point: Susan Keogh. Based on recent trends, she would probably get the gig if Matt left.

Not a hope in hell would Susan Keogh get it, they would have to bring someone in from outside or maybe bring back gavan reilly for it but I agree, it really looks like Matt is going to leave the show, he has way too much on to commit to it like he used to and there is no way he could continue to do TLW and the tv show, its just too much, he looks knackered on the tv and he seems to have put on a lot of weight, probably eating on the go, i could see him doing more journo work alongside tv and maybe a weekend gig on newstalk (sahurday), also today fm have attempted to go for a younger audience (although it has backfired on them dramatically with al porter) but cooper really doesnt fit into the line up any more sandwiched in between fergus darcy and louise duffy
    Matt has been taking an awful lot of time off lately and that shows that long term its not possible for him to do the two and maybe after a long time presenting the show, hes happy to move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ya, I found that a bit strange. I think it's looking increasingly likely that Matt is going to leave The Last Word, he has a lot of other commitments these days. Even though I think the quality of the show has declined lately (mainly due to Matt's new-found PC approach to presenting) it would be a lot worse without him at the helm. Case in point: Susan Keogh. Based on recent trends, she would probably get the gig if Matt left.

theres a few that could get it, the political reporter guy and the one who presented last night whos names I cant remember and Hugh linihan/lenihan

neris wrote: »
    theres a few that could get it, the political reporter guy and the one who presented last night whos names I cant remember and Hugh linihan/lenihan

Hugh Linnehan works for the irish times who are in the middle of a spat with communicorp so hes not going to get it, Gavan Reilly is the man for the job if they could entice him back from tv3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

neris wrote: »

I liked Hugh Linehan as a stand-in. It's a pity he's a victim of that Irish Times embargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Hugh Linnehan works for the irish times who are in the middle of a spat with communicorp so hes not going to get it, Gavan Reilly is the man for the job if they could entice him back from tv3

Gavin Reilly would manage to crank up the liberal PC-ness of the show another notch if he got the job. And add a bit of snowflakiness.

A perfect fit for the 2017 version of Today FM.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear the interview with Georgie Crawford on the show yesterday evening? A heartbreaking interview but she handled it so well and i really hope she gets through this tough time

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

BPKS wrote: »
    Gavin Reilly would manage to crank up the liberal PC-ness of the show another notch if he got the job. And add a bit of snowflakiness.

A perfect fit for the 2017 version of Today FM.

:confused: Bizarre character assassination there.

Gavan is a quality journalist and well-deserving of an opportunity given how ably he deputised previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Needs to water down the PCness a good bit. Despite its media popularity it alienates a large section of the listenership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Anyone hear the interview with Georgie Crawford on the show yesterday evening? A heartbreaking interview but she handled it so well and i really hope she gets through this tough time
    Shocking. Hope it is benign.

:confused: Bizarre character assassination there.

Gavan is a quality journalist and well-deserving of an opportunity given how ably he deputised previously.

Character assassination?

By calling him a liberal PC snowflake?

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

quintana76 wrote: »
    Needs to water down the PCness a good bit. Despite its media popularity it alienates a large section of the listenership.
    You'll love the discussion between 4.30 and 5pm this evening about fairy tales. Apparently, Sleeping Beauty should be rewritten to show young boys that kissing sleeping females is wrong. And all the rest of the fairy tales too so the correct message can be enforced onto males. I assume fairy tales showing female empowerment are ok though.

Now, not much wrong there except no boy I have come across has ever said 'read me Sleeping Beauty again', not my sons, nephews or godchildren.

Somehow, I'm thinking neither contributor has children?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

it really looks like Matt is going to leave the show, he has way too much on to commit to it like he used to and there is no way he could continue to do TLW and the tv show, its just too much, he looks knackered on the tv and he seems to have put on a lot of weight, probably eating on the go,

i went back on last night's show to check that, he looks in normal shape! prob great shape compared to the country average.

You'll love the discussion between 4.30 and 5pm this evening about fairy tales. Apparently, Sleeping Beauty should be rewritten to show young boys that kissing sleeping females is wrong. And all the rest of the fairy tales too so the correct message can be enforced onto males. I assume fairy tales showing female empowerment are ok though.

Now, not much wrong there except no boy I have come across has ever said 'read me Sleeping Beauty again', not my sons, nephews or godchildren.

Somehow, I'm thinking neither contributor has children?

It was exactly what I expected of the panel they bring in for this slot now.

In fairness to Louise Duffy she tried to make light of it, saying there isn't Ninja Turtles running around the sewers but the other female on the panel shot her down with a typical PC feminist rant. And the fella on the panel did the usual fudge job when asked for his comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In fairness to Louise Duffy she tried to make light of it, saying there isn't Ninja Turtles running around the sewers but the other female on the panel shot her down with a typical PC feminist rant. And the fella on the panel did the usual fudge job when asked for his comment.

That half hour was the absolute dregs of radio. Even Henry McKean interviewing junkies over on NT made for better listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

Would they stop bringing on offended feminists but I suppose they get people talking ... Says a lot when Louise is the voice of reason

I was reading somewhere louise o Neill is actually rewriting this or another fairytale with a feminist twist ...ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I loved the idiot who Matt read out the whatsapp messages from. Complaining about no diversity on the panel. And him having been whinging over Halawa a few days ago :pac:

Great when people use words they dont understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Interview with Peter Ryan was compelling.

Literally sat a petrol pump for 15 minutes to hear the end of it.

I love Matt Cooper and I hate Matt Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interview with Peter Ryan was compelling.

Literally sat a petrol pump for 15 minutes to hear the end of it.

I love Matt Cooper and I hate Matt Cooper.

Can you tell me who this is, and what the interview was about, to see if its worth a listen back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can you tell me who this is, and what the interview was about, to see if its worth a listen back?

It's on the show's podcasts. He's a former Tipperary minor hurler who discovered at the age of 20-21 that he was going blind. Now a champion paralympic cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

............Literally sat a petrol pump for 15 minutes to hear the end of it..........

Go ahead caller.

Joe, Joe can you hear me? Is that you Joe. Let me tell you about some gobshyte parked at the pumps in Applegreen yesterday for 15 mins. The nerve.

I had me childers in the back of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like they've gone back to just the two guests and Matt for the start of the Friday show and it's so much better with that amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Always amusing when the doctor is on. Anti-vaxxers pop up always :D

I was listening to his show a bit today in the car.....by Jesus there is some amount of filler on that show....adverts, competitions, weather, umpteen traffic reports....

Someday I am going to time actual discussion/topic time and see what percentage of the show it actually makes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

I was listening to his show a bit today in the car.....by Jesus there is some amount of filler on that show....adverts, competitions, weather, umpteen traffic reports....

Someday I am going to time actual discussion/topic time and see what percentage of the show it actually makes up.

Hey don't knock the competitions...I've won a good few of them over the past 10 years. Thought my number was blocked for a while until I won another just before Christmas :P

I think its gas the way the over use analysts on the show, take Karl Deeter, he would be on the odd time to discuss mortgages etc but since he got a slot in the Friday interview, he was on twice in the last few days, including the Friday Panel.

Plus I miss the mix of Irish Times contributors, I am very surprised that Matt is allowing this ban on his programme...freedom of speech and all that.

What is notable is the length of the music and TV sections - they used to be around 10 minutes, not they are about a half hour.
    Plus would Nadine and John just get it on, the sexual tension is palpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

robo wrote: »
    Hey don't knock the competitions...I've won a good few of them over the past 10 years. Thought my number was blocked for a while until I won another just before Christmas :P

I think its gas the way the over use analysts on the show, take Karl Deeter, he would be on the odd time to discuss mortgages etc but since he got a slot in the Friday interview, he was on twice in the last few days, including the Friday Panel.

Plus I miss the mix of Irish Times contributors, I am very surprised that Matt is allowing this ban on his programme...freedom of speech and all that.

What is notable is the length of the music and TV sections - they used to be around 10 minutes, not they are about a half hour.
    Plus would Nadine and John just get it on, the sexual tension is palpable.
    Doubt it unless the upper management change of mind, but I agree as the Journal ones and Louise Duffy (she did the movies a few times) and a local sjw/feminist they can get, are frustrating as hell to listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

They had no trouble axing Sam Smyth when he put his head above the parapet. Matt can be a pain in the rear these days but he still has to put bread in the table and raise that large family of his.

Well I did an unscientific job today in the car.

He finished a piece at 17:58, think it was the bit about the Ireland 2040 Plan.

Then we had a quick advert or two, the 6 @ 6, the traffic reports, the weather, the sports news and then the business news...his next actual discussion piece about family cars began at 18:22.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Well I did an unscientific job today in the car.

He finished a piece at 17:58, think it was the bit about the Ireland 2040 Plan.

Then we had the 6 @ 6, the traffic reports, the weather, the sports news and then the business news...his next actual discussion piece about family cars began at 18:22.

So 25 minutes of repetitive waffle and “banter”. And that was only in one 30 minute segment. The previous hour would have been similar...

The show is 2.5hrs long, I'd be guessing you'd be lucky to get 1 full hour of debate each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The last few days I switched off newstalk only to hear the same person being interviewed by Matt or vice Vera.the Dumping lad today and the court report yesterday, I know they share some stuff but spread it out a bit

Advertisement