Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The last few days I switched off newstalk only to hear the same person being interviewed by Matt or vice Vera.the Dumping lad today and the court report yesterday, I know they share some stuff but spread it out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

NIMAN wrote: »
    The show is 2.5hrs long, I'd be guessing you'd be lucky to get 1 full hour of debate each day.

Speaking of the aforementioned waffle and banter, yesterday evening I heard Matt and the Business guy / “expert” wondering if all UK imported cars are registered here as 181’s? Business expert guy says “Yes Matt, I think so”. WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Does he have to constantly plug his latest book or article? I don't think there's anybody as bad for it on Irish radio. Makes him sound like a simpleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has he a new book out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has he a new book out?

If he has, you're as sure **** to hear about it, 100s of times over.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Much and all as I dislike Cooper, I've not heard him plug any books or articles constantly... ever. Have heard him mention very occasionally in or around a book launch. But never constantly.

It wouldn't suit his self-narrative anyway, to plug his own work. In fairness to him, he's made a career from being quite understated about his own accomplishments.

I find the faux humility more infuriating than if he was spending 2.5 hours a day selling his warez tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Last night he had an AA traffic announcer and some Hooray Henry type from the Communications Clinic discussing the weeks news - they really not be getting desperate. It sounded exactly what I imagine Instagram would sound like if it could talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was listening to him on Thursday talking about the shooting in Florida and he was getting digs in at Trump at any opportunity. Was real childish broadcasting and his attitude to Trump in general is still like a 5 year old having a tantrum coz they didnt get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

neris wrote: »
    Was listening to him on Thursday talking about the shooting in Florida and he was getting digs in at Trump at any opportunity. Was real childish broadcasting and his attitude to Trump in general is still like a 5 year old having a tantrum coz they didnt get their way.

I thought the Walsh fella was abysmal in the "debate". Facts aren't digs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm no Trump supporter and usually have the last word on coming back from work but Coopers anti-Trump line got old about 6 months ago.

Every opportunity and he'll shoehorn it in somewhere. Its tiresome. We get it Matt, you don't like the guy. Build a bridge and be a bit more objective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Its always the same these days. Whenever he has the Whinge, that is Marian Mckeowan, on the show they are like a double act. A few months ago, Michael Walsh was on when there was another anti Trump special on. He tore Mckeowan apart, and exposed her Clinton adoration for what it was, a misplaced teenage crush over Hilary Clinton
    Since the demise of the Right Hook, drivetime radio had become a chore. You find yourself listening to Cooper, and earlier in the afternoon, his twin, Ray, justto reassure yourself azthat they really are this bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

probably thinks the shootings never happened under the Clinton or Obamas administrations...Matt if your reading this your Trump bashing/PC'ness is tiresome...and there has to be anyone else better you can get for your show than the journal.ie "journalists"

There were school shootings before Trump.

You'd think listening to MC the other day Trump handed the guns out to the shooters.

MC was getting overly emotional about it. The Republican idiot from America even told him to calm down!
    We all know it was a sad event, but I don't see why a radio host on Irish radio should get so heated about it. Its happened before, it'll happen again and MC ain't going to get guns banned in the US, so he may as well accept it.

As for the quality of the show in general, its gone to the dogs. The standard of contributor is shocking now.

Biggest problem Matt seems to have is he doesn't fawn over every word Trump says. I'm sure FOX have some online radio that could cater to those desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

pjohnson wrote: »
    Biggest problem Matt seems to have is he doesn't fawn over every word Trump says. I'm sure FOX have some online radio that could cater to those desires.

There is plenty of fawning going on. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama comes to mind. The Last Word has become like a liberal Infowars on certain issues. Someone should have a word with Matt because it is becoming increasingly tiresome and unlistenable. Even that may be impossible as all his colleagues probably have the same compulsory luvvie opinions.

quintana76 wrote: »
    There is plenty of fawning going on. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama comes to mind. The Last Word has become like a liberal Infowars on certain issues. Someone should have a word with Matt because it is becoming increasingly tiresome and unlistenable. Even that may be impossible as all his colleagues probably have the same compulsory luvvie opinions.

Michael Walsh would be your preference then? Cal Thomas too liberal aswell I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I agree with most views on here. It's so refreshing listening to "Dr Ruari Hanley " speaking on various health related subjects with no BS. Just tells it straight. So lacking these days on Irish radio these days. I am actually surprised he has someone like him on, as most other guests are of the PC kind.

Michael Walsh would be your preference then? Cal Thomas too liberal aswell I'd say.

Cal Thomas represents the original ideal of the programme to have a bit of balance of opinion. Long gone. Even when he is on Marion McKeown is interrupting him all the time.
    Matt has over the last year or so become very partisan. Would have thought his role was that of a neutral arbitrator between the guests not a cheerleader for anti Trump rhetoric and other liberal causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I love Cal Thomas. The best contributor to the show by some distance - although that’s a relatively easy feat tbf. Best contributor and Matt is constantly poking at him and ridiculing his opinions. I’m waiting for the day Cal to tell Matt to shove his snowflakes where the sun doesn’t shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Its always the same these days. Whenever he has the Whinge, that is Marian Mckeowan, on the show they are like a double act. A few months ago, Michael Walsh was on when there was another anti Trump special on. He tore Mckeowan apart, and exposed her Clinton adoration for what it was, a misplaced teenage crush over Hilary Clinton
    Since the demise of the Right Hook, drivetime radio had become a chore. You find yourself listening to Cooper, and earlier in the afternoon, his twin, Ray, justto reassure yourself azthat they really are this bad

I think you hit the nail on the head here, and I wouldn't restrict your statement to drivetime radio either. Irish radio, in general, has become so homogeneous in the last few years, that it is difficult to distinguish one show from another. Matt Cooper, Drivetime, Pat Kenny, etc. they are all singing off the same liberal hymn sheet. It's almost as if the dissenting voices have been quashed. Now, I don't agree with everything George Hook has to say but, at least, he is different, and expresses different views than those of every other presenter on Irish radio!

Some other poster on here questioned why Matt has so many Journal.ie "journalists" contributing to his show - I believe the reason is that they share the same agenda and viewpoints as Matt and there is no disagreement - ultimately leading to one big echo chamber. There is no doubt that Matt has gone down the liberal, PC route in recent times, but surely he must realise his duty, as a journalist and presenter, is to allow both sides of an argument to be given in a neutal, partisan, and unbiased manner. Then let a debate flow naturally. Instead, these days, he is coming across as much too single-minded, and obvious in his stance.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I love Cal Thomas. The best contributor to the show by some distance - although that’s a relatively easy feat tbf. Best contributor and Matt is constantly poking at him and ridiculing his opinions. I’m waiting for the day Cal to tell Matt to shove his snowflakes where the sun doesn’t shine.

I too like Cal but he does sometimes come out with nonsense.

Theres way more snowflakes emerging taking offence to Matt. He stopped indulging the #metoo crap and the likes but you'd swear he is just reading thejournal headlines going by the whinging here.

Yes Cathy Newman. Strawman argument.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Yes Cathy Newman. Strawman argument.

And you criticised peoples debate skills :pac:

jimmyw wrote: »
    I agree with most views on here. It's so refreshing listening to "Dr Ruari Hanley " speaking on various health related subjects with no BS. Just tells it straight. So lacking these days on Irish radio these days. I am actually surprised he has someone like him on, as most other guests are of the PC kind.

Hearing the Dr getting really annoyed last week chatting about the anti-vaxxers was refreshing, and sad, to hear.

He sounded like a guy who really wanted to let go with both barrels but he had to pick his words relatively carefully. It must be soul destroying for a medical professional to see numbskulls on the Internet convince each other to harm their children and the population as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

charlie weston
    just rehashes the same stuff every few weeks. are there people out there who don't actually shop around for insurance? or energy bills? or phone services?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The fact that the same guests are being used on both Yates and Coopers shows and there is so much filler on the Cooper show especially, you'd wonder if there may be a merger coming down the line or that one of them will be calling it a day?

Having the Yates + Cooper combo on both TV and radio may make them more marketable.

It's getting tiring hearing Cooper introduce a segment referencing something from the Irish Times and then not being able to invite the author of the piece on the air and instead having someone from TheJournal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

marno21 wrote: »
    Having the Yates + Cooper combo on both TV and radio may make them more marketable.

It's getting tiring hearing Cooper introduce a segment referencing something from the Irish Times and then not being able to invite the author of the piece on the air and instead having someone from TheJournal etc.

To be fair - he isn't doing that by choice.

I have to say, I find the constant Trump-bashing annoying. Drive time radio a few years back was better, and Cooper had more competition so seemed to do a better show.

Is it coincidence that his show started to decline when his long-standing producer left last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Matt is on here chatting to a contributer who sounds a little like an American teenager (she is using like as every second word) The contributer in question is making the point that all women should have worn black to awards ceremonies.

Matt is pursuing a tough line of questioning, including 'A lot of people would be horrified that Kevin Spacey got paid more than his female counterpart' and 'yes indeed, a lot of people would agree with you.' Keep it up Matt, the politically correct left will be running scared.

Matt is on here chatting to a contributer who sounds a little like an American teenager (she is using like as every second word) The contributer in question is making the point that all women should have worn black to awards ceremonies.

Matt is pursuing a tough line of questioning, including 'A lot of people would be horrified that Kevin Spacey got paid more than his female counterpart' and 'yes indeed, a lot of people would agree with you.' Keep it up Matt, the politically correct left will be running scared.

He should have a trigger warning for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

You have to hand it to Matt, he has some neck. With absolutely no hint of embarrassment he played and commented on a clip of Jeremy Corben talking about the control of the U.K. media by millionaire tax exiles. Pot - kettle - black Matt?

He then later referred to Today FM being involved in Public Service broadcasting.......yeah right, only when the public being served is a tax exile millionaire.

Advertisement