Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

griffin100 wrote: »
    You have to hand it to Matt, he has some neck. With absolutely no hint of embarrassment he played and commented on a clip of Jeremy Corben talking about the control of the U.K. media by millionaire tax exiles. Pot - kettle - black Matt?

He then later referred to Today FM being involved in Public Service broadcasting.......yeah right, only when the public being served is a tax exile millionaire.

No that's rte(allegedly) and the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Matt Cooper has just asked a woman a question asking is there anything wrong with women only clubs. When she said no he just accepted it. This was after a debate about the exclusion of women. The new Matt strikes again. Hypocritical social justice warrior. Once upon a time he was a journalist not an identity politics cheerleader.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Matt Cooper has just asked a woman a question asking is there anything wrong with women only clubs. When she said no he just accepted it. This was after a debate about the exclusion of women. The new Matt strikes again. Hypocritical social justice warrior. Once upon a time he was a journalist not an identity politics cheerleader.

He just got called up on it by a listener. He laughed it off implying that the texter was some form of fascist. What has happened to the guy. He he gone to reeducation class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He just got called up on it by a listener. He laughed it off implying that the texter was some form of fascist. What has happened to the guy. He he gone to reeducation class.

No harm laughing at comedy.

pjohnson wrote: »
    No harm laughing at comedy.

You mean the contents of his 'women's studies' course.

• Advertisement

Whoops. Cal just said Trump made a "stupid" comment. Thats gunna trigger a lot!

Guess he has been "reeducated" aswell now.

Oooh he spoke dispargingly of "Liberal Hollywood". Maybe he is OK?

Whoops. Cal just said Trump made a "stupid" comment. Thats gunna trigger a lot!

Guess he has been "reeducated" aswell now.

Oooh he spoke dispargingly of "Liberal Hollywood". Maybe he is OK?

Number 1 statement suggests he suffers from a non contemporary affliction called ( I believe) balance as a journalist. Antedeluvian heresy I know but maybe he is just old fashioned. Would you suggest "reeducation"?

Number 2 is what you might call the truth. Hollywood! A perfect moral compass for the planet.

Number 1 statement suggests he suffers from a non contemporary affliction called ( I believe) balance as a journalist. Antedeluvian heresy I know but maybe he is just old fashioned. Would you suggest "reeducation"?

Number 2 is what you might call the truth. Hollywood! A perfect moral compass for the planet.

I would have thought Cal, Marian and Matt all in agreement would have had you badly foaming at the mouth about lack of balance since no one thought Trump was right!

I would have thought Cal, Marian and Matt all in agreement would have had you badly foaming at the mouth about lack of balance since no one thought Trump was right!
    You are suggesting that I have rabies? Oh I get it ! I see where you are going here.
    Because I don't share your opinion on all things I just have to be some swivel-eyed loon who is foaming at the mouth whilst tearing out their own hair at the state of the World. Not an entirely accurate portrayal I regret to have to inform you. But dream on if it makes you feel more secure in your own views.

You are suggesting that I have rabies? Oh I get it ! I see where you are going here.
    Because I don't share your opinion on all things I just have to be some swivel-eyed loon who is foaming at the mouth whilst tearing out their own hair at the state of the World. Not an entirely accurate portrayal I regret to have to inform you. But dream on if it makes you feel more secure in your own views.

No just based on your own posts. You seem to be taking this weirdly for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

On a slight aside, but does anyone else here find Conor Faughnan (of AA Roadwatch fame) extremely irritating? He seems to be on every radio show these days (Last Word, Pat Kenny, Sean O'Rourke), and his omnipresence is starting to annoy me. His is very preachy (albeit some of it is warranted), and his "holier than thou" attitude is grating at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

On a slight aside, but does anyone else here find Conor Faughnan (of AA Roadwatch fame) extremely irritating? He seems to be on every radio show these days (Last Word, Pat Kenny, Sean O'Rourke), and his omnipresence is starting to annoy me. His is very preachy (albeit some of it is warranted), and his "holier than thou" attitude is grating at this stage..

Charlie Weston is much worse.

At least Conor Faughnan actually knows what he's talking about.

Weston is a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yup. He used to read the traffic news back in the day, back when Dempsey was on 2FM if I recall. But somehow he seems to have carved a handy niche as the go-to “expert” on absolutely everything traffic / travel related for every media outlet. There’s no one else out there so it seems! To be fair he seems like an alright chap and he usually talks sense, but it’s mostly “common sense” - as in, he’s not telling me anything I really didn’t know already. Kinda like the safe cross code for grown ups.

But maybe common sense isn’t actually that common, and judging by Matt’s comments sometimes, I really do wonder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Cold Night

Biggest problem Matt seems to have is he doesn't fawn over every word Trump says. I'm sure FOX have some online radio that could cater to those desires.

Ok Matt.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think Conor Faughnan's voice carries a certain amount of gravitas and that can't be underestimated when acting as a spokeperson for things people should listen to.

For example, when I hear him on the ads for the AA, I generally tend to listen to him. It's not a conscious thing, I just find his voice burrows into my brain and I hear what he says. OTOH, the voice for the RSA ads has the opposite effect and I find myself completely zoning out because I just think this lad's an eejit.

I've never analysed what either of them are saying in any great detail but I have to say that I find Faughnan's voice engaging and that, to me, is a good thing for a spokesperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Good to have Karl Deeter on the week trending. A relatively moderate voice in a sea of left wing sh*t talk. Matt can't be trusted to challenge politically correct nonsense anyway, he is a cheerleader for it at this point.

Is it just me or is everything seeming classed as "left wing/PC" nowadays?

Is it just me or is everything seeming classed as "left wing/PC" nowadays?

Not classed as but is. It is rampant in the media and universities to the active exclusion of any dissenting voice. Matt has recently drunk deeply of the PC kool-aid and now seems to be incapable of accepting any unapproved opinion on his show.
    Could be a misguided attempt to get down with the kids or merely to fit in with the prevailing media orthodoxy. Makes the show almost unlistenable a lot of the time.

Not classed as but is. It is rampant in the media and universities to the active exclusion of any dissenting voice. Matt has recently drunk deeply of the PC kool-aid and now seems to be incapable of accepting any unapproved opinion on his show.
    Could be a misguided attempt to get down with the kids or merely to fit in with the prevailing media orthodoxy. Makes the show almost unlistenable a lot of the time.
    Matt is nowhere near PC enough to impress kids. He has laughed at some of the issues most college folk get up in arms about.

Matt is nowhere near PC enough to impress kids. He has laughed at some of the issues most college folk get up in arms about.

I agree. I did say "misguided attempt".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Comically biased from the start this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Comically biased from the start this evening.

Matt made zero attempt to temper his panel who all seemed to be under the impression that the men were found guilty. In fact, they seemed to be arguing for a justice system where people are found guilty if they might have done it.

Sad that the Last Word has sunk to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Matt made zero attempt to temper his panel who all seemed to be under the impression that the men were found guilty. In fact, they seemed to be arguing for a justice system where people are found guilty if they might have done it.

Sad that the Last Word has sunk to this level.

Its been at this level for a long time now.

Well what man in their right mind would disagree with that mob?

Have a look at twitter to see the loons baying for blood. Be career ending a la Hook if someone countered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Glad I missed it today, couldn't have been arsed listening to those who want the law to do whatever they think is right.

And sometime unrelated, but does there seem to be more TV and music, general entertainment slots of late? Are they struggling to fill the time now?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Glad I missed it today, couldn't have been arsed listening to those who want the law to do whatever they think is right.

And sometime unrelated, but does there seem to be more TV and music, general entertainment slots of late? Are they struggling to fill the time now?

Seems such things have become increasingly necessary when you have a PC zombie presenter. Distraction before very understandable future defection.

None of the Matt whiners listen till Friday next week. Susan Keogh is filling in till then. If Matt triggers you don't try her!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

None of the Matt whiners listen till Friday next week. Susan Keogh is filling in till then. If Matt triggers you don't try her!

Thanks.

I'm definitely out all next week.

Can't stand her. Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tbh, I rarely listen anymore.

It's turned into an entertainment programme rather than a current affairs programme. The few times I've tuned in the last few weeks, it's just been fluffy filler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Oh god. Today FM will be completely unlistenable next week then. Curtis in the morning and Susan Keogh in the evening FFS!

I know everyone takes holidays but some of the Today FM mainstays seem to take more holidays than school teachers.

Advertisement