Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe they want to do something with their families because the schools are off?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Today's Last Word television segment featured discussion of 'whitesplaining,' the 'metoo' movement and why women are underrepresented on certain BBC panel shows.

It would be great if they actually discussed television instead of the current fashionable issue but that is probably too much to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Today's Last Word television segment featured discussion of 'whitesplaining,' the 'metoo' movement and why women are underrepresented on certain BBC panel shows.

It would be great if they actually discussed television instead of the current fashionable issue but that is probably too much to expect.

They don't seem to be able to help themselves. Look forward to the next listenership figures. Maybe they are deliberately trying to sabotage the show and replace it with a cheaper music programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

quintana76 wrote: »
    They don't seem to be able to help themselves. Look forward to the next listenership figures. Maybe they are deliberately trying to sabotage the show and replace it with a cheaper music programme.
    Afaik, they will have to maintain a certain percentage of talk radio to remain in compliance with their licence so I doubt that is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The TV segment is really really dreadful with Louise ahhh’ing errr’ing and “do you know what I mean like?” Duffy.

Could they not find anyone else to do this segment? No one at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And as I said previously, is there more TV coverage than before?

I seemed to remember it one night a week, now it seems to be more often.

Filler?

If it's not Louise then it's Jennifer Gannon, who is physically incapable of reviewing a tv programme without making it into a feminist rant. Gordon whatshisname is a PC bore too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

If it's not Louise then it's Jennifer Gannon, who is physically incapable of reviewing a tv programme without making it into a feminist rant. Gordon whatshisname is a PC bore too.

probably the only benefit of the times ban.....And Louise Duffy is marginally better than a sjw from the Journal

The first part of the show was about consent which was a male-bashing affair. Then they had the TV slot which was about 'me too' and lack of women on telly instead of about programming. The final segment was about an exhibition celebrating women.

Why do they have to view everything to the prism of gender? I am genuinely going to have to switch off the last word for the final time soon. I can't deal with the endless agenda. I used to look forward to listening to it every day but Its becoming too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

The first part of the show was about consent which was a male-bashing affair. Then they had the TV slot which was about 'me too' and lack of women on telly instead of about programming. The final segment was about an exhibition celebrating women.

Why do they have to view everything to the prism of gender? I am genuinely going to have to switch off the last word for the final time soon. I can't deal with the endless agenda. I used to look forward to listening to it every day but Its becoming too much.

Gave up a while ago. Could no longer tolerate Cooper's intolerant attitude in forwarding a minority agenda. It is even worse with his stand-ins.

• Advertisement

Another here who switched off a while back.

I do occasionally tune in when channel hopping, but I find it never has enough to draw me back in again, if anything it just gives me more evidence of why I quit it in the 1st place.

Gone here too. It's well beyond time to stop listening when all you want to do is shout at the radio.

I sometimes tune in by accident and they rarely seem to have anything other than entertainment and agenda driven segments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

There seems to be a LOT of filler on it nowadays. Competitions, ads etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

I gave up on liveline in 2017 & ive already given up on the last word in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

One of the topics to be discussed in this evenings show is 'how long is too long to sit in a cafe with a cup of coffee in front of you'.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One of the topics to be discussed in this evenings show is 'how long is too long to sit in a cafe with a cup of coffee in front of you'.
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What are the chances that there is a gender divide here too! No doubt that men will be lambasted for spending a disproportionate amount of time sitting in a cafe whilst the women are hard at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

I thought I had misheard that too..... Jesus as bad as it is with Cooper it's a lot worse without him.

I felt like shouting at the radio the other day when I turned it on. It was the music slot and they were talking about some poll that had been held on Radio X in the UK. Given its listenership, it was probably no surprise that ever second song on the poll was by Oasis or someone else from the Britpop era. Yet all Nadine O'Regan could go on about was the lack of female artists on the list :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

statto25 wrote: »
    I thought I had misheard that too..... Jesus as bad as it is with Cooper it's a lot worse without him.

Thats why I laugh when people whinge about "PC Cooper". THIS is what PC actually is.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a LOT of filler on it nowadays. Competitions, ads etc...

To be fair, thats not a modern thing.

Its always had a lot of filler. I would say there wouldn't be a full hour of debate on the 2.5hrs of TLW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I felt like shouting at the radio the other day when I turned it on. It was the music slot and they were talking about some poll that had been held on Radio X in the UK. Given its listenership, it was probably no surprise that ever second song on the poll was by Oasis or someone else from the Britpop era. Yet all Nadine O'Regan could go on about was the lack of female artists on the list :rolleyes:

That wad ridiculous. Ive only heard tlw the odd time in the last few months, and twice its been a music piece that nadine o'regan twisted into a feminist rant - last tues and another time about david byrne apologizing for not using enough women on an album. Its cringey stuff...maybe im just unlucky??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

There was some slot on this evening (I can’t even remember what they were reviewing)...but there was a male and female critic...verrrry hard hard to listen to the female reviewer,who while patently Irish,insisted on speaking like a fourteen year old Californian with an extremely annoying upward inflection at the end of every sentence and a further lapse into American twang at regular intervals in between.....my teeth were grinding half way through willing it to stop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I used to love the first half hour on the Friday show where it was all silly stories like "A woman is suing a dog for copyright infringement" or mental local news snippets. There's always an angle with it now. Which is fine, whatever, but I liked that little reprieve from big issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Has there been a change to the production team in the last 6 months that is causing the change in direction of the topics covered. Also wonder is there any connection with either Matt doing the tv3 evening show or the fallout with the Irish Times causing the changes in content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

jvan wrote: »
    Has there been a change to the production team in the last 6 months that is causing the change in direction of the topics covered. Also wonder is there any connection with either Matt doing the tv3 evening show or the fallout with the Irish Times causing the changes in content.

if i rememberr righly in the last year or so he did get a new producer, as the long serving one left....im wondering is it the new producer that's caused the change or was matt reigned in by the old producer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

if i rememberr righly in the last year or so he did get a new producer, as the long serving one left....im wondering is it the new producer that's caused the change or was matt reigned in by the old producer

It would make sense.

The new people behind the scenes probably have made a difference. I also believe that the disgraceful Communicorp ban on Irish Times journalists appearing on its stations hasn't helped either. The Irish Times isn't perfect but it still has more credible journalists on its books than some of the journalists on clickbait "news" sites they bring in instead. Plus, Hugh Linehan not being available as a stand-in has led to them inflicting Susan Keogh on us.

The 6 @ 6 was extra cringey tonight, there was another girl on with Matt, and if possible, she was worse than Susan Keogh at it.

It really is bad that segment, what are TodayFM thinking? It needs to go.

Tonight there was a story and Matt started it off, of course summarising it for us. He then tells the other person "so tell us all about it",, she more or less repeats what Matt says and then plays an audio clip of another journo telling us about it.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    The 6 @ 6 was extra cringey tonight, there was another girl on with Matt, and if possible, she was worse than Susan Keogh at it.

It really is bad that segment, what are TodayFM thinking? It needs to go.

Tonight there was a story and Matt started it off, of course summarising it for us. He then tells the other person "so tell us all about it",, she more or less repeats what Matt says and then plays an audio clip of another journo telling us about it.
    I was listening to that, alright. It really came across as ramming the point down my throat.

I simply can't see the point of that segment. Waste time giving us the headlines just before giving us the headlines?

I'll have to stop posting here soon as I'm becoming too negative and I don't like that.

Advertisement