Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

The Last Word is a pale imitation of the show that Dunphy made. Back in the day, it was compulsive listening. You never knew what would come up, and if the chat was good, it wasnt always, Dunphy might just cancel the news and keep the chat going.
    Sometimes i thought he was inspiring, othertimes a fool, but always interesting, in fact, everything the Last Word no longer is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Today's easily offended snowflakes wouldn't be able to handle Dunphy's "The Last Word". Would Navan Man or Fr Wishy Washy be even allowed on air now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Last Word is a pale imitation of the show that Dunphy made. Back in the day, it was compulsive listening. You never knew what would come up, and if the chat was good, it wasnt always, Dunphy might just cancel the news and keep the chat going.
    Sometimes i thought he was inspiring, othertimes a fool, but always interesting, in fact, everything the Last Word no longer is

You should checkout Dunphy’s Podcast - The Stand. I find it really good, he does it twice, sometimes 3 times weekly. Mixture of politics and sport. He’s done some really excellent 1-1 interviews on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Should the Southwest 1380 pilot have been hyperventilating over the radio and causing panic?

Excellently handled I'm not sure what this line of questioning is about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You should checkout Dunphy’s Podcast - The Stand. I find it really good, he does it twice, sometimes 3 times weekly. Mixture of politics and sport. He’s done some really excellent 1-1 interviews on it.

The political ones are always worth a listen.
    The soccer ones are poor enough considering the quality of guests available to him.
    His brown-nosing of Giles, Brady and Hamann really needs to be reigned in at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What's with this stupid 5 at 5 crap and the same at 6 for the news. Matt reads the headline she then says "Ya" and just repeats exaxtly what he said. I find guests are always being rushed to fit in the nearly 15 mins it takes to do the news with all the adverts before and after and the dragged out headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, getting less and less content on TLW.

More news, weather, adverts and competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,241 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Friday interview at 5.30 or so is generally with a brutal guest, I would say once in the last 3 months I have stayed listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

This warning he and others give before a "bad" word is going to be used is so annoying. If you are offended by someone using a bad word, it's pathetic and you need to cop onto to yourself and lighten up........more PC rubbish.

That piece with John Waters and Eamon Dunphy was hilarious.

I wounder where that doctor that used to be on has gone, Rory Hanley I think, that man was so refreshing instead of the usual PC bull that's mostly on this show.. Probably decided to drop him possibly, it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jimmyw wrote: »
    This warning he and others give before a "bad" word is going to be used is so annoying. If you are offended by someone using a bad word, it's pathetic and you need to cop onto to yourself and lighten up........more PC rubbish.

That piece with John Waters and Eamon Dunphy was hilarious.

I wounder where that doctor that used to be on has gone, Rory Hanley I think, that man was so refreshing instead of the usual PC bull that's mostly on this show.. Probably decided to drop him possibly, it wouldn't surprise me.

So its PC not to want a kid hearing a swear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

pjohnson wrote: »
    So its PC not to want a kid hearing a swear?

What kid hasn’t heard a swear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I agree total over the top PC rubbish

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Mrs. Doyle: It's a bit much for me, Father. "Feck this" and "Feck that"

Father Ted Crilly: Yes, Mrs Doyle.

Mrs. Doyle: "You big bastard." Oh, Dreadful Language. "You big hairy arse." "You big Fecker." Fierce Stuff! And of course the F-word father, the bad F-word. Worse then Feck. You know the one I mean.

Father Ted Crilly: Yes, I do, Mrs Doyle

Mrs. Doyle: "F you" "F your effing wife" I don't know why they have to use language like that. "I'll stick this effing pitch-fork up your hole" That was another one.

Father Ted Crilly: I see what you mean, Mrs Doyle

Mrs. Doyle: "Bastard this" and "Bastard that". You can't move for the Bastards in her novels. It's wall-to-wall bastards.

Father Ted Crilly: Is it Mrs Doyle?

Mrs. Doyle: "You Bastard" "You Fecker" "You bollocks! Get your ballocks out of my face."

*Ted pushes Mrs Doyle out of the room*

Father Ted Crilly: Yes, you just go and prepare for the nuns.

*From the kitchen*
    Mrs. Doyle: "Ride me sideways" was another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

liam7831 wrote: »
    I agree total over the top PC rubbish

:D

We need a new "non PC" presenter. Maybe Ozzy Osbourne/Johnny Rotten/Gordon Ramsay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Is the woman who does the t.v. spot with Louise Duffy, Jennifer Gannon, not sure 100% of her name. Anyhow, was listening yesterday and noticed it before as well that she has a very negative attitude towards men, every time they are discussing a topic she turns it around to how men are dominating the entertaining industry and taking advantage of situations.
    It seems to be the only narrative she uses to describe whether she enjoyed the show or not.

jvan wrote: »
    Is the woman who does the t.v. spot with Louise Duffy, Jennifer Gannon, not sure 100% of her name. Anyhow, was listening yesterday and noticed it before as well that she has a very negative attitude towards men, every time they are discussing a topic she turns it around to how men are dominating the entertaining industry and taking advantage of situations.
    It seems to be the only narrative she uses to describe whether she enjoyed the show or not.

That comment could kind of sum up how the entire Last Word show has gone in the last couple of years.

Giving too much voice to too many numpties with their own agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

NIMAN wrote:
    Giving too much voice to too many numpties with their own agendas.

Susan Keogh being a prime example. The week where she filled-in for Matt earlier this year was an abomination! Feminists left, right, and centre!

Susan Keogh being a prime example. The week where she filled-in for Matt earlier this year was an abomination! Feminists left, right, and centre!

And the worst thing is, I suspect she is being groomed to replace Matt should he ever leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

She is now doing the movie slot and covering movies about mental health. She says it is very important to highlight the issue. She can't even keep politics out of the movie slot FFS . If it was the 1950s she would be a hectoring nun. Give it a rest love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

NIMAN wrote: »
    And the worst thing is, I suspect she is being groomed to replace Matt should he ever leave.

I think it will inevitably happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Why can't Ian Guider pronounce his THs?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I predicted that some time ago. Would be a complete disaster and, even though I find myself listening to TLW less frequently these days, if Susan Keogh gets the gig I will be switching off altogether. Not being sexist here, but it seems to me that Today FM are just putting her in the hot seat so they can fill some gender quota. Genuine question, what are her credentials? She reads the news, but as anchor of a prime-time current affairs programme, I feel you would need a background in proper journalism, and reading the news doesn't qualify for that IMO. In fairness to Matt, he was the youngest ever editor of the Examiner (or Business Post, can't remember which one) before he got the gig.

All that being said, maybe Matt isn't going to leave at all!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

Before you all think I'm Susan Keogh in disguise...I am not
    However, on the topics and areas that she covered for the week that Matt was off, she wouldn't have 100% choice of them nor the set of questions and research etc that goes into the topics, there is a production team and they would be heavily involved in all of that.
    Also, is it not a case for anyone who works in news room on radio - they aspire to moving to telly? A few years back, I though Gavan Reilly was gonna take over from Matt, but TV3 swooped in before Matt left TLW and he went off to them. Susan is on TV3 panels etc a lot lately so it may be that an opportunity out there would come knocking before Matt leaves TLW.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't really understand the difficulty with Keogh getting the job. Yeah, it won't be what TLW was in its heyday but it's not going to be worse than the current offer. Except for the inherently sexist listeners of course who can't fathom a woman hosting a serious talk show. But objectively, the current show is utter rubbish and it doesn't really matter whether it's Matt Cooper, Susan Keogh or anyone else sitting at the mic.

I have no problem with a woman at the mic......its just that I think Keogh isn't much good at it.

Oh ok.

I don't really understand the difficulty with Keogh getting the job. Yeah, it won't be what TLW was in its heyday but it's not going to be worse than the current offer. Except for the inherently sexist listeners of course who can't fathom a woman hosting a serious talk show. But objectively, the current show is utter rubbish and it doesn't really matter whether it's Matt Cooper, Susan Keogh or anyone else sitting at the mic.
    My issue with Susan isn't that she's a woman, it's that she's a terrible presenter of a prime time current affairs show, of which she has no experience to speak of. Usually in life, you gain experience, then work your way into a role. In Susans case, she reads the news (does she even prepare those pieces, or does Sinead Spain, the editor, do so??), and suddenly is parachuted into the presenters role. My issue is that Susans career trajectory doesn't appear to be a natural progression. Look at Sarah McInerney, for example, she worked for years as a journalist at the Irish Times, then got a gig in Newstalk, and is now on Radio 1. I don't begrudge her any success. Plus she is actually decent enough at presenting.

My issue with Susan isn't that she's a woman, it's that she's a terrible presenter of a prime time current affairs show, of which she has no experience to speak of. Usually in life, you gain experience, then work your way into a role. In Susans case, she reads the news (does she even prepare those pieces, or does Sinead Spain, the editor, do so??), and suddenly is parachuted into the presenters role. My issue is that Susans career trajectory doesn't appear to be a natural progression. Look at Sarah McInerney, for example, she worked for years as a journalist at the Irish Times, then got a gig in Newstalk, and is now on Radio 1. I don't begrudge her any success. Plus she is actually decent enough at presenting.

This is the problem now....if you criticise a woman for something, you are a sexist pig.

Women should not be above criticism simply because of their gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭amlinopta

More "banter" on the six at six. Susan explaining how spotted duck changed to spotted Richard in Westminster and Matt persistently asking her why. Pathetic stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Spotted dick even

Advertisement