Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Hopefully it'll stop her getting the gig permanently. Though they don't seem interested in trying out anyone else as a stand-in for Matt these days. Matt originally started out as one of the stand-ins for Eamonn Dunphy and was a safe pair of hands to pass the show onto when he left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I take it poor Susan’s knowledge on sport isn’t the best hence John Duggan hosting the sport for the last half hour

She's always done this as far as I know and she's straight up as to why. She doesn't know anything about it.

Pretty good thinking on her/their part in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

In fairness, it'd be car crash radio if she tried to present a sports show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

In fairness, it'd be car crash radio if she tried to present a sports show.

she sounds out of her depth when she tries to put a sjw/feminist slant onto things or when the topics aren't soft like how hot should your coffee be she did a few months back or Love Island

couldn't they get one with actual experience, she seems like she's just out of college and she'd fit in with the work experience students who are permanently -offended on the Journal...she's going to be screwed for bits after tomorrow since its the Love Island finale tonight

I've a feeling they'll try to poach someone with experience once Matt goes rather than give it to her as she's quite poor....how are the ratings as she's covering him quite a lot lately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

she sounds out of her depth when she tries to put a sjw/feminist slant onto things or when the topics aren't soft like how hot should your coffee be she did a few months back or Love Island

couldn't they get one with actual experience, she seems like she's just out of college and she'd fit in with the work experience students who are permanently -offended on the Journal...she's going to be screwed for bits after tomorrow since its the Love Island finale tonight

I've a feeling they'll try to poach someone with experience once Matt goes rather than give it to her as she's quite poor....how are the ratings as she's covering him quite a lot lately

It seems like she doesn’t want to step outside her comfort zone in what she actually wants to cover whether that’s down to personal choice or maybe just lack of experience on covering certain topics,I guess only time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Sorry if I’m been a bit cynical but I’m cracking up at Larissa over her ott gushing about Kate Bush I’d hate for a real tragedy to hit her,if she’s that emotional over Kate Bush’s birthday.....,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

The LW now sounds like I imagine current affairs if done by Instagram would.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

I was just thinking that this was the worst week for the last word ever. Rosé wine, breastfeeding and that occupation transformation crap. Yesterday had instagram account bloggers unveiled had closed down. Give me strength.

Throw in Jennifer Gannon and that girl who talks about movies (through the lens of feminism) and it will really put the tin hat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Sorry if I’m been a bit cynical but I’m cracking up at Larissa over her ott gushing about Kate Bush I’d hate for a real tragedy to hit her,if she’s that emotional over Kate Bush’s birthday.....,,

I commented on that piece on the Today FM megathread.
    She is your typical 'I am into Kate Bush to be cool and appear musically knowledgeable' type. There are so many out there.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,723 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

So... Anyone catch Ro McDermott talking about the use of dead actors' images in movies/ads?

As some of you know, I'd be in the socially liberal camp myself but it was truly amazing... gobsmacking... to listen to her turn it into a man-bashing feminazi rant. Brian Lloyd giddily agreeing with her in the background.

Any proper journalist would have challenged her on that but the days of proper journalism are long since passed.

• Advertisement

Is Cal Thomas the only non pc contributor to the show now (tuned out mostly now due to Gannon/The music one and other "offended" contributors - or have they bumped him yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So... Anyone catch Ro McDermott talking about the use of dead actors' images in movies/ads?

As some of you know, I'd be in the socially liberal camp myself but it was truly amazing... gobsmacking... to listen to her turn it into a man-bashing feminazi rant. Brian Lloyd giddily agreeing with her in the background.

Any proper journalist would have challenged her on that but the days of proper journalism are long since passed.

Its not that journalism is gone, its people are afraid to stand by their convictions and beliefs for fear of the masses not agreeing with them, and them being hounded out of a job.

Say the wrong thing now and you could find yourself unemployed very quickly if the SJWs turn against you.

God forbid someone would actually say "I don't agree with gay marriage", or "I don't think Europe should be taking so many refugees from the Middle East"....even if that is their belief. You aren't allowed to hold a belief any more, if the crowd doesn't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

NIMAN wrote:
    Its not that journalism is gone, its people are afraid to stand by their convictions and beliefs for fear of the masses not agreeing with them, and them being hounded out of a job.

NIMAN wrote:
    Say the wrong thing now and you could find yourself unemployed very quickly if the SJWs turn against you.

NIMAN wrote:
    God forbid someone would actually say "I don't agree with gay marriage", or "I don't think Europe should be taking so many refugees from the Middle East"....even if that is their belief. You aren't allowed to hold a belief any more, if the crowd doesn't agree with you.

Ya I definitely agree with the above. However, are these liberal PC SJWs really " the masses " or "the crowd"? Basically what I'm asking is do they, and their viewpoints, really represent the majority of the population? I would argue that they don't, and that they are simply the more vocal, with social media being the ideal platform to form an echo chamber and/or circlejerk for their ideals! Most people on here seem to disagree with all this PC/SJW tripe, most of the people I know (friends from rural communities, work colleagues in an urban setting) strongly dislike this current zeitgeist. Are we part of the elusive silent majority? I would think so, and believe that social media has contributed greatly to the proliferation of PC ideals.

Rant over! But that Roe McDermott one really winds me up the wrong way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Ya I definitely agree with the above. However, are these liberal PC SJWs really " the masses " or "the crowd"? Basically what I'm asking is do they, and their viewpoints, really represent the majority of the population? I would argue that they don't, and that they are simply the more vocal, with social media being the ideal platform to form an echo chamber and/or circlejerk for their ideals! Most people on here seem to disagree with all this PC/SJW tripe, most of the people I know (friends from rural communities, work colleagues in an urban setting) strongly dislike this current zeitgeist. Are we part of the elusive silent majority? I would think so, and believe that social media has contributed greatly to the proliferation of PC ideals.

Rant over! But that Roe McDermott one really winds me up the wrong way!

You're right. It is mainly the crowd on social media. But my guess is most of the journalists spend a lot of time on twitter etc and don't want to upset their followers

There is no doubt they are in the minority, but that is no comfort to the many people who have lost their jobs or had their careers ruined because 'the social media mob' turned on them.

In the past it was,

Person : "I don't think gay people should be allowed to marry"
    Everyone : "Well thats your opinion, you are entitled to hold it and most think you are wrong".

But now, "feck you, ya homophobe, how dare you say that, I don't agree with you....we are going to get a group organised to get your employer to fire you".

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

You're right. It is mainly the crowd on social media. But my guess is most of the journalists spend a lot of time on twitter etc and don't want to upset their followers

If you listened to the media at the time of the citizenship referendum you would swear that every man and woman was going to take a stand against "fascism". it was so one sided it was outrageous. Didn't work out too well though (85% approved I think). The disconnect with the general public was huge and still is.
    Media types live in an echo chamber that does not reflect the true views of by far the majority of the population. The great pity is that the politicians are caught in that circle as well and are reflecting these extreme minority views both in language and actions. Leo, stand up.
    The overall result will be an escalation of the long term decline of the traditional media as consumers find alternate outlets in order to avoid the forced fed sanctimony and propaganda that are making such shows as the Last Word all but unlistenable.

look at most of the ****e produced by indo/journal saying people are "outraged" by something on twitter and its just 3 comments they yanked froma feminist or a sjw saying theyre offended and they whip out a silly article about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

look at most of the ****e produced by indo/journal saying people are "outraged" by something on twitter and its just 3 comments they yanked froma feminist or a sjw saying theyre offended and they whip out a silly article about it

Ye hate that ****. Who cares what people on twitter think about anything?

The world now revolves on sound bites....you see them used so often now on what passes for real TV news.

Who cares what some randomer walking down the street thinks?

really, who cares about Mary Murphy of Cloyne with 20 followers and 600 pics of her cats being offended on a tv show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Lloyd just wants to review the films and that's really it. Considering he's a film reviewer that's not a bad thing.

It is funny though how nearly everything by Roe is viewed though the SJW lens first.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What other suggestion for not wanting gay people to get married is there other than the fact that it’s two gays getting married, though?

Not wanting gay people to get married is 100% homophobic, so it’s a stupid example.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Both tv reviewers agree that gay characters should only be played by gay actors.

Where the hell do they get these people?

Oddly enough Matt challenged then fairly vigorously. Maybe old un-pc Matt is back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Both tv reviewers agree that gay characters should only be played by gay actors.

Where the hell do they get these people?

Oddly enough Matt challenged then fairly vigorously. Maybe old un-pc Matt is back?

So by that logic a mammy character should only be played by an actress that is a mammy!!

Such rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its almost like.....actors....should not....act!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I won't hold my breath! He's gone too far into the abyss but would be great if he discovered a new lease of life during his time off

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I won't hold my breath! He's gone too far into the abyss but would be great if he discovered a new lease of life during his time off

One swallow a summer doth not make. He should have said that only proper TV reviewers should review TV programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

He was in Trump overload last night, making up for his few weeks off.

So now on the Last Word we have contributors last night saying only gay people can play gay characters.
    And we had Marianne McKeown on the US slot a few wks back saying that you can't be racist against white people as their in the majority and are privileged. Which Matt basically didn't challenge.

Anyone else got other new age truisms to add to that list from The Last Word?

So by that logic a mammy character should only be played by an actress that is a mammy!!

Such rubbish.

These whack jobs cry then why isn’t there a female James Bond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

jay0109 wrote: »
    He was in Trump overload last night, making up for his few weeks off.

So now on the Last Word we have contributors last night saying only gay people can play gay characters.
    And we had Marianne McKeown on the US slot a few wks back saying that you can't be racist against white people as their in the majority and are privileged. Which Matt basically didn't challenge.

Anyone else got other new age truisms to add to that list from The Last Word?

Any list of great musicians/bands/songs/albums needs kate bush and at least 50% women present to ensure it is not polluted with male bias.

Advertisement