Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

But the poster just criticised her.

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The one on now won't stop mentioning women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

And just to annoy myself further I listened to Jennifer Gannon.

She commented on some poll about TV show on a website called Lad Bible (whatever that is) and said the words "Lad Bible" like it was a piece of dogsh1t in her mouth.

She didn't like their choices cos the TV shows (Peaky Blinders and Breaking Bad) have main characters who are "lads".

NIMAN wrote: »

Is it the culture spot? Is Jennifer Gannon on?

BPKS wrote: »
    And just to annoy myself further I listened to Jennifer Gannon.

She commented on some poll about TV show on a website called Lad Bible (whatever that is) and said the words "Lad Bible" like it was a piece of dogsh1t in her mouth.

She didn't like their choices cos the TV shows (Peaky Blinders and Breaking Bad) have main characters who are "lads".

I should have known.......obvious in hindsight.

• Advertisement

Is it the culture spot? Is Jennifer Gannon on?

TV - see post above

I heard them call her Jennifer.

A dose.

I heard them call her Jennifer.

A dose.

She's a loon. I've actually come around to feeling sorry for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Enjoyed Chris Hadfield, interesting man!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Very good performance from Eoghan Murphy this evening in an extended debate on housing.
    It was for the most part a head to head between him and Jack Chambers (FF).

Poor Jack seemed to be a bit out of his depth and was regularly pulled up by both the minister and Sahurday for fairly basic inaccuracies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Eoghan Murphy can talk, there's no doubt about that. That's the least I'd expect from a privately educated Southsider.
    Alas, his performance in office speaks much better of his capabilities in the area of housing than a 10 minute slot in front of the likes of Jack and Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How old is Jennifer Gannon?
    Not old enough to remember Spitting Image in any great detail I'd suspect.

Obviously that didn't stop her giving her opinion on the original when they were discussing the reboot.

Dermot and Dave presented The Last Word for 1 day there last Wednesday or Thursday. We're in the final days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭siblers

jay0109 wrote: »
    Dermot and Dave presented The Last Word for 1 day there last Wednesday or Thursday. We're in the final days

That was a one off. They weren't covering him. Matt was on instead of Fergal Darcy

siblers wrote: »
    That was a one off. They weren't covering him. Matt was on instead of Fergal Darcy

I know that...some sort of corporate sponsored job switch for the day. But still...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cal needs to retire. Its sad what he has become at this tage. Conspiracy hardline Trump nonsense everytime with no rationality that he used to have. Just constant agreement and repeating whatever Trump says and dodging questions.

Plus he seems to have repeatedly plugging his website. Did he loose a job in America or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cal needs to retire. Its sad what he has become at this tage. Conspiracy hardline Trump nonsense everytime with no rationality that he used to have. Just constant agreement and repeating whatever Trump says and dodging questions.

Plus he seems to have repeatedly plugging his website. Did he loose a job in America or something?
    Cal is one of the few reasons I tune in to TLW anymore. His arguments with Marion (and Matt - who should be impartial :rolleyes:) can make for great radio sometimes. Nobody wants an echo chamber. Although a Republican, I wouldn't consider him completely pro-Trump, and have often heard him criticise Trump in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Cal does a superb job and demonstrates great grace under pressure, considering he's outnumbered, shouted down and interrupted at every turn.
    If Trump cured AIDS, Marion and Matt would find something wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

The way Matt behaves towards Cal in that weekly slot is nothing short of disgraceful. Is he not supposed to be the neutral(ish) one in the middle, facilitating the debate between the other two? I'm not sure why they bother bringing Cal on to offer his opinions as a counterpoint to theirs when they just shout him down. I don't agree with most of Cal's opinions but I want to hear them anyway. What is being rude to him going to achieve anyway? He's not going to turn into a Democrat or become a liberal at this stage of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Agree with the last posts, I love Cal, again I wouldn’t necessarily agree with everything he says either, but I admire the no nonsense straight talker in him. I’m not quite sure why he doesn’t tell Matt to stick his mic where the sun doesn’t shine but apparently they are great friends behind it all. Strangely enough..

He’s a very rare gem on what has become an atrocious shadow of what was a very good current affairs programme.

• Advertisement

Mario Rosenstock is also a member of TLW echo chamber when it comes to Trump.

I usually don't tune into his Sunday show as its very poor but turned on after the 12 o clock last Sunday and he introduced a piece with Karl Dieter - saying that Dieter would be on to defend Trump to some extent.

It was brilliant - a breath of fresh air for Irish radio. We heard what Trump had done well, we heard acknowledged what Trump had done poorly. After Dieter's initial points Mario hit him with some "researched" points. Mario was put back in his box when he was told that whoever did his research for him didn't do a very good job.

Thereafter Mario was firmly in his box. He tried a different tact then, saying that he decided to give his guest the time to make his points without being interrupted. When what he actually meant is that he had no idea how to counteract the arguments of the guest when he had run out joking about disinfectant etc.

It well worth seeking out the piece for a listen back.

Haven't been here in quite some time - but by the looks of it neither has anyone else 26 posts (incl. this one) since the 13th of December last, 6 of which were comments on last night's show - it also went a full 2 months without a single comment. I wonder is this reflective of an audience shift of a certain age cohort replaced by a younger, more woke demographic, or is it reflective of an actual loss in listenership?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Haven't been here inquite some time - but by the looks of it neither has anyone else 26 posts (incl. this one) since the 13th of December last, 6 of which were comments on last night's show - it also went a full 2 months without a single comment. I wonder is this reflective of an audience shift of a certain age cohort replaced by a younger, more woke demographic, or is it reflective of an actual loss in listenership?

I think the current "situation" probably has a lot to do with it. Lots of people have probably switched to talk/current affairs oriented stations, hungry for the latest news. Mairead Ronan seems more irrelevant than ever.

I think the reason is that TLW is simply an irrelevance now as a show.

It offers very little. So not much to debate about it.

Re: Cal. I do feel sorry for him too. But if anyone says he is a Trump defender all the way, they aren't regular listeners. I have often heard him slag Trump off or say he was wrong. He is definitely not a cheerleader for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Cal would be the first to say Trump is a jerk but he has been consistent in saying he likes a lot of his policies. We tend to concentrate too much on "Trump's Base" who by and large seem to be ill-educated, bigoted hicks. They alone didn't get Trump elected though. What about the section of the electorate who held their noses but put the tick beside Trump's name anyway? They were tuning out from all the "noise" that surrounds Trump and looked at their growing pay packets, the economy booming and the other stuff they liked. Maybe Covid-19 will make them think twice about who they vote for in November but it's too early to say. Cal falls into that bracket and he's just as entitled to air his opinions as the people who think Trump is an antichrist.

I think it's safe to assume that most Irish people think Trump is an appalling human being and scratch their heads as to how somebody like him got to be President. So to what audience is Matt trying to play to? We've all made up our own minds what we think of Trump. Talking over Cal just makes for poor radio, nothing more. As I said earlier, I don't agree with many of Cal's opinions but I think the least Matt and Marion could do is give him the opportunity to air them. We're all grown-ups and we can decide for ourselves what to think. How Cal keeps his cool and doesn't slam down the phone I'll never know. Their friendship behind the scenes must be a very strong one, given the way he is treated on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Tork wrote: »
    Cal would be the first to say Trump is a jerk but he has been consistent in saying he likes a lot of his policies. We tend to concentrate too much on "Trump's Base" who by and large seem to be ill-educated, bigoted hicks. They alone didn't get Trump elected though. What about the section of the electorate who held their noses but put the tick beside Trump's name anyway? They were tuning out from all the "noise" that surrounds Trump and looked at their growing pay packets, the economy booming and the other stuff they liked. Maybe Covid-19 will make them think twice about who they vote for in November but it's too early to say. Cal falls into that bracket and he's just as entitled to air his opinions as the people who think Trump is an antichrist.

I think it's safe to assume that most Irish people think Trump is an appalling human being and scratch their heads as to how somebody like him got to be President. So to what audience is Matt trying to play to? We've all made up our own minds what we think of Trump. Talking over Cal just makes for poor radio, nothing more. As I said earlier, I don't agree with many of Cal's opinions but I think the least Matt and Marion could do is give him the opportunity to air them. We're all grown-ups and we can decide for ourselves what to think. How Cal keeps his cool and doesn't slam down the phone I'll never know. Their friendship behind the scenes must be a very strong one, given the way he is treated on air.

I met Cal at the Kennedy Summer School last year in New Ross and he was very complimentary of Matt and the show. I suspect a lot of this is Matt being a ****ing eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭technocrat

The show has gone really downmarket in the last 2yrs to cater for the liberal offended types.

Just earlier he was interviewing someone that interviewed Matt Damon.. Ffs!

Funny thing at the end he tried to claim it was international news.. So much for been a serious topical debate show.

People have to remember that in America if you are a republican, you tend to stay that way and have to defend the party and its leader.

It just so happens to be Trump. It must be hard for many republicans to defend him, but they probably feel they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

technocrat wrote: »
    The show has gone really downmarket in the last 2yrs to cater for the liberal offended types.

Just earlier he was interviewing someone that interviewed Matt Damon.. Ffs!

Funny thing at the end he tried to claim it was international news.. So much for been a serious topical debate show.
    Couldn't agree more, pandering to the perpetually-offended who see themselves as arbiters of all that is good and evil. I used to be an ardent listener, but now only tune in occasionally in the hope of hearing Cal, or someone with any semblance of an alternative viewpoint.
    I think the demise can be summarised succinctly be comparing the quality of contributor. TLW has gone from the likes of Robert Fisk to the likes of Roe McDermott. Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭technocrat

Couldn't agree more, pandering to the perpetually-offended who see themselves as arbiters of all that is good and evil. I used to be an ardent listener, but now only tune in occasionally in the hope of hearing Cal, or someone with any semblance of an alternative viewpoint.
    I think the demise can be summarised succinctly be comparing the quality of contributor. TLW has gone from the likes of Robert Fisk to the likes of Roe McDermott. Enough said.

Karl Deeter does a much job when Matt is away.

He does the U.S slot particularly well been justifiably critical of both Dems & Reps.

The current host is well past the 'use by' date!

Advertisement