Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

pjohnson wrote: »
    You must have loved Brunker and the gang yesterday so.

What was that about?

I started listening to it after it had started. Is it a regular thing now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Oh don't get me started. It was like an episode of Loose Women. And when one tried to make a legitimate point - that sometimes people can be stupid when they're young and hold opinions they wouldn't when they get older - she was shot down. By a woman who then admitted she calls people out on things she disagrees with and she has lots of rows with them.

heard that all right, there seemed to be a bit of competition on getting to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The three guests format is a disaster. It has also changed from a nice end of week, lighter side of the news item into something horrible. They did not need to tinker with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The three guests format is a disaster. It has also changed from a nice end of week, lighter side of the news item into something horrible. They did not need to tinker with it.
    +1, it used be a funny look back at stories that woulsn't have been headline news and was very jovial and light.

Now it just seems issue driven and a competition to see how far down the rabbit hole each can go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah, a lot of the stories discussed are stories that are being discussed everywhere already.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    yeah, a lot of the stories discussed are stories that are being discussed everywhere already.

Or are variations of it. What was that story about the editor of the Gay Times being sacked only a variation in the Fine Gael tweeting eejit who had resigned earlier?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Wonder will Matt tackle the Al Porter situation on the show this evening? Susan Keogh was quick enough to spend a week banging on about it when filling in for matt, closer to home now its not so easy....

I would love to have seen Denis O' Briens face when the Todayfm heads told him Al Porter was a sex pest!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

said he will be talking about Al Porter in the show !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Not one word of it on Ivan yates. I imagine the Cooper stuff will include reading out a statement from management and very little discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

That was a brutal way of dealing with the topic. If Al Porter was on another station they would have destroyed his statement, instead we got a one liner about his statement. A total fudge. Thats it with me and the last word now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Not one word of it on Ivan yates. I imagine the Cooper stuff will include reading out a statement from management and very little discussion

Time line of events and read out the various statements.
    At least he did draw attention to it and to be fair his hands are probably tied on how much he can say given they are only allegations.
    Still though they were quick enough to discuss Spacey and Weinstein

• Registered Users Posts: 55,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Talk about a mountain out of a molehill. This lad has been on promoting smut and vulgarity on every show he has been involved in, and now RTE have an issue with him due to him "behaving" inappropriately when on his own time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

walshb wrote: »
    now RTE have an issue with him

I think you'll find RTE are right down the pecking order considering he doesn't even work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

walshb wrote: »
    Talk about a mountain out of a molehill. This lad has been on promoting smut and vulgarity on every show he has been involved in, and now RTE have an issue with him due to him "behaving" inappropriately when on his own time?

There is a difference between talking about stuff "in character", and actually doing it to other people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think you'll find RTE are right down the pecking order considering he doesn't even work for them.

He did a couple of years back on Republic of Telly.

donaghs wrote: »
    There is a difference between talking about stuff "in character", and actually doing it to other people.

It's all about standards. These tv stations and radio programmes have no issue with the stuff he peddles, and it is pure smut and vulgarity...

And, as far as I know the man has been charged with no offence.

ThisRegard wrote: »

I never said he worked for RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

whiterebel wrote: »
    He did a couple of years back on Republic of Telly.
    And the Colm Hayes Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

very soft interview with that Hallowa chap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

neris wrote: »

Sound surprised with cooper these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

neris wrote: »

What else did you expect.

I'd say Matt had a Cheerleaders uniform with IBRAHIM written on it during the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Think Matt is looking for a job in RTE or maybe a column in the IT. He has gone full libtard over the last 6 months or so. He is is following the rule book to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

quintana76 wrote: »
    Think Matt is looking for a job in RTE or maybe a column in the IT. He has gone full libtard over the last 6 months or so. He is is following the rule book to the letter.

His producer left about six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

BPKS wrote: »
    What else did you expect.

I'd say Matt had a Cheerleaders uniform with IBRAHIM written on it during the interview.

Few weeks ago on his show he claimed if you didn’t support him, your automatically racist ....

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

So if you express doubt about the half truths, evasions and downright lies of a supporter of a religo-fascist organisation you are a racist. That is quite a long stretch. That is actually the standard MSM view on this issue at the moment. Strange times indeed. I am (kind of) surprised at Cooper though.
    He seems to have hypnotised himself recently. "I must obey! I must obey! I must never question! I will conform! I will not use my own mind!"
    That at least is the non cynical view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

It was a really poor 'interview.' No questions as to why he was in Egypt, what he was doing when arrested, etc. His claim he had never heard of the Muslim brotherhood before he was arrested was not questioned. At one stage Matt said to him about the alleged tearing of his passport "I assume you didn't tear up your passport" - that's not a proper question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So Cooper was as tough in his questioning as Tubs.

How's he's slipped.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. When Halawa was released, he and Fintan O'Toole had a conversation on the show about it. When the question of why he was out in Egypt was touched upon, they just said "Ah he was just a child of 17" and shut that legitimate question down there and then. All you have to do is look on boards, The Journal.ie and other social media to see that a lot of people have genuine questions about this story. We're being ill-served by the mainstream media who refuse to ask the questions on our behalf. I thought Matt was better than that. More fool me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

How come Matt didnt present the show last night but was able to do the tonight show?

Anyone else think matt and ivan look extremely odd presenting together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

How come Matt didnt present the show last night but was able to do the tonight show?

Ya, I found that a bit strange. I think it's looking increasingly likely that Matt is going to leave The Last Word, he has a lot of other commitments these days. Even though I think the quality of the show has declined lately (mainly due to Matt's new-found PC approach to presenting) it would be a lot worse without him at the helm. Case in point: Susan Keogh. Based on recent trends, she would probably get the gig if Matt left.

Advertisement