Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAB radio on leaf

• 04-09-2016 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all,
    The only thing I don't like about my Tekna is there is no DAB radio, it's mad that such a technically advanced car has only analogue radio platforms.. I definitely don't want cable trail so an outboard one is not an option for me.

I believe the 2016 leafs have dab.. Has anybody any information on upgrading the radio to include this additional platform?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

proponent wrote: »
    Hi all,
    The only thing I don't like about my Tekna is there is no DAB radio, it's mad that such a technically advanced car has only analogue radio platforms.. I definitely don't want cable trail so an outboard one is not an option for me.

I believe the 2016 leafs have dab.. Has anybody any information on upgrading the radio to include this additional platform?

yes the 2016 has DAB, all we need now is some stations other then RTE that actually broacast it . !!!!!:(

the radio is not upgradable

I wouldn't be too concerned, DAB offers nothing of benefit. The sound quality is dirt on most of the Audio streams as low as 16 Kbps. And there are not that many areas in the country with DAB and if the signal isn't good you can't just switch to mono to reduce hiss, it either works or not. 320 Kbps should be the quality streams are broadcast at. Or at least 128-256 on DAB+.

Even most Irish Internet Radio streams are crap and sound quality on Medium or Long Wave would be better if they were not hell bent on eliminating these stations for much cheaper internet broadcast.

Where digital radio is pretty useful is on , believe it or not, Shortwave , called DRM or digital radio Mondiale. Hearing stations from across the world in almost perfect quality is simply amazing. DRM was invented to overcome most of the modern noise on Shortwave these days related to poor quality components and RF filtering, LED lights are crap for radio interference for instance.

DRM is gaining support in most places except Europe as we close our LW/MW and Shortwave transmitters and worse of all, dismantle them. Though DRM stations have greatly increased in the last year it will ensure Shortwave lives for many years to come, anyway more the point I/m making rather than a Lesson in radio is that people shouldn't be forced to use the internet to listen to the radio or suffer unnecessary crap audio quality. Finding a DRM radio in Europe is very difficult but you can receive it with an SDR receiver such as the SDRPlay with the right software, the SDRPlay is an amazing device if you're into radio, and Shortwave, Ham radio etc.

Anyway if people are interested in DAB radio be sure to purchase "Only" a DAB+ not DAB radio the + is a newer standard not compatible with DAB+ but DVB + is backward compatible with DAB , Trials off Mt.Leinster are or were in DAB+ , actually I just did a scan on my Roberts R100, no DAB at all from Mt/Leinster.

Anyway sorry about the radio ramble, it's a topic of great interest to me. lol

Advertisement