Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Abroad to Save Money

• 04-09-2016 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Folks,

My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving abroad for a year to try and save some money. She plans on going back to college next September so we are hoping to try and set up a little nest egg so to speak.

I am a mechanical engineer with 4 years experience and she is a dental nurse with 6 years experience nursing for all dental procedures.

We are thinking about looking for work in Canada, Australia or the UAE (Namely Dubai or Abu Dabi). Does anybody have any idea where we could potentially save the most cash?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

For a mech engineer in Switzerland you could expect a salary of 7k - 8k per month, so depending on how frugal you are you could put say 2k - 2.5k a month away. No idea about your girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Jim2007 wrote: »
    For a mech engineer in Switzerland you could expect a salary of 7k - 8k per month, so depending on how frugal you are you could put say 2k - 2.5k a month away. No idea about your girlfriend.

Check out the cost of living. Switzerland is pretty expensive.

Have you considered Germany? Cost of living is a bit cheaper than Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Syth wrote: »
    Jim2007 wrote: »

Check out the cost of living. Switzerland is pretty expensive.

Have you considered Germany? Cost of living is a bit cheaper than Ireland.

Switzerland is expensive, if you are not earning a Swiss salary. But putting away 2/2.5K on a 7/8k is very doable if you don't have to support a family. Here are some example budgets that can easily achieve this. (sorry it is not available in English)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pick wisely...personally, I don't think there's too many places you could move to and make money in the first year. There are so many unforseen expenses when trying to get established somewhere new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Pick wisely...personally, I don't think there's too many places you could move to and make money in the first year. There are so many unforseen expenses when trying to get established somewhere new.
    I moved with my family to another European country this year, and we basically needed 12k by the time we were finished with moving.
    Apartment deposit of 2 months rent & the first months rent 6k
    Moving company 3k
    Hitting IKEA for the essentials 2k
    Flights & car hire with all the extra luggage for day 1 things for a family of 3: 1k
    we'll get 4k deposit back on the apartment...but incur a lot of the other costs on the return
    if you can get an employer to fund part of it, that might be a good way to defray costs.

Also, with the best of respect, moving to save money may not be the best motivation to moving...you may not have a good experience if your only objective is to get back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

A year is very short time, no matter how frugal you are moving and getting set up costs money. Speaking as someone 6 years into a two year plan, for a year you probably be better off staying at home.

Re moving to the UAE, its a very tough job market at the moment, its worth looking at, but i would definitely say it would be hard to save for the first few months at least unless you have nest egg you can/would spend to get set up. Relocation packages would only be given for C level positions and they would expect you to stay for longer than a year. Check out the Irish Business network dubai fb page for job alerts.

Advertisement