Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with door/floor clearance- what should I do?

Options
  • 04-09-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

Anyone have an issue with the clearance on the doors when flooring has been put in? Did the flooring provider trim the doors, is it something for us to arrange or could we go back to the builder?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moved to a thread of its own- when you tag it onto someone else's thread which is discussing a survey on an older house- it just causes confusion- please start your own thread- if you have a specific query you would like people to address.

gitsy606 wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone have an issue with the clearance on the doors when flooring has been put in? Did the flooring provider trim the doors, is it something for us to arrange or could we go back to the builder?

It really depends on whether its a new build and its on the snag list or not- if the builder has moved on- and it wasn't on your snag list- its a bit evil to bring it up again out of the blue weeks or months after the fact. If the builder is still on-site- go for it- its the sort of thing that he can remedy relatively quickly- simply involves taking the doors down, planing the bottom where its sticking and rehanging the door. Its the sort of thing you'd do in a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gitsy606

It really depends on whether its a new build and its on the snag list or not- if the builder has moved on- and it wasn't on your snag list- its a bit evil to bring it up again out of the blue weeks or months after the fact. If the builder is still on-site- go for it- its the sort of thing that he can remedy relatively quickly- simply involves taking the doors down, planing the bottom where its sticking and rehanging the door. Its the sort of thing you'd do in a half hour.

Hi

I put it in the parkedge thread because we were discussing belltree also, sorry if it was incorrect.

It's not the it is sticking , the floors have not be laid yet but in the kitchen the door will not open with a tile down and the same in the sitting room with the wood floor.

I'll contact the builder Monday, I'm sure it's not the first time he'd have gotten a call on this.

Hi

I put it in the parkedge thread because we were discussing belltree also, sorry if it was incorrect.

It's not the it is sticking , the floors have not be laid yet but in the kitchen the door will not open with a tile down and the same in the sitting room with the wood floor.

I'll contact the builder Monday, I'm sure it's not the first time he'd have gotten a call on this.

The doors wouldn't normally be hung before the floor is laid- for this precise reason. Remedy is exactly the same though- cut, plane and sand the door to fit. Might take slightly longer if you have to cut them to size as well- but nothing much- you could do a couple of doors inside an hour no probs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is a home owner issue. Once you Kay your flooring you get the guy or another guy to plane the bottom of the doors to suit.

Of the builder is still on site, which he is in Belltree then a friendly call to him might sort it free of charge.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    This is a home owner issue. Once you Kay your flooring you get the guy or another guy to plane the bottom of the doors to suit.

Of the builder is still on site, which he is in Belltree then a friendly call to him might sort it free of charge.

Yeah I'll give him a call and see what he says.

The problem is the clearance is so small the flooring wouldn't be able to be fitted the way it is

Measured them , they range from 4mm to 17mm which seems off

Yeah I'll give him a call and see what he says.

The problem is the clearance is so small the flooring wouldn't be able to be fitted the way it is

Measured them , they range from 4mm to 17mm which seems off

2 storey or 3 storey house?

kceire wrote: »
    2 storey or 3 storey house?

E type 3 storey

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

When the flooring is being fitted just ask the carpenter to trim the doors as part of the deal, if the builder says no first of course.

It's not a big job at all, he'd have 5 or 6 doors cut in an hour, if he's a good carpenter he might even do it without you asking.

When the flooring is being fitted just ask the carpenter to trim the doors as part of the deal, if the builder says no first of course.

It's not a big job at all, he'd have 5 or 6 doors cut in an hour, if he's a good carpenter he might even do it without you asking.

Floor place said they can't touch them because they are fire doors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

Ah... You didn't mention they were fire doors, it now becomes an insurance issue, I understand why the floor provider doesn't want to touch them now.

Better ask the builder so, he should do it for you I'd be surprised if he didn't, but if he says no then get a quote from a reputable carpenter who can invoice you to do this works.

E type 3 storey
    Ah... You didn't mention they were fire doors, it now becomes an insurance issue, I understand why the floor provider doesn't want to touch them now.

Better ask the builder so, he should do it for you I'd be surprised if he didn't, but if he says no then get a quote from a reputable carpenter who can invoice you to do this works.

This is exactly why I asked you if they it was a 2 storey or 3 storey. The tolerance around a fire door is generally 5mm, except at the bottom, where it can be increased to 20mm (obvious as its the last place smoke will escape, and by the time smoke fills the room to that depth, there is no hope for life anyway within the room).

I think this may be something the builder should look at, as he should have allowed for flooring but the Fire doors can be trimmed down at the base no problem. You may find that no company will do it, so you may have to get a local carpenter/handyman to do it for you.

Advertisement