Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat rash - crusty lesions

• 04-09-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Has anyone ever encountered this...

Loki has a bad rash on her tummy, about six large crusty lesions beneath her coat with no hair loss. First appeared about three weeks ago. We've had two vet visits so far and two courses of antibiotic treatment as the area was warm and indicated a possible infection. Vet has ruled out parasites and there has been no spread beyond the original area or two the other cats. She isn't scratching or licking at the area but it does seem sensitive as she cries when we apply her treatment.

We can't think of anything new in her environment and no changes to food etc. recently. She seems fine otherwise, eating, drinking and no behavioral changes.
    We are currently applying isaderm gel to the area (on vets instruction) but again no real improvement. She is due back to the vet on Tuesday but we are a bit stumped... Wondered is anyone has encounter similar thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Yeah our cat used to have this problem & it was harvest mites. Always this time of year too. I know your vet has ruled out parasites but did he take any skin samples?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Harvest mites was the vets first idea but she ruled it out early on... But she hasn't taken any skin samples yet so I'll ask about that again on Tuesday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My cats get this every single summer, from about June-July til the end of September. Crusty scabs start out on the belly and spread to the base of the tail, toes, and "ear pockets". Vets have always said harvest mites or flea bite allergy, they have never had fleas but what she said was they don't have to have them, it can just take one bite from a passing by flea to cause this immune response. Usually we treated with steroids and wearing the cone of shame for a week to break the itch-lick cycle, but this year I'm playing it by ear and seeing how it goes, so far so good - none have gotten to the hot spot stage on peach or cream. I'm using a skin and coat supplement in their food this year which also seems to be a great help!

My terrier was a bit out of sorts last week so I gave him a look over and found a rash matching your description. Took him to the vet and she wasn't 100% certain of the cause but gave him antibiotics and steroids. It's pretty much gone now. I wonder will this be a yearly thing so? I Googled harvest mite rash after seeing this thread and I'm certain thats what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My cat had this scabby-ness without any hair loss, and it didnt seem to bother her either. Turned out to be a reaction to fleas. Ive been religious about flea treatments since, and it hasnt recurred... maybe worth having a scraping done, and is she up to date with her flea treatment?

Do keep us posted

• Advertisement

Thanks for comments, yep we are religious about flea treatments so should be okay there, I'll ask vet about that again too. Feel so sorry for her as it's very angry looking 😞. I'll update next week when we hear more and ask vet about taking a scraping.

We're religious on fleas in the summer months, I've never seen so much as a crumb of flea dirt on them, but even if they've been treated one can still jump on and bite - they just won't get infested as the flea will die because of the treatments. It sucks but it is only temporary, my guys normally would clear up towards the end of September!

Just to update! Loki went back to spend a day in the vets on Tuesday, poor girl was sedated and her tummy shaved so vet could see things clearly. He removed the scabs and could see skin was starting to heal underneath. Vet gave her an anti-inflammatory injection to the site of each Lesion and we are still applying a steroid cream. Things have stated to heal up nicely now thank goodness.
    Vet thinks she had an allergic reaction to something she came in contact with, but doesn't think it was a parasite bite, more likely something she lay in that irritated her skin. If it reoccurs they are going to run bloods etc. but for now we are just hoping it was a once off!

We're religious on fleas in the summer months, I've never seen so much as a crumb of flea dirt on them, but even if they've been treated one can still jump on and bite - they just won't get infested as the flea will die because of the treatments. It sucks but it is only temporary, my guys normally would clear up towards the end of September!

I HATE putting chemicals of any sort on any of the animals. Tux, the cat, is the only one that I put flea treatment on, as she is out in long grass (we're in the countryside), and has come home with fleas.... since then I do treat her regularly. Can I ask you if typically you stop treating your cats for fleas in the winter?? Is there a 'season' for fleas with cats (shes my first cat - a feral/rescue) and Id really prefer to not put chemicals on her all year round

aonb wrote: »
    I HATE putting chemicals of any sort on any of the animals. Tux, the cat, is the only one that I put flea treatment on, as she is out in long grass (we're in the countryside), and has come home with fleas.... since then I do treat her regularly. Can I ask you if typically you stop treating your cats for fleas in the winter?? Is there a 'season' for fleas with cats (shes my first cat - a feral/rescue) and Id really prefer to not put chemicals on her all year round

Yeah I normally wouldn't treat them from October to about May unless I see signs of ticks or anything! I have never had a flea infestation here in either cats or dogs and that's even with feral cats, foxes, wild rabbits and hedgehogs rambling about! But during the summer it's every 4 weeks on the dot and that does seem to help with harvest mites, ear mites etc (usually do every second month between frontline and advocate!)
    Usually fleas are more active in the summer months but with cats coming indoors more and more and artificial heating in houses, there isn't as much of a season anymore!

• Advertisement

Oh good, thank you for that - will try not dosing her during the winter months and see how it goes then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Just wanted to say that i had excellent, excellent results using manuka honey on a hot spot on one of our cats. I really didn't like using the steroid gel, but the manuka healed up a very severe and deep wound in only a few days. I was a bit of a sceptic, I must admit, but I used it myself on a cat scratch and it healed that up really well too!!

Advertisement