Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Craft Beer Festival 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Was it not on Saturday and Sunday last year?

T'was! I was there the Saturday last year. Got in (and left) early though cos it got packed!
    The guys are normally generous with the samples and even rarely take tokens anyway

:confused: To be fair, I didn't have the balls to ask for a sample and always handed over a token / was asked for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

balls?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Dungarvan Brewing Co specials.
    Festival specials we'll be pouring for the weekend, alongside our regular range, are:
    Rood Boy - a 5.9% Belgian Red Ale with Maple and Bacon
    Allez Hop - a 6.2% Fruit Punch Pale Ale
    Dark and Mild - a 3.8% Mild (on cask)
    Also, we'll be shaking up some Beerinis at the bar - Blackberry Rock, Vanilla Stoutini and Chili, Lime, Lemongrass Beerini 🍸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

balls?

Yeah, the confidence. I mean, I'd like a sample but I'm afraid it would come out too disingenuous. Like, "giz a sample there bud...", or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have two tickets for tonight to give away, first to reply gets them.
    i won them but due to an unexpected work trip out of Dublin I won't be able to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I have two tickets for tonight to give away, first to reply gets them.
    i won them but due to an unexpected work trip out of Dublin I won't be able to make it.
    Reply.....

me_irl wrote: »
    Yeah, the confidence. I mean, I'd like a sample but I'm afraid it would come out too disingenuous. Like, "giz a sample there bud...", or something!

they honestly don't care, just walk up and say "can I try that please", they will give you some. Just don't take the mick at the same stall all night

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Reply.....

PM me your email address and I will send them on.

Just don't take the mick at the same stall all night

Just on this point, I'm reminded of last year when it went around that if one was to approach the McGargles/Rye River stall and a certain person was on duty, then all one needed to do to receive copious free samples was to begin to slate the branding, marketing and core range of beers.

Had great fun with that one.

• Advertisement

plastic glasses this year?

The organisers really pulling this piss on this one.

turning into a joke of a "festival" imo.

Seriously? For feck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah you're joking me?
    So €15 in on Saturday with nothing to show for it, and €3 for a half. It's getting harder and harder to justify at this stage.

I'm really sitting on the fence for this one.

I've already my tickets bought, unfortunately.

Also, my wife really wants to go, and we've gotten rid of the small one for the day and night.

I think I'll go in early on Saturday, do the rounds of the specials then feck off to a GBB bar for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

PM me your email address and I will send them on.

Darn! Was planning on heading after work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Veloce wrote: »
    Darn! Was planning on heading after work!

I have a spare ticket if you want it .

• Advertisement

You sure? Website claims there is a free souvenir glass or cup included.

https://irishcraftbeerfestival.squarespace.com/buy-tickets

irish_goat wrote: »
    You sure? Website claims there is a free souvenir glass or cup included.

https://irishcraftbeerfestival.squarespace.com/buy-tickets

Well the "cup" bit would cover that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

cHaTbOx wrote: »
    I have a spare ticket if you want it .

Would love this if it's still going? been humming and hawing myself all week about going as I love it and have been the past 2/3 years but with ticket price and the increase in token price I had pretty much decided to leave it. Would justify it with free admission and the fact it's a school night though cos I'd behave myself :pac:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well the "cup" bit would cover that statement.

Yeah that bit worries me. Bit of a brass neck if they're claiming a plastic cup is a souvenir.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Would love this if it's still going? been humming and hawing myself all week about going as I love it and have been the past 2/3 years but with ticket price and the increase in token price I had pretty much decided to leave it. Would justify it with free admission and the fact it's a school night though cos I'd behave myself :pac:

That's sound :) I'll send you a pm .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Any basis for that claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If it is plastic is it the same kind as at the alltech. They aren't the worst but are nowhere near as nice as glass ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Any basis for that claim?

Wicklow Wolf Brewing put up a recent picture on Facebook and people seem to be holding plastic cups.

madfcuker wrote: »
    Wicklow Wolf Brewing put up a recent picture on Facebook and people seem to be holding plastic cups.

Very hard to tell from that picture. They do seem to be frosted so are likely plastic but it's blurry and there is no close up

Photo on Toby's Cider looks like hard plastic cups.

spose we'll know at 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That's very disappointing to put it mildly. Would give it a miss altogether if I hadn't already bought my tickets and made plans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

They advertised the event using these, so I'll be expecting nothing less :-)

Could do an Alan Partridge on it and rock up with yer own larger plate / glass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Could do an Alan Partridge on it and rock up with yer own larger plate / glass

Was just thinking that, but my half pint one or full? ;-)

• Advertisement

Anyone wants a free ticket for tonight gimme a shout, mate just pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

An overly heavy backpack stowage at the one in March broke my glass afterwards, but between that and the plastic that'll never seen the light of day again I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

I should make it in on Saturday but the spiralling costs and having to go out with work tomorrow night are making me reconsider.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Anyone wants a free ticket for tonight gimme a shout, mate just pulled out.

bus strike, dammit

Yeah, definitely plastic.

Cr2G3ODWcAAREdf.jpg

bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats a nice design and all...but beer from a plastic cup just isn't the same. Doesn't taste half as nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Disappointing if they don't have glasses.

Sad I know but I like to look at the colour of beer. I think its a part of the tasting.

Won't be taking a plastic one home either.

White hag - white sow through coffee beans is amazing .

Kinegar - high glen sour is excellent

O haras cherry sour is awful and grapefruit IPA is so acidic but leann foileann cask aged is quite nice

There seems to be a nice flow to it all at the moment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Elf and Safety init (load of balls)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

White hag - white sow through coffee beans is amazing .

Kinegar - high glen sour is excellent

O haras cherry sour is awful and grapefruit IPA is so acidic but leann foileann cask aged is quite nice

There seems to be a nice flow to it all at the moment .

Lovely, came on looking for recommendations. I think the cherry sour from independent is quite nice, though I'm fairly new to the sour game.

The experimental brew from the foxes rock lads is gorgeous, bourbon barrel aged chocolate stout.

But even better is the whiskey barrel aged Imperial Irish coffee stout from beaky dargle. 10% though.

East coast IPA from Trouble is yum. Aroma is unreal.

Girlfriend was very fond of Finn's Pale Ale from Reel Deel. She's a Mayo girl so there might be a bit of bias. It was very drinkable though.

Nice n relaxed but a good buzz today.

Would love to hear more recommendations!

The white sow coffee rocket is just happiness in a glass. Gonna try and avoid the imperials for an hour or so, I've got work tomorrow.

ianthefox wrote: »
    Lovely, came on looking for recommendations. I think the cherry sour from independent is quite nice, though I'm fairly new to the sour game.

The experimental brew from the foxes rock lads is gorgeous, bourbon barrel aged chocolate stout.

But even better is the whiskey barrel aged Imperial Irish coffee stout from beaky dargle. 10% though.

East coast IPA from Trouble is yum. Aroma is unreal.

Girlfriend was very fond of Finn's Pale Ale from Reel Deel. She's a Mayo girl so there might be a bit of bias. It was very drinkable though.

Nice n relaxed but a good buzz today.

Would love to hear more recommendations!

Had the High Glen Sour. Yum.

Quoting myself instead of cHaTbOx. That'd be the Imperial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

What are beavertown and odells offering?

IPA from independent was good . Cherry sour was ok but maybe I am put off by o haras attempt . 8 degrees supernova DIPA is grand but the IPA galaxy is very nice . Wicklow pineapple gose has potential but I think it a little mild . Same thing with metalman raspberry chill sour . I'd say both would be lovely if we got the summers we hope for :D

• Advertisement

IPA from independent was good . Cherry sour was ok but maybe I am put off by o haras attempt . 8 degrees supernova DIPA is grand but the IPA galaxy is very nice . Wicklow pineapple gose has potential but I think it a little mild . Same thing with metalman raspberry chill sour . I'd say both would be lovely if we got the summers we hope for :D

Yeah, thought Metalman's chilli raspberry was fairly tame alright. I hear a name like that and I'm just expecting more. Had the yellowbelly Strawberry sour recently and that thing was ridiculously delicious. Feel like I'm measuring fruity sours against it now. And Metalman came up short!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Some lovely ones knocking around. Troubles East and west coast IPAs are both lovely, (love the east). Their berliner weisse is Delish also. Beavertown spresso is unreal too. Some class ones. Bottom line..... mad expensive beers in plastic cups. Pure annoying beer tokens aswell. Tiny little yokes. I look forward to this event every year, but I'm honestly disappointed this year.

slayerking wrote: »
    Some lovely ones knocking around. Troubles East and west coast IPAs are both lovely, (love the east). Their berliner weisse is Delish also. Beavertown spresso is unreal too. Some class ones. Bottom line..... mad expensive beers in plastic cups. Pure annoying beer tokens aswell. Tiny little yokes. I look forward to this event every year, but I'm honestly disappointed this year.

The beer tokens I agree with, they are annoying fiddly things

But i disagree that it's mad expensive. I get beers by halves and normally have a taste or two first so by the time I get a half for €3 I'm actually at about 2/3.
    It is more expensive than other years but if I had the same beers in a bar I would pay as much or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

matrim wrote: »

But i disagree that it's mad expensive. I get beers by halves and normally have a taste or two first so by the time I get a half for €3 I'm actually at about 2/3.
    It is more expensive than other years but if I had the same beers in a bar I would pay as much or more

Fair enough, but you don't pay an entrance fee into a bar... Or do you? (free ticket or no free ticket). I've had generous tastes aswell, which is why I mentioned the amazing breweries we have. Disguard that and all you have is mad expensive pints in plastic cups with an entrance fee.

matrim wrote: »

I suppose that's fair enough if you were there on a not so busy day, but to be wedged liked sardines, like it's become, especially on a Saturday, seems like a less enjoyable experience.

I often pay what others may see as ridiculous prices for bottled beers so I don't necessarily see the beer tokens as being too expensive. The entry fee and the "souvenir glass", along with the overcrowding is making it a really hard sell for me this year.

All that said, if it's getting so busy each year they're obviously doing something right. Maybe it's time for some competition?

• Advertisement
Advertisement