Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33 year old female first time driver

• 04-09-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I'm thinking of learning to drive. I haven't bought a car yet but will be looking at something small, less than 10 years old. Any idea what I might be looking at in insurance. Roughly...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

How long is a piece of string .... insurance companies are making it as they go along now . Number of factors size of engine the make and model, where you live , your yearly mileage what type of coverage you require even the year of a car the older it gets the more they load you . Basically shop around for the best quote

I'm a male paying 780 fully comp and I'm driving since I was 20 . I'd expect you won't have any change out of 1500 Euro plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Being a female make no difference by the way. It's the same price for men and women now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'll find a few threads on this before. Yaris gets always mentioned.
    Largely bombproof and best 1 litre engine in the market by some.
    Ins will be fairly high due to No claims bonus, but should fall off quickly in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sarah_mol

Are we talking €2000...€3000...€4000...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

pablo128 wrote:
    Being a female make no difference by the way. It's the same price for men and women now.

Supposed to be but its not, myself and my girl have the same cars, i am two years older both the same no claims and mine costs 150 more. Figure that 1!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sarah_mol wrote: »
    Are we talking €2000...€3000...€4000...

Probably two at least go online and get some quotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah Gosh, I'd say Dev is about right at €1,500. But its a guess.
    Not sure you can get an online quote without a reg no?
    Maybe stick in some one else's car as if you were buying it.

Stheno wrote: »
    Probably two at least go online and get some quotes

They all ask for car details...

Would it be less to go as a named driver on Mother or Brothers insurance? What are the pros/cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Access to boards.ie but no access to numerous insurance websites that will give you a quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Go onto carzone, find a car you like the look of and use the reg number on it.
    Also use a fake email address unless you want to be spammed forevermore.
    Once you find a reasonable (or least worst) quote you can call an agent to haggle a little bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

So put in some car details?

laotg wrote: »
    Access to boards.ie but no access to numerous insurance websites that will give you a quote?

Can you list the numerous insurance companies that give quotes before you've bought a car? That would great!!

Can you list the numerous insurance companies that give quotes before you've bought a car? That would great!!

All of them! Put in either a reg of a car you're looking at online or some let you enter details of the make and model

Holysock wrote: »
    So put in some car details?

What car details?! I haven't bought my car yet! I'm trying to figure out if I can even afford to put a car on the road before I bother investing in learning...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did you go onto Car zone as advised above?

What car details?! I haven't bought my car yet! I'm trying to figure out if I can even afford to put a car on the road before I bother investing in learning...

bought a car for the first time last year. Check carzone, carsireland etc., look at the ones in your price range then check how much it costs to insure each getting a quote using either reg or make and model. This can all be done before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Kev1001

Go on autotrader.ie or donedeal.ie, find examples of the range of car you will be willing to buy.
    From the pictures of the cars (from people selling, most garages blur the number plate) get the number plate.
    Use this when filling out online motor insurance data - you give you a good estimate of cost.

It will be a lot less if you can go as a named driver.
    Will also be lot less if you have been a named driver on a policy in the past year and can provide evidence of this.

It might be an idea to go as a named driver for a year, and then get your own policy - if you can wait.
    Or even insure the car in your mothers name, and then add yourself as a named driver a few months later [you will need to have the car in your mothers name to do this].

I recently purchased my first policy in my own name.
    The cost was insane.
    I made a number of mistakes (the biggest being that I was insured as a named driver up until December last year, but let insurance go as I wasn't driving the car).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm a 37 year old learner driver with a 14 year old <1ltr car, who was never a named driver on anyone else's policy. I'm paying €1750 for comprehensive insurance with Its4women. I had no option from any company for 3rd party, fire and theft. It could have been a little cheaper but I decided to pay extra for breakdown cover, windscreen cover, etc. Your living situation will also impact the price, my insurance would have been €150 more expensive if I lived around the corner from where I do now and more again if I didn't have a driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

raypallas wrote: »
    Supposed to be but its not, myself and my girl have the same cars, i am two years older both the same no claims and mine costs 150 more. Figure that 1!

Do you both have the same occupation? If you do, get on to the insurance ombudsman. That's not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

sarah_mol wrote:
    Would it be less to go as a named driver on Mother or Brothers insurance? What are the pros/cons?

2 choices

1st Buy a small run around and insure it in your own name . Your NCB will be building up .It ll be more expensive you have running costs to factor in What you have to remember is the cops are strict about learner drivers driving unaccompanied in cars without a full licensed driver these days back in day we all drove unaccompanied on provisional licenses feck I'd of never worked if I hadn't done that ... So for your outlay of having your own car and own policy you can't use it unless someone is always with you for me it's a no brainer. I'd be talking nicely to the mammy:)

2nd choice go on your mothers policy pay the extra bit or pay it all for the mother of she gives you the privilege of using car and policy . It'll save you car ownership costs, I'd be using extra money for prep work work for the test . Once you have license and a few year under your belt get your own car and your own policy . You will have a lower ncb this way though ...

It's like I said before the costs depends on a number of factors unique to your situation . No one will know until you go price a policy go look up insurance quotes on line and see what they quote u for ....

Your age is a good factor :) Your no longer a young one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

OP I took out my first insurance last year in my own name. I had named driver experience but it counted for nothing as it was expired.

I was 26, learner permit, 2005 Ford Fiesta 1.25 and the cheapest quote (unless I wanted a box that tracked my driving!) was €1600 with AA. So it will probably be something like that. Make sure to add two experienced drivers as named drives to bring it down.

Do your test ASAP. I did mine within 6 months and got a refund of a couple hundred euro. My insurance is now €980 for this year, that's with my learner driver boyfriend added.

Advertisement