Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaming of Them

Options
  • 04-09-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

My Dad died about two years ago and I regularly dream of him. He died horribly and very slowly through alcoholism/depression.

Last night I dreamed that he had unburied himself and was very happy. We were all having a party and it was so nice getting to hug him and see him smile. We were all talking about how great it was that he was back and how no one was going to believe what had happened.

How often do you dream of your deceased loved ones? Mine vary from nice ones, like the above, or horrible ones where I am reliving the trauma of him slowly killing himself. Even if they are happy dreams, I still feel quite sad when I wake up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i used to dream about my mom a lot after she died. the dream would be just something normal and everyday nothing upsetting.
    don't think i've dreamt about my dad but he is dead a very long time.

it's nice to have a happy dream so i can unerstand how you'd feel sad when you wake.

take care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

After my gran died from dementia I had dreams on and off for over a year. Some mundane, some more like nightmares. In some she was not just back but also having a "good" day (there weren't too many of those by the end). I think the circumstances made the dreams stranger. It was horrible to see her suffer and a relief when she died, but with not a proper goodbye and she wasn't there any more at all, so I guess this is how my brain came to terms with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

My Grandfather (step-Grandfather not, that it really matters) died when I was a teenager. I got married when I was 31. About a week before our wedding I had the most vivid dream about him, and it was very much him telling me how happy he was and how my husband to be was perfect for me.

I wasn't that close to him in real life, even though he was always there since before I was born, but, I woke up after that dream with the strangest feeling and with tears running down my face. It was very strange, but, nice as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

My mum died a few months ago and I have had a couple of dreams with her in them. Her sister had died a few years previous and was very good to us and I have dreamt of both of them together which is great as I believe they are happy together. I have had the odd disturbing dream that my baby sons grave was dug up. That was horrendous. But for the most part the dreams of deceased relatives are good ones where they are all happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

The week after my Dad died I dreamed about him every night and he was alive in the dreams, so I was counting down the hours in the day til I fell asleep coz I knew I'd 'see' him once I was asleep. But unfortunately that stopped after about a fortnight. Now I rarely dream of him alive but when I do it's so brilliant. The rare time I dream of him now - in the dream I know it's a dream and that it's a rare and precious chance to be around him so I just sit there and savour the moment of 'seeing' him and I hate waking up from those dreams. I wish it happened more often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

danslevent wrote: »
    My Dad died about two years ago and I regularly dream of him. He died horribly and very slowly through alcoholism/depression.

Last night I dreamed that he had unburied himself and was very happy. We were all having a party and it was so nice getting to hug him and see him smile. We were all talking about how great it was that he was back and how no one was going to believe what had happened.

How often do you dream of your deceased loved ones? Mine vary from nice ones, like the above, or horrible ones where I am reliving the trauma of him slowly killing himself. Even if they are happy dreams, I still feel quite sad when I wake up.

Don't pop in here too often so only seeing this now...My own LateLovingDad would be gone from us 3-years this Christmas.

At the beginning the dreams were regular, then faded out.
    I even started a thread on mine here , some months after Dad passed away.

Every now and again though Dad does appeark. Normally when it happens now something is about to happen IRL and this most recent time my Mom (who has hated me her entire life) was upto no good again (though I'm not supposed to know).
    It's formed a pattern of sorts these dreams, appearing before RL-issue of sorts.
    I didn't report some things my Mom done and not long after, in the dream my LateLovingDad was hugging me (saying Thanks!)

Rare now, but as I said, they still happen (coming up to 3-years this Christmas).

Thinking of You,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I dream of my mother from time to time, sometimes it feels so real then I wake up to realise she's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've had one dream with my dad in it since he died after taking his own life last summer 2015. It was in January just after Christmas when I was really stressed with exams and coping with everything that had happened.

In the dream I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen to get a glass of water. I filled my glass and turned around and there he was standing at the cooker and prodding the potatoes as he would do with a knife to see if they were cooked. He turned around and said hello to me. At this point I started bawling and collapsed to my knees with my hands over my face in a type of 'Oh my god' moment. I then got up gave him a hug something I never did when he was alive. He just said to me 'I'm ok' and looked so happy with a smile on his face. And then I woke up and cried my eyes out for hours.

I was so aware in the dream that he was dead in real life. It really gave me comfort though as he went in really unhappy circumstances. Amazing experience and everything was so vivid. Will never forget it as long as I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My Dad died two years ago in December and I think Ive had two dreams since he went. I think I would like to have more dreams of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

My own lovely mammy is dead 10 years next year. I used to dream about her a lot in the early years after her death but not so much anymore. I have found though that in times in my life where I'm struggling, I'll have a little dream about her, which is quite comforting. I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I've never had 'bad' dreams about her. Or if I have, I don't remember them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Good thread idea OP.

Can be a nice thing; like having the person back in your life if just for the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Stopped Clock

I had my second dream with mum in it the other night. It was a weird dream and I can't remember much about it now.

The first one was about 2 months ago. I don't remember much in it either other than what she was wearing and that I annoyed her by not doing something. That happened a lot when I was a teenager and I must have driven her half demented. Anyway at the end of the dream she burst into my room to give out to me and then I woke up. When I woke up I clenched my fist in a yesssssss! Mum died from Alzheimer's disease so I was so happy to get the old her back. It sounds weird but I really treasure that dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Freaky dream about my dad last night. We were in the funeral home and I noticed his head move slightly. Next thing he was alive and everyone was fussing over him and he was asking for tea. All I was thinking was how he could open his mouth as it was glued and how, after being embalmed, could he be alive again. The coffin was wheeled out of the room and people were delighted but I didn't know how I felt about it. I was glad when I woke up from that I can tell you!!

Advertisement