Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culture Night Limerick - 16th September 2016

• 04-09-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

Culture Night in Limerick, in my opinion, is the best night of the year as it showcases all the good stuff that is going on in the city on one night. It's on Friday 16th Septmber this year between 4 and around 10pm.

I think it would be great if something like this could be organised once a month, especially in the summer months, and it would really put the city on the map.

Culture Night Limerick - 16th September

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Without a doubt the best night in Limerick. I went on the Paul Tarpey street art tour last year. I see it's on again this year and would really highly recommend it.

I'm going to start off with the medieval walking tour of the walls of Limerick, then head into Narrative 4 just to see what they are about. I'll also head along to The Limerick Lady gig in The Lucky Lane. Also, going to pop into Headway's exhibition on Steamboat Quay. I think it's great to see a disability organisation involved in culture night. As we have seen from the failed 2020 bid, disability (and other) groups are so often excluded from cultural activities in Limerick which really is at a huge detriment to Limerick's cultural experience.

Roll on the 16th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bumping this because it's just two nights away

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brad Pitt Light Orchestra singing as Gaeilge in Mary Immaculate College should be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I went to 5 different venues in Friday night to see visual arts that were on display and must admit I was a bit disappointed. Didn't see any performing arts so can't comment on that. Don't get me wrong, well done to those who showcased their work, but it just felt like there could have been more and a greater variety. Just wondered what others thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Went to King Johns Castle (it's not great is it?) and The Freemasons Lodge which was interesting.

Overall thought the events on offer was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

there was lots on but i have to say the only thing that interested me was the vintage car display on in town - and thats because we knew some of the exhibitors.

im sure others found lots of the things on interesting. its a good night and great that its free.

I only got to one event (on the street outside Canteen on Mallow Street), but it was very good. Some UL architecture students were presenting ideas on what could be done to improve the city's streets. There was a panel consisting of two winners of the RIAI people's choice award (Giulia Valone and Simon Wall) and the Director of Services for Economic Planning in the Council (Pat Daly) critiquing the work.

Went downtown then and there seemed to be a great buzz around, but I was too late to see anything else. I really think something like this, if held once a month in the summer months, would be a huge driver for tourism in the city.

I can't believe people thought there wasn't much on offer :confused: There was actually too much to do. I only got to see a quarter of what I actually wanted to see. What other events would people have liked to see?

I also ended up in the Freemasons Lodge which was mad and totally like this:
    homer-the-great-stone-cutters-freemasons-illuminati_9_thumb_zpsw0ynrmcj.jpg

I still didn't find out exactly what they do there though? It intrigues me greatly that this mad place exists in Limerick and I have no idea what the point of them is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The Freemasons tour is a great one...along with the walls of Limerick tour, the opera in the hunt, are the ones I would always recommend, I meant to get the tour of St Johns Cathedral but didn't make it...you have to have a plan and stick to it or the night will pass you by, if you are dipping in and out of different events you won't get much from the night...

The few food stands around Bedford Row/O'Coneel St junction were a welcome addition I thought, altho the weather helped it was a beautiful evening...

I have to agree with Zulutango....this could actually either become much bigger, or much more regular....it really is a great initiative....

Open House weekend is up next...

The few food stands around Bedford Row/O'Coneel St junction were a welcome addition I thought, altho the weather helped it was a beautiful evening...

Wasn't the garden type thing on Bedford Row with all the decking chairs just lovely? Wish that was a permanent fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

panda100 wrote: »
    I can't believe people thought there wasn't much on offer :confused: There was actually too much to do. I only got to see a quarter of what I actually wanted to see. What other events would people have liked to see?

Just to clarify, when I said there could have been more and greater variety, I really meant that each exhibition could have shown more. But there was no lack of exhibitions!
    panda100 wrote: »
    I also ended up in the Freemasons Lodge.....

Aw, wish I'd thought of that!

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Just to clarify, when I said there could have been more and greater variety, I really meant that each exhibition could have shown more. But there was no lack of exhibitions!

I see what you mean. There was a lot of spaces open but not much inside to look at or do. I went into Narrative 4 in the hopes of hearing or seeing a small bit about what their about but there was just a few people standing around chatting, so I just walked out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Went to Freemasons Lodge, Bishops Palace, Widows Alms Cottages and then St Marys Cathedral. There was something going on in the cathedral so we couldn't walk around (so the man waving his crutch told us). Headed into the Locke for a meal after that. A really good night, have made a few notes for next year on things I didn't see this year or last. A good night and well done to all involved.

I have to agree with Zulutango.....

I'm not sure how to take that! :pac:

Advertisement