Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rahoon Cemetery:does anyone know

Options
  • 04-09-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

when it is expected to be full?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The council will have a projected date. But I suspect they're keeping it quiet to protect their interests in land negotiations for a replacement cemetery.

A wild-card in the discussion is how how much different the new crematorium makes to the burial rate. http://www.ballinasloe.ie/news/first-ever-crematorium-in-the-west-of-ireland-to-be-in-ballinasloe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The council will have a projected date. But I suspect they're keeping it quiet to protect their interests in land negotiations for a replacement cemetery.

A wild-card in the discussion is how how much different the new crematorium makes to the burial rate. http://www.ballinasloe.ie/news/first-ever-crematorium-in-the-west-of-ireland-to-be-in-ballinasloe

I am sure these negotiations are ongoing. Judging by the rate that area is being taken it will not be too long before it is full. I don't know the rate of cremations in Ireland but in England it is much higher than I had thought. Having to go to Dublin from Galway for a cremation would be one factor in choosing a traditional burial. I would expect a heavy enough use of the new facility in Bsloe as and when it opens.

It is a pity that it took over 50 years (maybe, I don't know) for the council to enforce a planned, structured cemetery whereby you can walk around the graves and see them properly without stepping and stumbling over. The old part is inaccessible to wheelchair users.

I have to say however that Rahoon cemetery is always very well maintained and presented including a lovely quote from Mr James Joyce beside the entrance.

Advertisement