Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydraulic road bike brakes leaking mineral oil

Options
  • 04-09-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

When I press my front brake - oil is leaking from the hose at a connector / joiner on the hose, I've never had hydraulic brakes before just rim brake so not sure what to do here. I've read that mineral oil does not damage the paint on the frame but I've washed it off with soap and water and polished the frame then.

BRAKES are SHIMANO BR-RS805 and the bike is just 2 days old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Take it back to the shop you bought it from and get them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Inquitus wrote: »
    Take it back to the shop you bought it from and get them to fix it.

This! With it being so new the onus has to be on the shop you bought from to make sure it is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Shop was Canyon Germany - I've mailed them last night so should hear back tomorrow.
    I've 30 days to return the bike so I'm tempted to do that and order another as the front disc is also running and I've tried the recommended things of loosing then caliper , holding in the brake and tightening them up and still the same, then I tried taking out the pads and pushing in the Pistons but they seemed to be near fully in and still running.

The curse of online shopping - what to do when it goes wrong. Hopefully they get you sorted, though you would be within your rights to send it back!

I think they might offer for me to get it fixed locally and they will refund me but I'm sort of hoping they will just take it back and send me a new one as they have them in stock now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I presume you mean 'rubbing', not 'running'. The front disc on my bike was also rubbing, not enough to slow me down but enough to stop the wheel after a few rotations if I lifted it off the ground to test. So I just loosened the two allen heads holding the caliper to the fork, pulled the brake to centralise the mechanism and tightened it again (while still pulling the brake lever). Worked a treat, I should have done it some time ago.

youtheman wrote: »
    I presume you mean 'rubbing', not 'running'. The front disc on my bike was also rubbing, not enough to slow me down but enough to stop the wheel after a few rotations if I lifted it off the ground to test. So I just loosened the two allen heads holding the caliper to the fork, pulled the brake to centralise the mechanism and tightened it again (while still pulling the brake lever). Worked a treat, I should have done it some time ago.

I tied that with mine and still rubbing, then tried removing the pads and pushing in the Pistons and still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I'd send it back so. When you think of it your brakes and steering are the two most important element's on your bike. Any problems with these are the results can be disastrous. If I was a bike manufacturer and I thought that a new bike was dispatched with 'dodgy' brakes then I'd want it out of circulation ASAP.

Im thinking the same , Im waiting on a mail back form them now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'd be looking at getting it sorted locally and then getting compensation from Canyon. Way too much hassle sending a bike back to them for a leaking hose connection. I'm currently fitting hydraulic brakes on one of my bikes and that connector looks like the connection for pre-bled hoses. I don't have any advice on the connection as my system doesn't use them. With the system leaking there's not much point in trying to sort out rubbing discs and pads as things won't be working exactly as they should be.
    Hope Canyon come back to you with a reasonable solution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd be looking at getting it sorted locally and then getting compensation from Canyon.
    i'd do nothing till talking to them first. why would they stand over any work done by a third party?

i'd do nothing till talking to them first. why would they stand over any work done by a third party?

Of course, I meant after getting word back from Canyon that they would honor such a repair cost.

Canyon are going to swap the bike for a new one, said they have my size in stock and will be the quickest option.

That's good to hear. Enjoy the new steed!

jamesd wrote: »
    Canyon are going to swap the bike for a new one, said they have my size in stock and will be the quickest option.

Wow. That's some result. Can I ask if they said how they'll handle getting the current bike back to them?

Wow. That's some result. Can I ask if they said how they'll handle getting the current bike back to them?

They want me to pack it back into the box it came in and then they will get a courier to collect it from me at my house/work place and ship it back to them.

I said to them what youtheman said about the brakes being so important and that I felt lucky i noticed this and didnt go out on the bike sunday as planned for its first spin so the guy said im within 30 days and have 2 options
    1) They take it back and fix it or 2) They take it back and send me a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

If the oil gets on the rotor, then you're probably looking at new pads.

Advertisement