Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver claiming I hit her car

Options
  • 04-09-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I was in a car park today and got out of my friends to go to the shops. As I was walking over to the shop some woman who was sitting in the jeep in the car space next to where I parked started screaming telling me to get back.

I went back to her and she said to me "you hit me car" I replied that I didn't hit my car door with hers and she refused to accept this and said I wasn't careful in such an aggressive manner. There was no green paint on her car so it couldn't of been me. When I open my car door I always hold my door close to my body so it doesn't swing out and hit someone else's car and I definitely knew it hadn't hit hers. She then asked to get my insuranc details. She went over to my car and took a picture of my insurance disc and she said she'll be ringing them. I offered to get it fixed for her I'll pay but she said no and kept going on about insurance. She took down my phone number and said she'd be in contact but I a ever thought to get details off her or her car.

I drove off and reported it to the guards and they said I should've rang them there and then, I'm only 20 and I've never ever been in a situation like this so never thought to ring the guards.

Surely the insurance company can't do anything without the guards being involved first no? I just don't want my premium to go up.

Anyone else been in situation like this offer me advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Guards wouldn't have done anything so I've no idea why they told you to call them at the time of the incident. Inform your insurance company that someone will be making a spurious claim and unfortunately after that there's nothing you can do, when you take out a policy you give the insurance company complete control over how they handle claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Did you ask the guards if there is CCTVin the car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

You shouldn't have offered to pay, never admit liability. You are young and she seen that and took advantage of the situation.
    She should have given you her details as she got yours. I wouldn't worry about it tbh. Go back to the garda and ask them if there is cctv?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

I am just wondering did you check the mark on her door that it corresponded with your door opening. Horrible place car parks. Spaces in my opinion too tight

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You offered to pay? Bad move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Well did you do it or not? Why would you offer to pay for it if you didnt do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

http://www.insuranceconfidential.ie/Report-Suspect-Claims.html

I don't know if this will be of any help to you....Best of Luck - whatever happens regarding your insurance, I hope it works out ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Del2005 wrote: »
    Guards wouldn't have done anything so I've no idea why they told you to call them at the time of the incident. Inform your insurance company that someone will be making a spurious claim and unfortunately after that there's nothing you can do, when you take out a policy you give the insurance company complete control over how they handle claims.

Obviously If there's a dispute and civil remedy didn't work they'd have to get involved. Civil remedy didn't work here as one party disputes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

You put yourself in a very bad position by offering to pay. The best move would have been to just deny it and move your car somewhere else (if you didn't do it).

You say she was sitting in her car waiting? I wonder why? She must have been waiting for someone to park beside her so she can blame them maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don't forget, OP. There's no record of your having offered to pay outside of the lady's flawed memory.

;)

'I haven't a clue what that mad bint is talking about' is your mantra from here. Sure, if you were even there, surely you'd have taken her details, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

shietpilot wrote: »
    You put yourself in a very bad position by offering to pay. The best move would have been to just deny it and move your car somewhere else (if you didn't do it).

You say she was sitting in her car waiting? I wonder why? She must have been waiting for someone to park beside her so she can blame them maybe?

I couldn't, she was creaming abuse at me and then her husband came and was screaming saying that they only bought the car yesterday. Sure you can only see the "mark" when you actually look really close up other than that it's barely noticeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I couldn't, she was creaming abuse at me and then her husband came and was screaming saying that they only bought the car yesterday. Sure you can only see the "mark" when you actually look really close up other than that it's barely noticeable!

How would you know? You weren't there.

Did you give them any more details other than your insurance policy number? For all we know she could have walked up to a random car and took the policy number.

shietpilot wrote: »
    Did you give them any more details other than your insurance policy number? For all we know she could have walked up to a random car and took the policy number.

No I didn't all she done was take apicture of it on my windscreen

No I didn't all she done was take apicture of it on my windscreen

Ha ha ha, good luck to her. If you get a call from your insurance company just tell them she must be mad taking pictures of insurance disks and trying to claim:D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

But you say in your first post that she got your phone number too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

I think the OP is winding us up now TBH

But you say in your first post that she got your phone number too?

Yeah I just gave it to her to shut her up she never stopped screaming in my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You offered to pay? Bad move.

yes but she was under a form of duress with the aul bird yelling at her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

sounds stupid to give details and offer pay alright.
    but if it goes anywhere keep your insurance out of it,as in dont let them partake in any of the dealings,and say you weren't involved in anything and let the one get solicitor which will cost a fortune to try and pull any crap,since if theres no damage to your car,and its dent in the car doubt that even small claims court would look into such scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

I replied that I didn't hit my car door with hers
    There was no green paint on her car so it couldn't of been me.
    When I open my car door I always hold my door close to my body so it doesn't swing out and hit someone else's car and I definitely knew it hadn't hit hers.
    Sure you can only see the "mark" when you actually look really close up other than that it's barely noticeable!
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Was there anyone with you at the time ? Did you take pictures of alleged door bang basically it's her word against yours no matter she says !!! She have a hard time proving anything

You shouldn't have conversed with her at all and certainly not have given her your number. I wouldn't have even went to the guards myself as there was no accident or damage to report. As far as cops are concerned it's a civil matter. Remember you didn't hit her . Don't worry about having offered to pay. You were stressed in the heat of the moment and will say anything to diffuse the situation . Your stance from now on deny everything ....

If she does get onto your insurance Your stance is you didn't hit any car so no needs to have gotten her details . If it's anything it either be polished out or respray at most 300 to 600 and can't see an insurance going to bother with that plus hers and your excess will probably be around that amount anyway

Don't stress over this put it down to a lesson learnt. If you ever get into a situation like that again camera out take photos. Call a relative or a friend. You unfortunately picked on by 2 bullies . I'd of told her to whistle Dixie 

Actually if they only bought car yesterday they wouldn't of had a disc for windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

We're they the local scumbag type? Middle aged up there own a#$e type or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It is an unfortunate fact of life that old middle aged people may try to take advantage of inexperienced young drivers and try one on. Tips when accused of something while driving.

Give only your name address and insurance details and get their name address and insurance details. If nobody is injured and there is no dispute there is no need to involve or call the guards. If there is an injury or a dispute then you should call the guards to record and act as an impartial witness to the events. Any other people who witnessed the event should have their name and contact details taken, especially in a serious accident involving injury etc.

Never EVER admit liability or say you're sorry or give any indication of being in the wrong.....it is up to the insurance companies to adjudicate and assign liability and adjust payments and make good any damage etc... not up to the individuals involved in the accident.

In most cases the cars will be repaired by a garage approved by the insurance companies and relevant damages for injuries will be settled without recourse to the courts....not ideal but legal stuff is more expensive.

I have on one occasion repaired a fence for a person rather than let the case go to insurance and cost me my very valuable no claims bonus...most reasonable people will agree to this once the repair is good and satisfactory and timely.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

I'd be careful in denying that you were there just in case she snapped a photo of your car alongside hers when she had the camera in her hands .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So you let this woman take your details and your phone number.
    You offer to pay when you say you didn't hit their car.
    You say there is nothing on their car and then say its barely visible.
    You didn't get any of the other parties details.
    Op, would you agree that this sounds a bit bolloxology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

What's the point of op saying he wasn't there when he's already went to the guards and told them he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Also claims to be 22 in other posts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100048787

Pack of lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Did this ruin your weekend OP ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement