Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Traditions

Options
  • 04-09-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

There doesn't seem to be a much halloween activity on boards, that or my search didn't show it up. anyway ... as a lover of halloween and fall in general, I would love to know if any of ya'll have any halloween traditions .
    Apologies if there is already a post like this:-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's almost two months away!
    Halloween is very much tainted by Americanisms these days.

Apples on a string, bobbing for apples, searching for a hidden coin in a dark garden, toffee apples, money in the tart...

Edit; Fall? Y'all? I take it you are American.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Here are a few ideas from when I was younger:
    • Barmbrack - remember to put in the ring, rag, match, pea and coin (which they omitted in this recipe).
    • Use a turnip or a mangol rather than a pumpkin - it was really, really difficult to hollow these out, while the pumpkin only requires little work.
    • Removing gates was also a thing - it allowed the animals to wander from one person's land into another - not sure why but I think it had something to do witht he Tuathe De Dannann.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 yulenka4

It's almost two months away!
    Halloween is very much tainted by Americanisms these days.

Apples on a string, bobbing for apples, searching for a hidden coin in a dark garden, toffee apples, money in the tart...

Edit; Fall? Y'all? I take it you are American.

Lol I am !! decided to change it :-)
    As I am aware some people on boards seem to hate the whole fall term, thanks for your input tho , much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 yulenka4

remember to put in the ring, rag, match, pea and coin (which they omitted in this recipe).
    [*]Use a turnip or a mangol rather than a pumpkin - it was really, really difficult to hollow these out, while the pumpkin only requires little work.
    [*]Removing gates was also a thing - it allowed the animals to wander from one person's land into another - not sure why but I think it had something to do witht he Tuathe De Dannann.
    [/LIST][/quote]

A turnip really? Never heard of that, something new to try thanks , halloween doesn't seem to be very 'big' in Ireland. Is the carving a turnip an Irish tradition, thanks for your ideas

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Mod: Moved to a more appropriate forum for Halloween.

• Advertisement
Advertisement