Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUI discussion

Options
  • 04-09-2016 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

I think given the current scenario it might be useful to have a knowledge base for teachers and those who may end up teaching in TUI only schools or the TUI/ASTI schools. I'm on our union committee in school and it's been an endless line of questions through the first week back

If you are starting in an ETB school in particular you need to find out if your school is recognised as TUI only or if it is on the list of designated community colleges. There's a misconception that if you are ETB then you are TUI.

If you are in a TUI school then the LRA applies to you whether you join or not

If you are in a designated community college then you are only in the LRA if you are TUI. Both non union and ASTI members are considered outside the LRA.

Some key things if outside LRA from for whatever reason
    -CIDs revert to four years (note our ETB did not physically issue any CID contracts this summer to our school, speculation is that it was on purpose so if you don't declare union membership you won't get it)
    -No payment for S and S at the end of September 2016 and 2017
    -no protection from redployment
    -increment freeze

If inside LRA in TUI You have agreed
    -to continue S and S indefinitely with a pay scale adjustment for it
    -that the government/union will negotiate for new entrants
    -to do the new JC
    -to continue croke park hours

TUI and DES have just released a new circular in relation to part time CIDs. My reading of it is that what happened to me, where a principal refuses to increase a part time CID despite hiring another teacher of their subject will not happen in the future

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Very useful post, however, the New JC and LRA are independent of each other and JC had no monetary penalty attached to implementation. All teachers regardless of school have to teach the revised syllabi as they issue.

If inside LRA You have agreed
    -to continue S and S indefinitely with a pay scale adjustment for it
    -that the government/union will negotiate for new entrants
    -to do the new JC
    -to continue croke park hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Very useful post, however, the New JC and LRA are independent of each other and JC had no monetary penalty attached to implementation. All teachers regardless of school have to teach the revised syllabi as they issue.

Sorry I should clarify, I was under the impression that assessing the new JC is part of LRA as you agree to implement curriculum reform? Could be wrong. If so I'm happy to delete!

Edited: Just changed it to TUI as they are doing the new JC anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

-CIDs revert to four years (note our ETB did not physically issue any CID contracts this summer, speculation is that it was on purpose so if you don't declare union membership you won't get it)

Just mentioning that I received my CID (2 year) from my ETB during the summer - the day before the ASTI voted to reject the LRA (I don't know if this was a coincidence or an unusual touch of class from the powers that be). This could also be related to our school solely having TUI representation.

Notorious wrote: »
    Just mentioning that I received my CID (2 year) from my ETB during the summer - the day before the ASTI voted to reject the LRA (I don't know if this was a coincidence or an unusual touch of class from the powers that be). This could also be related to our school solely having TUI representation.

Yeah I edited above to specify in my school and I am in a mixed union school (even though we actually have no ASTI on staff)

So then you're all TUI members? In that case your ETB not have issued CID contracts, no? Or will it be a case that you'll sign a form stating your Union and CIDs will be awarded?

• Advertisement

So then you're all TUI members? In that case your ETB not have issued CID contracts, no? Or will it be a case that you'll sign a form stating your Union and CIDs will be awarded?

We are designated as mixed (even if that's not the reality in the school) so form has to be completed and our guess is that the CIDs will then be issued only to TUI members. Non members have FEMPI applied so no ward report CIDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We are designated as mixed (even if that's not the reality in the school) so form has to be completed and our guess is that the CIDs will then be issued only to TUI members. Non members have FEMPI applied so no ward report CIDs

What's the feeling on the ground regarding filling in the form and non nembers being left under FEMPI? There's a lot of upset about this in my place. Non-union members are very bitter and angry about it all. It's causing a lot of grief with lots of recriminations from both sides.

I respect their right to not join a union and think this is unfair treatment of them if they do the LRA work, but at the same time feel that not joining means they will have to fight their own battles, such as this, as they occur. But I'm not happy that we are being used to identify them with the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Everyone is doing what they need to do in our place, both unions and non union, no discussion about it really. Forms being signed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

What's the feeling on the ground regarding filling in the form and non nembers being left under FEMPI? There's a lot of upset about this in my place. Non-union members are very bitter and angry about it all. It's causing a lot of grief with lots of recriminations from both sides.

I respect their right to not join a union and think this is unfair treatment of them if they do the LRA work, but at the same time feel that not joining means they will have to fight their own battles, such as this, as they occur. But I'm not happy that we are being used to identify them with the form.
    Agree with all of this Francis Bitter Spectroscope, didn't fill in my form yet, don't reallly want to but if I'm stuck with LRA2 and doing S&S I'm the only loser by not filling it in.

Even though we are designated mixed we don't actually have any ASTI on staff so its being filled in by most and the non members are scrambling to join the TUI in time though there's a lot of people not happy about the threats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Even though we are designated mixed we don't actually have any ASTI on staff so its being filled in by most and the non members are scrambling to join the TUI in time though there's a lot of people not happy about the threats

Yes we're the same, designated mixed but only TUI in reality. But there is a lot of anger at us from non-union members over the form. They're very definite about not joining.

One person had a major issue with the form but in the end signed up because they are a young teacher (CIDs). An amazing number of people in arrears suddenly got their affairs in order... Overall it was accepted that you either join or lose out. A few wouldn't be singing the praises of the government but only that one person was very vocal

I do find that interesting thought. I'm fairly blunt in response so maybe I haven't heard the anger. My attitude is you were happy to take all the good stuff that unions fought for so tough ****, join up or take the consequences.

I have a major problem with signing it and I'm actually TUI. I don't think we should be shopping our ASTI colleagues across the country by signing it. Surely there was another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I have a major problem with signing it and I'm actually TUI. I don't think we should be shopping our ASTI colleagues across the country by signing it. Surely there was another way.

But are we shopping them? They voted to reject the LRA. These are the consequences.

Well, why don't they ask ASTI and non-union members to sign about their status, don't agree with us doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Well, why don't they ask ASTI and non-union members to sign about their status, don't agree with us doing it.

It's easier to get people to sign for something when there's a 'reward' at the end of it. Also, there are fewer teachers covered by LRA in secondary.

Getting people to sign up to not get something would never work.

My attitude is you were happy to take all the good stuff that unions fought for so tough ****, join up or take the consequences.

Excuse my ignorance, but what did the union fight for? As a relatively new teacher I can only see how I've been bent over by the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

Excuse my ignorance, but what did the union fight for? As a relatively new teacher I can only see how I've been bent over by the unions.

They fought to maintain salary scales and allowances for existing members and sold you out in the process.

xtralong wrote: »
    They fought to maintain salary scales and allowances for existing members and sold you out in the process.

Do you honestly think that our terms and conditions would be in their current state if the unions hadn't been there to stop them selling us out even more? Have you seen the salary scales for the army? They can't take industrial action.

Do I think the current ridiculous situation with salary scales and allowances is outrageous? Yes.

Do I think that there would be ANY hope of getting salaries brought up now if everyone had had their pay reduced which apparently is what people seem to think the the unions should have done "in solidarity"? No. We'd all be sitting on the lower ones

Yes there is crap to be cleaned up but despite the finances of the country falling completely apart things are resolving themselves as the unions continue to fight the government.

To list some of the recent things for new recruits
    1. The WARD report. This entitles teachers to become CID (Permanent) faster than even legislation allows for. I was seven years teaching before I got my CID. This is a massive improvement
    2. Circular 0059/16. This ensures that principals have to give hours to available staff or part time CID holders BEFORE anyone is hired in their subjects. This will eliminate a lot of the faffing around that ETBs in particular are notorious for with two or three teachers being hired for the same post.
    3. Clarification that a teacher can and should be (if appropriate) hired as a CID. In other wards if the hours are there, are going to be there indefinitely and not suitable for a part timer already in the school then the person can be hired on an immediate CID contract

The main negotiations between the government TUI and INTO at the moment is to get the qualification allowances combined into the new salary scales thus increasing them substantially using the Firefighters as the precedent. The word at the branch meeting I attended is that the combination into the scale is so that what happened the last time cannot happen again (the removal of allowances retrospectively) and that this is going to happen

Actually you know what, I'm going to take a break here for a few days. Branch meeting and 3hrs of croke park in the one week plus umpteen repeated basic questions from staff members about things they should know at this stage apparently has resulted in a very very grumpy mirrorwall....

• Advertisement

Agreed MW. I have a pain in my face from non-union members thinking it's unfair that they don't have the same 'deal' as us. I'd gladly swap my TUI hat for an ASTI one but so be it.

I'd still prefer being represented though. Don't think I'd have much negotiating rights walking in Marlborough St myself and telling them I want a better deal. I might not like all the outcomes but I presume some portion of my sub in the last 20+ years went towards the salaries of those that have brokered these circular 59, 45 etc.

The word at the branch meeting I attended is that the combination into the scale is so that what happened the last time cannot happen again (the removal of allowances retrospectively) and that this is going to happen

Interesting; so instead of an allowance we'd all get a slight pay rise? I guess this would make sense considering our NQTs are all graduating with a PME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just reading from INTO member posting in the Voice for Teachers forum about what they are getting for S&S

... €3 per week?

How are they working that out?
    For anyone thinking of leaving ASTI because the Government is threatening not to pay S&S, think again.
    I am an INTO member. We were advised repeatedly by the INTO leadership to vote yes to the LRA and so "we" did.
    INTO announced on 6/9/16 that INTO secured the first half of the cut S&S pay and it would be included in our 8/9/2016 pay.
    Guess how much I received in my pay today?
    €3.23c extra!
    That's for doing yard duty for free for several years, after it was cut, and the big fanfare of the PAY INCREASE we would get thanks to the LRA.
    It is not a pay increase, it is a tiny, tiny step towards pay restoration. We have to wait another full year to get the second half of the S&S (another €3?). Meanwhile, the Government doesn't have to wait a millisecond for me to do yard duty in all weathers instead of eating my lunch. Thanks, INTO (NOT!).
    Well done, ASTI, for seeing through the LRA lies.
    It is time that TUI and INTO members joined you in your fight for LPTs and all teachers.
    €3 is a very cheap buy out of our silence and obedience.
    Not good enough, INTO and TUI.
    Added by VFT: Here is a link to the INTO announcement and clarification - today's pay includes 5 days with the S&S. The 22nd Sept pay will "reflect the full increase" -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Just reading from INTO member posting in the Voice for Teachers forum about what they are getting for S&S

... €3 per week?

The S&S money is only payable after September 1st. I suspect today's payslip for primary teachers overlaps into August. The gross increase per week will be about €15. I know we pay a lot in tax, but not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

The S&S money is only payable after September 1st. I suspect today's payslip for primary teachers overlaps into August. The gross increase per week will be about €15. I know we pay a lot in tax, but not that much.

Its the usual hyper stuff. Facebook lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah whilst the increase is not great people should do their own sums before posting calculations like that.

Or better yet, do their sums before voting for a meagre €796 before tax.

I'd say most will be about €25 net a month better off, tops. It's not worth it but some eejits thought it was great that we were getting extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Or better yet, do their sums before voting for a meagre €796 before tax.

I'd say most will be about €25 net a month better off, tops. It's not worth it but some eejits thought it was great that we were getting extra money.

Yes but you can double it this time next year too.

Still not worth the few concessions the LRA brought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Gebgbegb wrote: »

... €3 per week?

Idiots like that shouldn't be allowed out in public. They are the same idiots that get their faces in front of the camera when the reporters are looking for a soundbite and make the rest of the teaching profession look bad.

The fortnight for pay probably only covered 1 day of the new S&S payment, I work it out to be about €15 per week.

Advertisement