Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUI discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

If the increase is €800 then it'll be about €16 gross and probably €6 net per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Idiots like that shouldn't be allowed out in public. They are the same idiots that get their faces in front of the camera when the reporters are looking for a soundbite and make the rest of the teaching profession look bad.

The fortnight for pay probably only covered 1 day of the new S&S payment, I work it out to be about €15 per week.

If one is doing S&S for €3 a day I don't think they're the only idiot .How much per hour does that work out at?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

2011abc wrote: »
    If one is doing S&S for €3 a day I don't think they're the only idiot .How much per hour does that work out at?!

You get it every week of the year, and you do 43 hours work for it, if the 15euro figure is accurate its €18 an hour, €36 an hour after full restoration.

You might as well saw it's €796 a year which is 2.18 per day! You don't do it every day though.

Edit, not saying its great money but there's no point mis-representing it either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

2011abc wrote: »

You did it for free the last two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Have people got S&S payment yet? Due to get it soon but wondering what people are getting. My payslips go to Donegal so will be weekend before I can analyse my one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Have people got S&S payment yet? Due to get it soon but wondering what people are getting. My payslips go to Donegal so will be weekend before I can analyse my one.

Yes, got paid today (GRETB). We get paid fortnightly. Am up about €12 on net pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yes, got paid today (GRETB). We get paid fortnightly. Am up about €12 on net pay.

Now that the books are balanced and the cash is in...
    If possible, would you consider foregoing that €12 to opt out of S&S, or would you be happy to continue given a choice?

Do you think the time you have worked was worth €12?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Now that the books are balanced and the cash is in...
    If possible, would you consider foregoing that €12 to opt out of S&S, or would you be happy to continue given a choice?

Do you think the time you have worked was worth €12?

I voted No to LRA, so I don't really see it as relevant. However the motion carried, so I have to go along with the majority vote. TUI teachers are getting paid for S&S and we are required to do it along with Croke Park hours. If I have to do both of those and in return for compliance they are going to give me a rise in my increment, I'm not going to refuse it.

I wasn't willing to take a cut to my basic wage a couple of years ago in order to opt out of S&S. Only one teacher in my school did.

I still believe teachers should be paid the full substitution rate for doing S&S as that is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nothing on my payslip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Nothing on my payslip

It won't be on your payslip separately. It's part of the salary scale. Salary amount should just be increased.

• Advertisement

It won't be on your payslip separately. It's part of the salary scale. Salary amount should just be increased.

Yeah that's what i mean, no difference whatsoever.

That's strange. Are you in a TUI only school? Or did you return the form if in one that's officially mixed union (even if not actually mixed in reality)?

I'm up just over €11 for the fortnight. I voted no anyway but no way do I think this is adequate compensation for S&S, certainly not in my school. I would definitely have taken the cut to opt out if possible. Around 15 teachers opted out in my school.

That's strange. Are you in a TUI only school? Or did you return the form if in one that's officially mixed union (even if not actually mixed in reality)?

I'm up just over €11 for the fortnight. I voted no anyway but no way do I think this is adequate compensation for S&S, certainly not in my school. I would definitely have taken the cut to opt out if possible. Around 15 teachers opted out in my school.

Mixed school. Forms were handed in.

Bizarre here today. Some staff didnt even get paid. Will have to get on the phone and see what's going on.

Also confusion. Some staff were expecting a lumpsum for previous work. Head melted before the day has even begun.

I voted No to LRA, so I don't really see it as relevant. However the motion carried, so I have to go along with the majority vote. TUI teachers are getting paid for S&S and we are required to do it along with Croke Park hours. If I have to do both of those and in return for compliance they are going to give me a rise in my increment, I'm not going to refuse it.

I wasn't willing to take a cut to my basic wage a couple of years ago in order to opt out of S&S. Only one teacher in my school did.

I still believe teachers should be paid the full substitution rate for doing S&S as that is what it is.

My back of the envelope calculations would see a gross payment of €37 per hour for S&S work if you delivered 43 hours starting next September. Its obviously only half that this year.

Mixed school. Forms were handed in.

Bizarre here today. Some staff didnt even get paid. Will have to get on the phone and see what's going on.

Also confusion. Some staff were expecting a lumpsum for previous work. Head melted before the day has even begun.

Same in my place with regard to the lump sum!

Same in my place with regard to the lump sum!

It's a beating some of them need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My back of the envelope calculations would see a gross payment of €37 per hour for S&S work if you delivered 43 hours starting next September. Its obviously only half that this year.

At least you worked it out. Lost count of the number of complaints I heard today about it being worth nothing and "I wouldn't have voted for it if I knew it was this little". They did know, they were given the figures and this is from people who have been doing it for free for the last 3 years!

At least you worked it out. Lost count of the number of complaints I heard today about it being worth nothing and "I wouldn't have voted for it if I knew it was this little". They did know, they were given the figures and this is from people who have been doing it for free for the last 3 years!

This is the thing. For or against you should know exactly what you were voting for.

Was there a reason so many opted out? What impact does it have on S&S in your school?

Sounds like a complete omnishambles all round. The increment is probably the least of it if some staff didn't get paid at all.

• Advertisement

yes, that is true. I don't think the S&S increment should have been split and while we are getting paid for it now, it was free with no opt out for the last few years and no one is getting that money back, and it's effectively half pay this year.

Also I'd imagine it varies wildly from school to school how much S&S people end up doing. I am down for two breaks this year, 15 minutes each. So for 33 weeks that 16.5 hours. I've only supervised one class (40 minutes) since we started back. That's grand, but I imagine there are teachers in some schools that get badly caught depending on the slots they chose.

I'd also prefer to be able to simply opt out and not get paid for not, rather than taking a pay cut from basic pay, and leave it to those on lower hours/subs who probably need the hours more than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

A lot of ETBs aren't paying up until next month.

Was there a reason so many opted out? What impact does it have on S&S in your school?

They opted out because it is abused (people given timetabled classes over their 22 hours, S&S used to cover every type of leave instead of subs) and having to deal with serious disciplinary issues is the norm. There's still around 70 teachers doing it so it's hard to know how big of an effect it has really. Most people do around 1:15 -1:30 a week and think the opt-outs are dead right - most would do the same thenselves if they had the choice.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/2k-pay-deal-for-newly-qualified-teachers-35054404.html

A very significant bump in pay coming for TUI. By January 2018 a teacher in year one to be on 37k. This will really ramp up the pressure in the ASTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm not much wiser after reading that article. What reform measures? Is this in addition to the increments?

I'm not much wiser after reading that article. What reform measures? Is this in addition to the increments?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/recently-recruited-teachers-to-get-135-000-pay-boost-1.2793630

I think the writer in the times does a better job on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

All the positive spin is turning my stomach, at the end of the day, it's still not parity and shouldn't have been allowed happen in the first place.

I really fear for the ASTI vote now. As a disillusioned TUI member I was hoping against hope that ASTI would do the business.

Advertisement