Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a Graduate Accounting Role

• 04-09-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm considering a career in accounting. I'm about to finish a masters in Financial Economics (Will achieve 2:1 or 1:1 at a push) and after briefly starting in a retail banking job (Which I've figured out after only a few weeks that I despise, and effectively boils down to nothing more than a sales role fundamentally), I've decided I want a solid role which rely's on your knowledge as opposed to your ability to sell. Problem is, I've come to this realisation at a fairly bad time of the year I think. There are essentially no roles currently being advertised with the Big 4, and I think some Tax and Audit roles being advertised with BDO and Mazars (But only on Jobbio.com, for some reason.I have emailed them to find out if these roles actually exist and are they for an immediate start.

So basically, does anyone know of any ad-hoc recruitment that takes place by the big 4/other mid tier firms happens at this time of the year?

Thanks
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Hi Op,

There does be around round(not completely sure of the time frame so just keep an eye on the sites) but at a guess its in the new year when maybe some of the new graduates drop out or they got offers rejected.

I was in a similar positions(that saying my grades went as strong as yours, but i went on to complete cap 2 on my own back but still had issues getting somewhere, This isn't to discourage you by any mean but I think its worth mentioning all the same that it may not work.

I eventually got a position n industry. it was my ideal choice and to a certain extent still isn't. BUT my priorities was to get my exams finished and have that out of the way so it made sense for me to take this role and there was likelihood was I would more to industry anyways so it was just sooner than i expected. Just food for thought.

But just keep searching the usual sites and the usual recruiters. sadly not much else you can do only network and keep knocking on doors until someone answers.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thanks for the response. I guess the issue I have as well is that I don't have any exemptions in the ACCA whatsoever, so realistically would any firm outside of the Big4 even look at me? I realise doing the first three online is doable. Anyone have any idea how long this might take to do however?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I guess the issue I have as well is that I don't have any exemptions in the ACCA whatsoever, so realistically would any firm outside of the Big4 even look at me? I realise doing the first three online is doable. Anyone have any idea how long this might take to do however?

Big4 recruits start next month, there's always a few who will have accepted the job and don't want it now or who won't have got the college grades they need.

Could be no harm to get in touch with them over the next few weeks, if you come across well and have a good cv there's a decent chance of getting interviewed. Make sure and you're able to talk about why you decided on accounting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

the Big 4 is great on the CV

But in reality your going to cover a greater selection of areas and topics in a smaller accountancy firm.

any one I know who trained in big 4 spent 3.5 years ticking boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm considering a career in accounting. I'm about to finish a masters in Financial Economics (Will achieve 2:1 or 1:1 at a push) and after briefly starting in a retail banking job (Which I've figured out after only a few weeks that I despise, and effectively boils down to nothing more than a sales role fundamentally), I've decided I want a solid role which rely's on your knowledge as opposed to your ability to sell. Problem is, I've come to this realisation at a fairly bad time of the year I think. There are essentially no roles currently being advertised with the Big 4, and I think some Tax and Audit roles being advertised with BDO and Mazars (But only on Jobbio.com, for some reason.I have emailed them to find out if these roles actually exist and are they for an immediate start.

So basically, does anyone know of any ad-hoc recruitment that takes place by the big 4/other mid tier firms happens at this time of the year?

Thanks
    Michael

Look at ACA, I can't post links but you will find training vacancies if you google chartered accountants ireland training vacancies.

The big 4 tend to do milk rounds, they will start advertising soon for next year. You will be competing with a lot of people though, so don't rely on these alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Timbo1987

ACCA exams doable in 3 to 3.5 years. F1-F4 all online and are simple. F5-F9 paper exams. P1-P3 3 mandatory professional papers. 2 Optional P's then from P4-P7.
    Exam sitting every 3 months now so can pass 4 per year doing 1 (or 2 if ambitious) at a time.

I agree training in a smaller firm gives better training, more broad, different work.
    Big 4 you get great training in 1 area. Anything else you will not see.

Good Luck!!

Advertisement