Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City hotel with easy access by road

Options
  • 04-09-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm travelling to a wedding in Wicklow and was hoping to stay the night before in Dublin city itself. I'll be approaching Dublin from the Northside.

Can anyone recommend a hotel or area that has easy access in and out of the city by road as I'm driving and in a decent area of the city? Car parking would be required too.

I know very little about Dublin as its been years since I was in there. I'm trying to avoid all the doom and gloom threads about safety in the city, but obviously I don't want to end up in a skanky area!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nowhere has great access to the city by road from the north. I would look at staying outside the city or just go to Wicklow.

If you want to stay in the city near roads *out* - evening traffic is fairly mild - the Ashling Hotel is a modern 4* very close to the R148/N4 out which is probably the highest quality road out of the city - separated dual carriageway out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

Crowne Plaza at Northwood maybe?
    Clontarf Castle?

Suburban north side but far ish out but still taxi-ride away.

City Centre Ashling is lovely. It's got off street parking but incredibly tight spaces.

There's more options in the city centre and southern inner suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - thanks for the replies.

Maybe I should change plans and opt for somewhere with access to city centre. My plan is to possibly meet up with some friends who live in Dublin when I'm down there. It's not set in stone yet that I'm meeting up with anyone, I'd just like the option.

Although I'm coming in from the north side I think now that I'd prefer to travel the extra bit that day to the southside.

Does this make things any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

The Ashling is in the city centre basically opposite Heuston Station.
    It's a 3 min taxi to town. Luas stop is almost outside door.

I wouldn't recommend walking the quays at night - too lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

theres a hotel beside connolly train station, cant remember the name now but they have a carpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

neris wrote: »
    theres a hotel beside connolly train station, cant remember the name now but they have a carpark

It's the North Star... the car parking isn't free, is an extra cost and keys have to be left with the parking company ... recommend reading their trip advisor page...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

Maybe the Clayton in Leopards Town. Just off the M50 two minute walk to the Luas into town and straight back on the the M50 to Wicklow the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Stephenc66 wrote:
    Maybe the Clayton in Leopards Town. Just off the M50 two minute walk to the Luas into town and straight back on the the M50 to Wicklow the following day

I was going to say this! Alternatively, the Beacon, Stillorgan Park or Radisson St Helen's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Sounds like you want the Gibson hotel (beside the point/O2 arena).
    You can come in by the tunnel and only have to do 2 minutes worth of easy city driving.

It's a quick walk into town but is also right beside the luas if you want to get that to o'Connell street.

In general though, I think you're maybe over-thinking this and putting a bit too much weight on scare-stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

I was going to say this! Alternatively, the Beacon, Stillorgan Park or Radisson St Helen's.

All three on the right side of the city for leaving the following day. Beacon and Radisson both have free parking, Stillorgan Park may have to I'm not familiar with it. Taxi ride in and out of town which might be handier if you are not familiar with the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

NiallBoo wrote: »
    In general though, I think you're maybe over-thinking this and putting a bit too much weight on scare-stories.

Absolutely.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I didn't expect them to be so expensive though! As I'm booking for early next year, is there a better time than now to book?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are unlikely to get cheaper. There is a severe shortage of hotel rooms in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Morans Red Cow Hotel maybe? At M50 Red Cow roundabout. Next to the Luas, rapid transport into town.

Somehow, I completely forgot to complete this task until now! :pac:
    Should be okay though as I've got a few months yet to book.

I've been checking and I need to head out the N81 in the subsequent morning.

It could be possible that I don't get over until 5pm - although my plan is to get down early in the afternoon. Will it be hell getting into the Ashling at that time of night? It is quite an expensive hotel.

If I go to plan I'll have time to muck about in the evening and morning - not sure if staying out on the ring is wise, is it?

I'll be leaving late morning for the wedding so i don't want to get blocked by Dublin weekend traffic. Is it bad late morning?

The ones recommended on this thread are:
    Ashling: €128
    Morans Red Cow: €94
    Morrison - DoubleTree by Hilton: €179
    Radisson St Helens: €119
    Clayton Leopardstown: €84
    Gibson: €140
    Gresham: €98
    Beacon: €115
    Stillorgan Park (Talbot Hotel): €89

Others:
    Glashaus (Tallaght): €69
    Maldron (Tallaght): €63
    Hilton Dublin: €117

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The Plaza tallaght, and maybe Abberley court tallaght.

Am I better to stay in the centre (i.e. Ashling, Hilton Dublin or Clayton Burlington Rd - assumming the R111 is okay to get in and out on?) or else stay out in Tallaght in the Red Cow or Maldron at Newlands Cross and go in/out on the Luas?

Or should I just stump up for city centre for the sake of an extra €30. I've no idea as to whether Tallaght is suitable or not for visiting people in Dublin for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you're going to be meeting people in the city centre then the Ashling is your best bet (though Gresham could be good too). Bit pointless driving to Tallaght then getting Luas back into town, meet mates then back to hotel on Luas.

Driving out the Saturday morning isn't going to be much of an issue. Remember part of your "saving" would be used up on Luas fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Tallaght wouldn't be the best bet. While the Luas is handy in, getting back in a taxi will be ~€30 depending on where you pick it up.

Red Cow wouldn't be as bad, €15-€20 taxi from Dame Street and on the M50

I'd probably opt to just stay in town, it's a pretty easy city to drive around

• Advertisement

Thanks - I've got it now down to:

Ashling: €120 + €11 Breakfast + €10 parking = €141
    Hilton Dublin: €92 inc breakfast + €15 parking = €117 (€5 for internet!!!)
    Clayton Burlington Rd: €98 + €10 parking = €108

Is the premium for the Ashling worth it? Sorry for so many questions - I've never driven around Dublin before and only benn there a handful of times in total!

Change of plan. I can no longer meet my friend in the city.

I'm able to alter my booking for free, any point switching to one of the other two ones I've listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If you're coming from Northside heading to Wicklow, you have no need to stay anywhere near town now.

Ashling: €128
    Morans Red Cow: €94
    Morrison - DoubleTree by Hilton: €179
    Radisson St Helens: €119
    Clayton Leopardstown: €84
    Gibson: €140
    Gresham: €98

Beacon: €115
    Stillorgan Park (Talbot Hotel): €89

Others:
    Glashaus (Tallaght): €69
    Maldron (Tallaght): €63
    Hilton Dublin: €117

All un-split are south side, on way to Wicklow, if not meeting anybody why not drive directly to Wicklow, saves stopping in D18?

Of the ones left, Stillorgan Park is the best value, on one of the best bus routes in the country the 46A (check Bagatelle Summer in Dublin, it's that famous! :)) in and out of town in 20 minutes, buses every 5-6 mins or something close to that with free parking.
    Clayton is bearable and basic, on Luas line, 22 mins to town (used to be Bewleys).
    Beacon has a plush bar, small walk to Luas station and then onto town, not worth the extra cost over Stillorgan Park Hotel imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

As mentioned above, makes no sense to stop anywhere in Dublin now that your plans have changed, why not just keep going straight on to Wicklow. It would only be another 45 mins along the M50 depending on the traffic.

Any recommendations for an alternative place to stay?
    I'll be down mid afternoon and don't want to be in somewhere with feck all to do for the evening.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Beacon has a plush bar, small walk to Luas station and then onto town, not worth the extra cost over Stillorgan Park Hotel imo.

Thanks for that info. Although I'e just realised that I'm heading more inland than that - down the opposite side of the Wicklow mountains, so the ones I had listed in Tallaght and on the west side would be more applicable.

I'll still be down early afternoon, so I'll be looking for somewhere with something to do for an afternoon and a morning...

Any recommendations for an alternative place to stay?
    I'll be down mid afternoon and don't want to be in somewhere with feck all to do for the evening.

Anyone?
    I'd switch out to the Red Cow on the N7 or Tallaght if I thought it would be a better option. I intend to arrive by 2:30-3:00pm and I'll have a few hours in the next morning too.

Okay- I've decided that I need to switch out to the South West of the city. Any recommendations for a place with something to keep me occupied for an afternoon/evening?
    An hotel or B&B with a nice restaurant on site or nearby would be good or some other thing to keep me occupied for an evening.

What is the traffic like on the M50 in the evening? Would I be better booking northside and then go on M50 in the morning? I've not driven on M50 before, so a bit nervy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Avoid the M50 South in the mornings at all costs! Staying northside makes zero sense

Advertisement