Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

We get "freak" weather during the winter sometimes in Barcelona, so definitely advisable to be prepared. I was a few miles down the coast in Sitges last year in mid February and it was 24c.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When I did it the weather was quite comfortable for running - 12-13 at the start and 17 ish a hair under 4 hours later :)

The area near the beach is very exposed though and can feel warmer than it actually is on a sunny day.

I'd personally be more worried about a hot day in a late April race, says she doing London!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nearly 9,500 entries with over 3 months left to race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just signed up for this this morning.
    I did it three years ago and really enjoyed it, albeit it was a little hot towards the end.
    Plan will be to get around in approx 3:30-3:40 and then focus on going sub 3:20 in Summer time in perhaps Cork or Portmuna...

belcarra wrote: »
    Just signed up for this this morning.
    I did it three years ago and really enjoyed it, albeit it was a little hot towards the end.
    Plan will be to get around in approx 3:30-3:40 and then focus on going sub 3:20 in Summer time in perhaps Cork or Portmuna...

That's our tour guide sorted so, Mayo men know the best pubs, god knows they have spend enough time drowning there sorrows in them.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

tang1 wrote: »
    That's our tour guide sorted so, Mayo men know the best pubs, god knows they have spend enough time drowning there sorrows in them.......

Ah jaysus Tang, straight in for the kill!
    It's only been 2 months, I'm still raw from those dirty Dubs cheating their way to another AI with even the ref confirming he favoured the Dubs by not black carding John Small... And now the mother of all insults - A Westmeath man taking the piss!!!???:pac:

Last time in Barca we spent the evening drinking in the George Payne but to be honest I think we'll go elsewhere this time...We have a few months to work out the finer detail!

A pity Barca are playing away to Deportivo that weekend.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Does Barcelona generally sell out?

I'm pretty sure I'll enter but I've a house move on the way so training will be hampered for the guts of a month over January.

All going according to plan hoping to enter in February if there's places still left. Flights and accommodation will definitely be pricey then.

How's everyone's training going? 8 weeks from this Sunday till D-Day!! To early to be looking at weather forecasts.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

How's everyone's training going? 8 weeks from this Sunday till D-Day!! To early to be looking at weather forecasts.........
    First marathon with long run up to 28km this weekend. All going well so far. Tempo and interval training also going well. Constantly hungry these days it seems. Definitely taking on more calories than ever before but weight staying consistent or even a little down.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

So far so good although I won't be welcoming the forecast cold snap this week. Can do without ice and snow on an LSR. This will be my first marathon I run in a singlet. Fingers crossed for moderate temperatures. Do they till sell P20? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm having a disaster!

Got shin splints in December and barely ran. Did 15 miles last sat and it felt ok, so need to get back on plan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Having a disaster too

Injured my knee start of December and could only go back last night. Managed 7km and it swelled up again

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Managed an 18 miler last week and felt good throughout ... 3 days later I can barely breathe with a chest infection!!
    Grand scheme of things, its not going too bad for me (I've tempted faith now, haven't I!!)

Ticking along well at the minute myself, 14 miles on the plan for Saturday. Averaged 40 miles a week at the minute but this week sees it move closer to 50. Only planning one build up race at the Trim 10 mile next month & then should have a better idea where I'm at and what time MAY be on the cards for Barcelona.

Ticking along well at the minute myself, 14 miles on the plan for Saturday. Averaged 40 miles a week at the minute but this week sees it move closer to 50. Only planning one build up race at the Trim 10 mile next month & then should have a better idea where I'm at and what time MAY be on the cards for Barcelona.
    Was considering going to try a half early next month somewhere warmer perhaps abroad. Partly to get a weekend away and also to fit in some running in warmer weather.

chris85 wrote: »
    Was considering going to try a half early next month somewhere warmer perhaps abroad. Partly to get a weekend away and also to fit in some running in warmer weather.

Good plan if you can do it, no go for me I'm afraid and hoping it won't be overly warm in Spain come early March. Was lucky with Rotterdam last April, hoping for same from the weather gods this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Anyone taking on the marathon ?
    Looking forward to taking in the sights in differently this time ;)

Any interest for post marathon meet up beers? Is that not the whole reason we're running the marathon:D:D:D.

The http://www.thegeorgepayne.com has been popular in the past with Boardsies.

Other suggestions??

My first port of call after is this place http://www.abirradero.com, its only across the road from where we're staying and has a good choice of craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Any interest for post marathon meet up beers? Is that not the whole reason we're running the marathon:D:D:D.

The http://www.thegeorgepayne.com has been popular in the past with Boardsies.

Other suggestions??

My first port of call after is this place http://www.abirradero.com, its only across the road from where we're staying and has a good choice of craft beers.

I'd say we're staying fairly close to you B, that's around the corner from ours. Definitely up for post marathon beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The George Payne is ****e. Big cavernous hollow sports bar type of place. If looking to go to a decent bar, go to the Michael Collins or Flahertys. Drop me a PM if any interest in non Irish (and consequently much better value) spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

I'll be in Flaherty's after the race hydrating if anyone is about ;)

Wales v Ireland is on Friday 10th @ 9 pm so need an Irish pub for that. Albeit, with a water

Wales v Ireland is on Friday 10th @ 9 pm so need an Irish pub for that. Albeit, with a water

What kind of planning was that by the IRFU, putting a game on a Friday evening when Sunday afternoon was clearly the time to play it when the Irish lads could sit down and get twisted after running the Barcelona Marathon, bad bad form that.........

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Just signed up for the marathon this evening and fights & accommodation sorted.

Training going well hoping for sub 3'40.. should be a great few days all round.

**You need to pick up your race chip in person before 8pm on the Saturday(had to book an earlier flight).

+1 for apres beers in Flahertys.

Magoo

You can pre order your Asics pace band for collection at the expo. link is on one of the emails

I will probably do a light jog out for the breakfast run the day before. Do you think non marathon runners can join also? The wife is over with me so would be good if she could jog this for some fun and grab breakfast afterwards.

I will probably do a light jog out for the breakfast run the day before. Do you think non marathon runners can join also? The wife is over with me so would be good if she could jog this for some fun and grab breakfast afterwards.

She can do it, but register now. There were only 260 places left when i registered yesterday.

She can do it, but register now. There were only 260 places left when i registered yesterday.
    How do you see how many are left?
    I have registered us both now but no confirmation email received. Don't have her passport no to hand so made it up. Hope they wont be looking for that.

I have registered us both now but no confirmation email received. Don't have her passport no to hand so made it up. Hope they wont be looking for that.

It was in the top left corner of the booking page. Made up the passport number myself so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

It was in the top left corner of the booking page. Made up the passport number myself so fingers crossed!
    Grand. Got the email confirmation now so all good. 
    How are people getting on? 3 more weeks of hard enough training and then the taper starts. 30km this weekend, Dune HM on the 12th as a tune up, 34km on the 18th I hope. Will leave me with a 3 week taper. This is my first marathon and just aiming to finish and would be delighted with below 4hr 15min finish which is a time I have been aiming towards.

Advertisement